PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] Australia's carrier for the iPhone

Quasar
6th July 2007, 06:36 PM
Now I'm never likely to in a million years buy an iPhone (I've never had an interest in owning a mobile, let alone one that's likely to cost $1000 plus $100/month or whatever the plan is likely to cost), but still I am curious about how its likely to appear in Australia.

I seem to recall Telstra saying it had no interest (of course with its initial success they probably have changed their mind). Anyone have any thoughts on this matter?

kingkangkong
6th July 2007, 07:01 PM
there is so many rumours in the wind that I have decided to ignore them.

imo, it'll come when it comes.

But it'll be great if we get the euro 3G sets.

chrism238
16th July 2007, 10:22 AM
Those mad enough to have been watching Ch 10's business report at 6:20am today would have heard a report stating (or was it just hedging?) that Telstra would be the carrier for the iPhone "because Telstra covers most of Australia". That was it....

gmask1
16th July 2007, 10:40 AM
I can't wait for Telstra to announce that they are the iPhone carriers, and how they were always certain that it would be the 'next big thing' (tm), and that they were the natural choice for a company as likeminded as Apple.

I think I just died a little.

kendals
16th July 2007, 11:15 AM
Hahaha, what a bunch of idiots. "We hate the iPhone" ....."We LOVE the iPhone" .....

I hope they don't get it, and everybody else does. ie.. Optus, so I can get it :)

Disko
16th July 2007, 11:36 AM
Honestly, i'm hoping it's open on the whole Australian market. I don't see why Apple can't do deals with each provider. 3G isn't available on only one network - it's available on all the major ones.

If one provider had to take it over the rest, i'd hope for optus or vodafone.

locus
16th July 2007, 11:40 AM
Yeah I hope Optus get it too. Anyone but Telstra really!

scokim
16th July 2007, 11:44 AM
I hope anyone but Optus and Telstra.

niknewys
16th July 2007, 11:46 AM
i reckon it's going to be someone like 'vodafone'. they always seem to support the different kind of phones.

the ipone is going to be too advanced for telstra. to much of a risk i think!

anyway, thanks my 2 cents....
i hope it is telstra too.. as i'm with telstra with home and work... but we'll see what happens ig uess

rob05
16th July 2007, 11:46 AM
I am hoping for Optus or Vodafone.

Telstra no way known should get it.

mechcon
16th July 2007, 11:48 AM
to be different, I'll put a vote for 3... in thread #411198 regarding the australian iphone carrier of choice....

d_mini
16th July 2007, 11:49 AM
I want it to be 3. They are the only one's in this country doing things differently and the most like-minded brandwise.

semaja2
16th July 2007, 11:54 AM
Never going to be a network like 3, Apple will NEVER EVER let someone slap their 3 logo onto the iPhone, plus almost all 3 features such as their portal will be replaced instantly with iTunes equivalents.

As for the other networks i can only assume Vodafone and Telstra are the biggest companies to pull it off

DJY
16th July 2007, 11:59 AM
Can anyone confirm that AT&T / Cingular also is starting a NextG equivalent 3G network on the 850 spectrum? So they and Telstra are some of the only Telco's to do a 3G network on the 850 rather than 2100 spectrum.

If so - and IF they do make a 3G version - wouldn't that make it easier for us to actually get it - if the hardware they are making for the American's will already work on our NextG network with the multi year exclusive deal AT&T have done with Apple?

I for one would be very happy with that!
Means we might get it faster, it will have the fastest download options, and the biggest coverage for rural / regional Australia!

deang
16th July 2007, 12:04 PM
While I absolutely loathe Telstra it might be advantageous if they do get it as they have the most resources at their disposal and use it to its full extent. Might be a conflict for them however, with their music downloading business and the iTunes store?

Might be a good time for AT&T to break into the Australian market?

Who ever gets it one thing can be sure - it wont be as reasonably priced as it is in the USA.

mechcon
16th July 2007, 12:10 PM
Never going to be a network like 3, Apple will NEVER EVER let someone slap their 3 logo onto the iPhone, plus almost all 3 features such as their portal will be replaced instantly with iTunes equivalents.

As for the other networks i can only assume Vodafone and Telstra are the biggest companies to pull it off

Actually, Vodafone brand their phones too, and have their own proprietary menuing systems, ala Three..

