PDA

View Full Version : Vista Home Premium on Mac

NelsonX
7th July 2007, 11:36 PM
Hi, I'm waiting on a new MBP to arrive and have started thinking about my transistion from Windows Vista. I have been looking into Parallels virtualisation, but my reasearch tells me that Vista Home Premium is not supported? Can anyone confirm?

Also, if I'm currently using an installation of Vista Home Premium on my Dell desktop can you advise how I would deactive & transfer the licence to my Mac?

thanks

NelsonX

Huy
7th July 2007, 11:55 PM
I think it will work. You're just not supposed to, I think, under the EULA/licensing agreement but it is possible to virtualize, I'm pretty sure anyway.

From the Parallels website:
Microsoft Windows Guest Operating Systems:
Windows Vista Business
Windows Vista Enterprise
Windows Vista Ultimate

But I think it'll do the other versions... except I'm not 100% on how it'll enforce it (maybe it does a check to see what version you have?)

Never know until you try...

Atomac
7th July 2007, 11:56 PM
Yeah, should work. I don't think Windows will know if it is virtualised. When it comes to registering it you might have to spin a line.

BiRDBRAiN
8th July 2007, 12:00 AM
I heard that the DRM stuff in the Home editions gets borked by virtualisation, which is why they don't want it to be run like that.

Who knows, but I've tested it and it runs pretty well on a Macbook. MBP should be no problem.

NelsonX
8th July 2007, 12:40 AM
thanks I'll give this a try when my comp. arrives. Still undecided on boot camp or parallels at this stage.

goodnight.

Huy
8th July 2007, 01:42 AM
If you have a MBP, or even MB, I would say Parallels.
Unless there is a reason otherwise :)