PDA

View Full Version : Well my mum just ordered a MacBook...

SyncMan
6th July 2007, 06:01 PM
Well my mum just ordered a MacBook, has she made a mistake? I hope not :D

I did a bit of searching around here and WP Apple forum, it seems that heat may be the only concern for her, can she get around that somehow for when she wants it on her lap?

Any other real issues with the MacBook?

BTW She will be going up from a G3 iBook, once it ran OS 9, she got shifted to OS v10.3.9, and now she will get such a jump to Intel C2D with 10.4.?

She will need to move over all documents, hopefully the old ones will still open, like maybe some IE Website archives, or maybe not :confused:

Any other thoughts on that front?

TIA.

BTW The old iBook G3 was starting to do what others here have had, screen flickering started last week.

purana
6th July 2007, 06:28 PM
Heat issues? umm my wifes core2duo Macbook is probably alot cooler then her coreduo Macbook Pro. So that's saying something.

If it's a current generation Macbook, I think she will be more then fine.

moo
6th July 2007, 06:37 PM

She will need to move over all documents, hopefully the old ones will still open, like maybe some IE Website archives, or maybe not :confused:

Use migration assistant to get all your settings and data from one to the other (it will step you or your mum through the process)

With the IE stuff Get Info on one of them and then have it set to open with Safari.

WonderBoy
6th July 2007, 06:38 PM
Writing this on a Core 2 Duo MacBook which is on my lap. No problems with heat here.

kingkangkong
6th July 2007, 07:28 PM
am actually grateful for the heat on a cold winter evening.

according to istat, my MB's CPU is running at 62c

Galumay
6th July 2007, 07:33 PM

so i see!! whingepool (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=776890)

she should have no dramas, i bought my mum one a couple of months ago - and she was a switcher from a bone abacus

(well a windoze box running '98)

DJY
6th July 2007, 09:47 PM
Heat issues? umm my wifes core2duo Macbook is probably alot cooler then her coreduo Macbook Pro. So that's saying something.

If it's a current generation Macbook, I think she will be more then fine.

Your wife has both a MacBook and a MacBook Pro???

purana
6th July 2007, 10:09 PM
Your wife has both a MacBook and a MacBook Pro???

Umm no, she sold her 2.0 Macbook Pro CoreDuo and got a MacBook (Black) Core2Duo. And lets just say the new one kills the old one in performance. Not to mention less heat :)

The new MacBook machines kick arse ;)

sanjay
6th July 2007, 10:49 PM
Umm no, she sold her 2.0 Macbook Pro CoreDuo and got a MacBook (Black) Core2Duo. And lets just say the new one kills the old one in performance. Not to mention less heat :)

i guess she doesnt do anything that requires graphics that arent shite then :)

as for macbook heat - ive got a first gen refurb (see sig) which were notorious for heat problems, and it seems to be fine. :)

gameon
6th July 2007, 11:10 PM
black core duo macbook on my lap here whilst watching the tennis
no heat problems to speak of

and she def has not made a wrong decision :D

DJY
7th July 2007, 12:00 AM

I'm currently facing this dilemma myself...
MacBook or MacBook Pro

But to avoid hijacking - I think the OP Mum will enjoy her new MB!
I've convinced a numerous mates to get one...
and several of them switched to do so!

I should be a Reseller!!

mac_man_luke
7th July 2007, 12:54 AM
i guess she doesnt do anything that requires graphics that arent shite then :)

as for macbook heat - ive got a first gen refurb (see sig) which were notorious for heat problems, and it seems to be fine. :)

The graphics arnt that bad - unless your heavily running aperture, using motion or planning on gaming there is no disadvantage.

I still use aperture perfectly fine - sure it could be better but its not bad at all

SyncMan
7th July 2007, 07:24 AM
I will take note of this for her...

first things to check for NEW MB (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=33442)

sputnik1
7th July 2007, 10:58 AM
No heat problems from up here in North Qld, where my wife uses her macbook outside of air-conditioning quite a fair bit.

We've never had problems with macs in the heat. Only heat problems I've encountered was when my work put 15 Athlon machines in the same room without airconditioning and ran them 24 hours a day when the average outside temp was over 30 degrees. Needless to say they were all dead within a couple of months.

Sorry to get OT....

I know about five or six people who have one of the latest rev macbooks - and none of them have had any problems.

A great decision I reckon. I predict no regrets.

DJY
7th July 2007, 03:07 PM
Well I went impulse shopping today... and bought the low end MBP instead of the MB.
I think it will best suit my immediate needs, and will allow me better upgrade options (RAM / HDD) in the future.
Couldn't justify an extra $700 to go for the 2.4GHz 15 MBP though.

SyncMan
7th July 2007, 05:07 PM
Well I went impulse shopping today... and bought the low end MBP instead of the MB.

Lucky you.