PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Cracked.

iCameron
6th July 2007, 08:51 PM
*** If this breaks any rules just delete! ***

the team from Hackint0sh. have hacked the activation on the iphone

and is in the progress of doing more with the phone,

iPhoneInterface

We have successfully written a tool named iPhoneInterface allowing for some basic manipulation of things on the phone, and are releasing it tonight. We are including source code so you can understand the techniques we have used so far. We will be expanding the functionality of this tool significantly tomorrow. The best news is that we have prototype code that allows the ability to:

Run any desired application already residing on the phone.
Control what processes run on the phone (currently implementation is very hackish)
Move files around on the phone
Enable viewing of verbose information during the restore process
Activate the phone without iTunes and without a tokenNote: Not all of the features listed above are necessarily included in tonight's initial release.
We are continuing significant work on this tool and will probably have similarly worthwhile updates tomorrow.

I will post a link if allowed.

cosmichobo
6th July 2007, 09:12 PM
So... 1 week and the iPhone is already being ripped apart :)

How many sold to date?

asphotos
6th July 2007, 09:12 PM
approx ~1 million..

marc
6th July 2007, 09:15 PM
Ripped apart, but not much can be done (yet!).

nbetts
6th July 2007, 09:41 PM
but the way things are moving its probably just a matter of days rather than weeks or months.

Interesting that it has becoime a race to see who can get it done and free the iphone.

Hamsmyth
6th July 2007, 10:27 PM
Reminds me of the race to get windows on a Mac. Although I never saw the point of that...

They still havent cracked it to work as a phone yet have they? As I understand its only useable as an the best iPod Apple Has Ever Made/Breakthrough Internet Device.

MightyAtom
6th July 2007, 10:43 PM
They still havent cracked it to work as a phone yet have they?
Well according to the latest update on the Dev wiki they say:

We know how to unlock the phone, so the question now is whether we can get the commands to the radio or not. We don't believe our method is the only method, but assuming that with the help of some very smart folks we can get access to the radio, the firmware should be trivial to unlock.

pixelicious
7th July 2007, 08:46 PM
get ready for the liPhone :P which personally I'm all for.

I've read some reports that say that the iphone has the root password enabled with password "dottie" and a standard user account called "mobile" with password "alpine". Perhaps these guys should have read an article or two about strong passwords... I believe the machines they broke it on did both in 16 seconds...

also, running applications at UID=0 (aka root privileges) is VERY risky.

I'm imagining an awesome interface with apps like istumbler / nmap to play with :D:D:D

jeremy_warnock
7th July 2007, 09:56 PM
get ready for the liPhone :P which personally I'm all for.

I've read some reports that say that the iphone has the root password enabled with password "dottie" and a standard user account called "mobile" with password "alpine". Perhaps these guys should have read an article or two about strong passwords... I believe the machines they broke it on did both in 16 seconds...

also, running applications at UID=0 (aka root privileges) is VERY risky.

I'm imagining an awesome interface with apps like istumbler / nmap to play with :D:D:D

I have read similar reports expect they gone onto say the passwords are useless possibly left over from development nor throw in just throw the hackers off the sent. Lest wait and see what actually happens

Currawong
7th July 2007, 10:03 PM
Well, bad passwords or not, it would require some means to log in to the phone for it to be bad security. I don't imagine that the iPhone has any means to log in. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

mab
7th July 2007, 11:38 PM
Well, bad passwords or not, it would require some means to log in to the phone for it to be bad security. I don't imagine that the iPhone has any means to log in. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

iPhone SERIAL HACKED, FULL INTERACTIVE SHELL (http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1408)

Exocet
7th July 2007, 11:39 PM
Godspeed, nerds! *wipes tear from eye*

akaddk
8th July 2007, 01:24 AM
Forgive the layman here, but, err... what does all this mean?

If it all results in me being able to use the iPhone here on any network I like with full functionality and without having to master a degree in technobabble nerd level 4, then... score!

If, however, it means rich nerds with too much time on their hands can get limited functionality out of it, then... meh.

gaehl
8th July 2007, 01:39 AM
akaddk at the moment it means the later and unless a carrier also changes there end I don't think visual voice mail will work even after the get it cracked.

Even if it does get cracked apple could push out a firmware update and lock it down again would you really want an iPhone that you either couldn't hook to a computer or every now and then wouldn't be working?

mac_man_luke
8th July 2007, 01:40 AM
There would be no way apple could force a firmware update, it would always give you a choice

Disko
8th July 2007, 02:33 AM
There would be no way apple could force a firmware update, it would always give you a choice

"We're adding 'iChat Phone' for free, on the free iPhone firmware update 1.01."

akaddk
8th July 2007, 11:53 AM
I will never, ever, ever understand the machinations of companies and corporations and boards. Firefly being a prime example of corporate idiocy. There is an obvious demand outside the US... why not cater to it?

I've heard Telstra are the problem in Australia which further confounds me. What have they got to lose? They could've been the AT&T of the Australian end but instead they just refuse to cater to it.

Telstra always seem to be making things worse for this country. Let's blow them up. Who's with me?

nbetts
8th July 2007, 12:24 PM
Ok i went ahead an bought one.

*waits patiently for the nerds to unlock*

Gotta heart the nerds :)

feeze
8th July 2007, 12:45 PM
I will never, ever, ever understand the machinations of companies and corporations and boards. Firefly being a prime example of corporate idiocy. There is an obvious demand outside the US... why not cater to it?

Uhhh, they have already announced that they are going to release the iPhone outside the US. They already have European carriers contracted. I have no doubt that they would currently be in negotiations with an Australian telco.

Seriously, what did you expect Apple to do? Roll out a simultaneous world wide launch? I doubt a big company like Microsoft would even be able to do something like that, yet alone Apple.

the_cripple
8th July 2007, 01:41 PM
Sounds good so far. Though all we need is for ebay prices to become reasonable, though I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Shere Khaan
8th July 2007, 09:42 PM
Yeah a world wide release is one thing for an established manufacturer, but it's another for a first timer in an industry. It would take Apple a lot of time to get their collective heads around all the pit falls in the telco industry in so many countries.

The next one or other will be a lot closer to simultaneous release when they have all their international systems in place.