MacMatt
16th July 2007, 12:26 PM
My vote would be for either Optus or Vodafone, ... But I can understand should Telstra get it....

volks
16th July 2007, 12:29 PM
I saw the news report just now, I am on telstra with a sony t68i and have been hanging out for the iphone, I saw it in san fran earlier this year, one thing the US have is access to wifi, hotspots, amazing services etc... I just can't see how telstra will offer a reasonable data package to the public, without their corporate suit money making mentality getting in the way... and I don't really want video downloads etc on my iphone coming from telstra... why would I want afl and V8 crap jamming up my phone...

I really hope google maps in aust works, thats a killer feature, and should be a free feature, not some data $$$ money grap by telstra everytime you use it... they could tie in sensis yellow and while pages to google maps... now that would be useful....

Another story below... telstra PR machine must be in damage control... dripping out the story to the news services...

I don't care who takes it... the iphone needs cheap data plans for it's features to work in a way for the public to love it I reckon.....

------------>

http://apcmag.com/6525/telstra_softens_its_iphone_criticism

Telstra softens its iPhone criticism

Telstra technology chief Greg Winn: initially said Apple should stick to its knitting
Telco giant Telstra says it isn't ruling out carrying the iPhone, after all.
Earlier in the year, Telstra's technology boss, Greg Winn, launched a blistering attack on the
iPhone, calling it "old hat" and saying that "There's an old saying -- stick to your knitting --
and Apple is not a mobile phone manufacturer, that's not their knitting."
Despite the fact that no mobile phone manufacturer has ever produced a phone that has
remotely similar levels of ease-of-use as the iPhone, Winn also said, "You can pretty much be
assured that Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson and ZTE and others will be coming out with
devices that have similar functionality."
Since the enormous worldwide hype for the iPhone, the carrier appears to have softened its
stance.......

Geoff3DMN
16th July 2007, 12:30 PM
Please not 3 or Vodafone... they have bugger all coverage outside the large metro areas, and the data roaming costs are a killer.

Optus would be better, but really the only decent coverage 3G network (much as it hurts to say it) is Telstra *sigh*.

tempestas
16th July 2007, 12:48 PM
Lets face it, if its Hel$tra then expect a $150+ a month data plan for basic plus a charge for every service you can think of, it would also expect Apple to drop Google maps in favour of their Sensis - Whereis service (again at a fee per use)

Not that the other mobile carriers are necessarily any better. The real issue in Australia might not be the cost of the iPhone, but how to afford connecting it to any network.

silverdreamer
16th July 2007, 12:54 PM
This subject has been done to death.

personal opinions and preferences aside.

If Telstra gets the iphone it will be available to everyone in Australia who wants one. They are the only carrier who can guarantee that, so if you are ALL smart, and ALL want an iphone. ( A phones a phones a phone, as far as I'm concerned!)
Cross your fingers, put your personal predudice aside and hope to hell Telstra get the deal.

Suits more people more of the time.
:cool:

MrJesseRoss
16th July 2007, 12:56 PM
This subject has been done to death.

personal opinions and preferences aside.

If Telstra gets the iphone it will be available to everyone in Australia who wants one. They are the only carrier who can guarantee that, so if you are ALL smart, and ALL want an iphone. ( A phones a phones a phone, as far as I'm concerned!)
Cross your fingers, put your personal predudice aside and hope to hell Telstra get the deal.

Suits more people more of the time.
:cool:

BUT THEY'RE TEL$TRA AND ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS MONEEEEEY!

:rolleyes:

But seriously, whoever is able to provide the greatest market for the iPhone will most likely get the deal. It won't be who's 'coolest', it will be who has the coverage and technology.

silverdreamer
16th July 2007, 01:02 PM

:rolleyes:

But seriously, whoever is able to provide the greatest market for the iPhone will most likely get the deal. It won't be who's 'coolest', it will be who has the coverage and technology.

Do you want an iphone or do you not? make up your mind, you can't have your cake and eat it too! You know it makes the most sense!

