PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia driver updates?

Kim
6th July 2007, 08:49 PM
Hi all,

I am using Cinema 4D on a 2.4ghz MacBook Pro (with the GeForce 8600M GT graphics card). Unfortunately the graphics card drivers that come with OSX cause Cinema 4D to crash when using the "Enhanced Open GL" feature - so I have to disable this (which is a shame - it makes a big difference with the quality on screen).

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the Nvidia drivers under OSX?

Cheers,
Kim

Byrd
6th July 2007, 08:58 PM
Unfortunately there are no third-party nVidia drivers for OS X; and with the 8600GT being such a new chipset, it could be a bug with OS X's OpenGL implementation for the card, or Cinema 4D itself.

I'd keep an eye out for any updates with 4D, and see if there are any workarounds online.

JB

Kim
7th July 2007, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I emailed Maxon Support (makers of C4D) - and they said it is a driver issue, and that there was not much that could be done on OSX to fix this.

It's a shame there is not an nVidia preference pane or something with configuration/driver options. Would be nice :)

Cheers,
Kim

Unfortunately there are no third-party nVidia drivers for OS X; and with the 8600GT being such a new chipset, it could be a bug with OS X's OpenGL implementation for the card, or Cinema 4D itself.

I'd keep an eye out for any updates with 4D, and see if there are any workarounds online.

JB

kim jong il
7th July 2007, 09:48 PM
Seems to me that Maxon are having a buck passing problem. They tout their package as cross platform but blame Apple over a video driver issue? Apple might well reply that maybe Maxon should work a bit harder on their coding issues. :)

geektechnu
7th July 2007, 10:12 PM
The way I understand, OpenGL is a standard spec. designed for cross-platform.
It is up to the drivers to interpret GLSL correctly.

If Cinema4D's enhanced OpenGL functionality works on other platforms (it does), then it would seem that Maxon is adhering to the OpenGL spec.

Video drivers on the other hand should not be considered error free. For PC platforms nVidia Drivers are constantly updated. Sometimes it's to support new chipsets, but more often bug fixes are involved.

I'm not sure how Maxon would go about "fixing" a Cinema4D crash caused by a particular OpenGL extension/function not working correctly on one specific chipset. They would either have to remove the offending code (at the loss of functionality that may be critical), or replace it with another equivalent function(s) (not always possible).

scritch
7th July 2007, 10:19 PM
Hi all,

I am using Cinema 4D on a 2.4ghz MacBook Pro (with the GeForce 8600M GT graphics card). Unfortunately the graphics card drivers that come with OSX cause Cinema 4D to crash when using the "Enhanced Open GL" feature - so I have to disable this (which is a shame - it makes a big difference with the quality on screen).

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the Nvidia drivers under OSX?

Cheers,
Kim

Have you allowed the "MacBook Pro Software Update (1.0)" on your system? If so - this updated the nVidia drivers, and may do one of the following:

(a) Fix your issues
(b) Cause your issues
(c) Do nothing

If you have it installed, uninstall it (if you can), or clone (using Carbon Copy or SuperDuper) a mirror backup of your drive to an external USB or Firewire disk, and reinstall (format and reinstall) Mac OSX, but don't run this update.

I read somewhere that this update caused another software program to crash due to OpenGL errors.

If you don't have it installed, install it and see if it helps.

Regards,
Shane.

Kim
8th July 2007, 05:32 PM
Have you allowed the "MacBook Pro Software Update (1.0)" on your system? If so - this updated the nVidia drivers, and may do one of the following:

I have installed that update - and did not test C4D prior to installing the update.

I'll probably end up living without the Enhanced Open GL features - but if I ever need to do a reinstall of the OS, I'll certainly test C4D without the Pro Software Update first!

Kim