PDA

View Full Version : Backup app

iThinkMac
7th July 2007, 08:46 PM
What's the BEST free routine backup app?

Thanks,
iTM

bullrout
7th July 2007, 09:00 PM
SilverKeeper (http://www.lacie.com/silverkeeper/) was pretty good when I last used it.

Mac Ram
7th July 2007, 09:13 PM
Super Duper is free - unless you want to schedule. Bloody good app.

meinrosebud
7th July 2007, 09:43 PM
Super Duper is free - unless you want to schedule. Bloody good app.

And you can boot the Superduper img file if you have too.:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Currawong
7th July 2007, 10:04 PM
SuperDuper by far. I back up computers to images or other disks.

detail
7th July 2007, 11:03 PM
With all the discussion of the problems of retrieval of data following hard disk failure or human error is this the right question?

After having spent big bucks on the computer (and the digital camera) the question is, how can I do the best job to keep these digital files? Or, how silly would I feel if I lost everything?

To back up a number of files you need either a external hard drive and super duper, or if you only have a few then you can get away with something like Toast and a DVD.

If you back up manually there is a tendency to forget to do it, or do it sporadically. Then there's no one to blame but yourself if you ever lose any files.

If you pay about $32 you can download the full version of Superduper which you can easily schedule to backup automatically. Everyday when you have changed files they are automatically copied to another hard disk.

Because I run my business I backup to 3 separate hard drives each night and make a weekly DVD. I'd be pissed off if I lost some photos because I didn't get round to making other copies. I do other things like rename a file each day so I have a full history of each job as well.

When Time machine comes out you will still need another hard disk.

In the meantime its better to protect the data that is essential than hope nothing will happen.

FreeFrag
7th July 2007, 11:12 PM
I just have a script on my desktop -

sudo ditto -V -rsrc /users/username /Volumes/Storage/iMac/username/
sudo ditto -V -rsrc /applications /Volumes/Storage/iMac/Applications/