PS: You could always buy shares!:cool:

NORMANDY
16th July 2007, 01:24 PM
the 1130 am news on Channel 10 had Tesltra bidding for the contract with APPLE, that was it, and they have backflipped on the comment back in Jan 07 when a exec of Tesltra said "Apple should stick to their knitting", now saying, "we underestimated the selling power of this device, as the us launch saw 1 million units sold in 3 days".... Deeer Tel$tra, what did you expect!

wether it will be the new 3G version or a 2.5G one who knows?

mechcon
16th July 2007, 01:50 PM
I personally won't touch an iPhone unless it was 3G... as I'm sure many others will feel the same way (especially with GPRS speeds of data transfer... imagine that with youtube? YUCK)

toholio
16th July 2007, 02:09 PM
I personally won't touch an iPhone unless it was 3G... as I'm sure many others will feel the same way (especially with GPRS speeds of data transfer... imagine that with youtube? YUCK)

I'd much rather one with 3G but I'd still get one without. I don't know about where you are but there are plenty of open wi-fi networks around me. Also, with data charges being the way they are down under I can't imagine I'll want to be using it much away from those networks anyway.

Exocet
16th July 2007, 06:42 PM
As silverdreamer said, this topic has been done to death - search for "iPhone" and "telstra"/"optus"/"vodafone" and you'll find plenty of threads where this has been covered.

Mctastic
16th July 2007, 08:01 PM
[quote=jpicard;324984]the 1130 am news on Channel 10 had Tesltra bidding for the contract with APPLE, that was it, and they have backflipped on the comment back in Jan 07 when a exec of Tesltra said "Apple should stick to their knitting", now saying, "we underestimated the selling power of this device, as the us launch saw 1 million units sold in 3 days".... Deeer Tel$tra, what did you expect!

Damn, i find it very curious when 'big' marketing companies can make such short sighted statements, .. if i were a shareholder i'd put my money elsewhere :p

'idiots rule the world' :eek:

marc
16th July 2007, 08:12 PM
I'd much rather one with 3G but I'd still get one without. I don't know about where you are but there are plenty of open wi-fi networks around me. Also, with data charges being the way they are down under I can't imagine I'll want to be using it much away from those networks anyway.
That's fair enough. I think I agree.

I really want 3G, but it's not like any of us would want to use 3G a lot for data...

icant
16th July 2007, 08:30 PM
I wish the iPhone would be just like 99% of GSM phones:
buy it, and use it on whatever network you want.

What's with all these rumours of network exclusivity?

silverdreamer
16th July 2007, 08:38 PM
I wish the iPhone would be just like 99% of GSM phones:
buy it, and use it on whatever network you want.

Wish away!:cool:

Exocet
16th July 2007, 08:39 PM
The requirement for changes to be made to the winning carrier's voicemail platform to implement visual voicemail.

skip
17th July 2007, 12:25 AM
My gut feeling is that Telstra may well get it (even when the initial disparaging comments were made), but it is just as likely a 'smaller' carrier to cope with Apple's demands for visual voicemail requirements etc.

Still, I completely agree with this quote from a generally positive review on gizmodo:

So what's your main problem with the iPhone?
The real elephant in the room is the fact that I just spent $600 on my iPhone and it can't do some crucial functions that even $50 handsets can. I'm talking about MMS. Video recording. Custom ringtones. Mass storage. Fully functioning Bluetooth with stereo audio streaming. Voice dialing when you're using a car kit. Sending contact info to other people. Instant friggin' messenging. Sending an SMS to more than one recipient at a time.

Sort some of these, I might be interested ;)

jastormont
17th July 2007, 12:50 AM
Well I think really at present only Telstra have a network capable of using the IPhone for the mass area of Australia.

There new Next G network gives high speed data through a much larger area then 3G. To my knowledge the 3G network and the NextG network are diffrent, with 3G network only having coverage in the capitial cities. I remeber that the NextG is the replacement for CDMA and this will give the most high speed coverage. I was told Optus are about to release a similar network what will compete against Telstra's NextG network.

I hate Telstra with a pashion as they rip us all off. The NextG data plans are not affordable and you can not do anything with them with the data limits (this is even for large business as well). The price should come down with competition but as always this never seems to happen as it should. But at the end of the day, at present Telstra has the best high speed wirless data broadband option available which would be best to get the most out of a Iphone IMO. Just expect to pay big $$$ to use it. If Optus get a better network going I expect them to follow soon after if not from the beginning of it's launch here. Vodaphone I feel could be there too. Telstra I feel will be a sure thing though.

I feel give it time and the IPhone will be on all network providers networks all around the world.

dotnet
17th July 2007, 01:13 AM

Agreed.

Cheers
Steffen.

dotnet
17th July 2007, 01:14 AM

Is that right? Damn. Well, in that case lets hope the Salvos get it...

Cheers
Steffen.

jastormont
17th July 2007, 01:17 AM

Cheers
Steffen.

lol

There coverage could be an issue though.

toholio
17th July 2007, 08:00 AM
There coverage could be an issue though.

As would be the ringtones available.

"Onward Christian Soldiers Marching as to Waaaaar!"...

The Wuzz
17th July 2007, 08:55 AM
If telstra have the iphone exclusively then I won't be getting one. I just can't stand them and their bullshit.

Holding back our country year after year and NEXT G can eat me - It's just a bullshit name

MrJesseRoss
17th July 2007, 09:04 AM

Cheers
Steffen.

Sarcasm, guys. Sacasm.:cool:

silverdreamer
17th July 2007, 09:42 AM
If telstra have the iphone exclusively then I won't be getting one. I just can't stand them and their bullshit.

Holding back our country year after year and NEXT G can eat me - It's just a bullshit name

i betcha Telstra get it and I betcha get one!:D

hamishb
25th July 2007, 02:24 PM
Following Greg Winn's comments, I hope Telstra doesn't get it.

Three has great data rates....

And I want 3G and HSPDA with tethered modem access....

entropy
25th July 2007, 05:40 PM
Virign have just announced 3g broadband and voice packages starting at $60 including 4Gb data! MNVO on Optus.

adam89
25th July 2007, 06:16 PM
I seriously don't understand why people bitch about Telstra so much :S

Their call rates are cheaper than Optus' and they actually keep up to date with BlackBerrys...

For all of those who are bitching about Telstra not covering rural areas, well I don't see Optus doing it either...

adam89
25th July 2007, 06:23 PM
Lets face it, if its Hel$tra then expect a $150+ a month data plan for basic plus a charge for every service you can think of

Yes, because "Hel$tra" doesn't like offering it's customers value...

e.g. It's hiptop plan, $30 a month for unlimited data (EDGE), unlimited MMS and unlimited SMS.... PFFTTTT! WHAT A RIP OFF!

Shere Khaan
25th July 2007, 06:36 PM
e.g. It's hiptop plan, $30 a month for unlimited data (EDGE), unlimited MMS and unlimited SMS.... PFFTTTT! WHAT A RIP OFF!

I tried to get this new data package on my new phone without having to buy a crappy hiptop, but no luck.

These will be the sort of plans that we will see with the iphone no matter who gets it.

Exocet
25th July 2007, 06:38 PM
Yes, because "Hel$tra" doesn't like offering it's customers value...

I'm certainly enjoying the value, I spent $850 worth of SMS and pushed 108mb of data (standard pricing 2.2c/kb + 22c session fee). I paid $30 for the privilege. I agree, absolute ripoff :rolleyes:

This posted might I add from the train on my hiptop3 :)

scottgrot
25th July 2007, 06:45 PM
I was looking at the Optusnet website (http://www.optuszoo.com.au/welcome) yesterday and noticed a nineMSN partnership.

So my question is: wouldn't a partnership between Optus and Apple be a conflict of interest with Oputs and the 9MSN partnership? I wouldn't think that Optus and Optusnet are not under the same owner

melbmac
25th July 2007, 07:20 PM
I dont really care who gets it' I reckon i'll be getting one anyway (I need a new phone at the moment, but dont want to pay for one and dont want to commit to a contract)...

Angsty
25th July 2007, 10:33 PM
I would like to add that I think there are two sides to this debate.

Yes, which carrier will get it and what will they charge is one of the main questions.

The other question is: what will Apple want from the deal from the successful carrier?

The front-runner carriers in US and the UK have walked away from the iPhone deal after crunching the numbers of the deal that Apple was negotiating and deciding - nope... the figures do NOT add up, no thanks!

What deal and conditions will Apple be imposing on the winning Australian carrier? What features will be hobbled, what will be allowed, and how does the successful carrier deal with conflicts of interest with their own product offerings, eg: BigPond music Vs iTunes music store.

I'm just being a tad negative and thinking that I, the customer, is the LAST person they are going to think about with all their corporate manouvering and dealing......

Ang

iMac
25th July 2007, 10:54 PM

Their call rates are cheaper than Optus' and they actually keep up to date with BlackBerrys...

For all of those who are bitching about Telstra not covering rural areas, well I don't see Optus doing it either...

Yeah if anything I would encourage people to bitch more and more about three and how crap they are.

I for one hope to hell that they don't get the iphone contract, as I would not touch it with a 10-foot stick.

I hate three. I hate their service, products and well, everything. (Yes this is speaking from experience). I've had 4 phones from them in the past 2 years. Gay.

walexx
25th July 2007, 11:31 PM
Wow, Ive been with 3 since they stared. Ive found their customer service to b excellent, their innovation is far better than the other guys out their. X-series for a start has helped bring down data charges on all the networks so thats a good thing for everyone.

They are very reasonble on price, data charges are awesome, coverage in the city is great and outside the city you roam on telstra anyway.

I cant fault three. If iPhone were to go to another carrier other than 3, I will switch, but still remain a 3 customer. I wont port my number over. I see 3 as the Apple of the telco's. They are not scared to think outside of the square and they give things a go.

I find it amazing how many people put them down, my experience with them cannot be faulted, they get 15 out of 10 from my point of view atleast.

aussiegunner
26th July 2007, 01:39 PM
Wow, Ive been with 3 since they stared. Ive found their customer service to b excellent, their innovation is far better than the other guys out their. X-series for a start has helped bring down data charges on all the networks so thats a good thing for everyone.

They are very reasonble on price, data charges are awesome, coverage in the city is great and outside the city you roam on telstra anyway.

I cant fault three. If iPhone were to go to another carrier other than 3, I will switch, but still remain a 3 customer. I wont port my number over. I see 3 as the Apple of the telco's. They are not scared to think outside of the square and they give things a go.

I find it amazing how many people put them down, my experience with them cannot be faulted, they get 15 out of 10 from my point of view atleast.

i agree, so many people complain about them, and their coverage, but it falls back on telstra when there's a lack of 3G reception. Their customer service has been excellent and they have introduced so many features into Australia

sjobs
26th July 2007, 01:58 PM
I've had 4 phones from them in the past 2 years. Gay.

Do Three make their phones? No. Nokia/LG/Samsung/Motorola/etc do.... why blame 3 for shit phones they don't even manufacture? that's quite silly. :p

alby34
2nd August 2007, 09:13 PM

"There call rates are cheaper than Optus"
Yeah Right
$40 plan on Telstra gets you $40 worth of calls. 5min call costs $3.60
$49 Cap Plan on Optus gets you $300 worth of calls.5 min call costs $4.35
You get 69 (5) min calls with Optus and 11 (5) min calls with Telstra.
No wonder Telstra went to court to stop Optus running the Black and White ads.
I can see who gives the better value.

I just hope whoever gets the exclusive rights offer the customer a decent plan

silverdreamer
2nd August 2007, 09:33 PM
iMac, With that ......(Quote!)...4 phones from them in the past 2 years.Gay comment,.... are you inferring gay people are into short term commitment?:p

Exocet
2nd August 2007, 10:15 PM
I think they went to court because Optus is comparing a Capped plan with a standard mobile plan. Compare an Optus Capped Plan and a Telstra Capped Plan and they're more aligned than the advertising suggests.

adam89
2nd August 2007, 10:58 PM
"There call rates are cheaper than Optus"
Yeah Right
$40 plan on Telstra gets you $40 worth of calls. 5min call costs $3.60
$49 Cap Plan on Optus gets you $300 worth of calls.5 min call costs $4.35
You get 69 (5) min calls with Optus and 11 (5) min calls with Telstra.

I just hope whoever gets the exclusive rights offer the customer a decent plan

$79 Telstra Blackberry Cap gives you $300 worth of calls, plus $100 or $150 (i forget) to Telstra mobiles. Call rates are charged at 25c p/30 seconds.

$79 Optus Blackberry Cap gives you $300 worth of calls, charged at 35c p/30 seconds.

Optus isn't the best option for everyone.

forgie
3rd August 2007, 12:18 AM
Do Three make their phones? No. Nokia/LG/Samsung/Motorola/etc do.... why blame 3 for shit phones they don't even manufacture? that's quite silly. :p
Actually, I blame 3 for shit phones - they have a tendency to latch on to phones that have a bad rep for reliability (ala the nokia 6280 early on, and virtually every LG flip-phone), and they stick their own customised firmware on there, making it more difficult to update when some of the bugs in the prematurely released phones are fixed.

3's network has a tendency to randomly drop off and give you no reception even when in the CBD - either that or I've had to dud 3 phones in a row? I was at Melbourne uni today (where reception should be no problem whatsoever) and my 3 reception dropped off completely.... 3 seconds or so later I got full bars on Telstra roaming. Why did 3's 3G reception drop off in the CBD? And more to the point, why does it happen ALL THE TIME? :eek: