PDA

View Full Version : Checking credit on pre-paid phones (gripe!)

iva
6th July 2007, 04:11 PM
I don't know if this is the case with every carrier in Australia, but I have been with Optus and with Virgin over the past few years and neither recognises / allows the *100# function (to check your pre-paid credit balance without having to make a phone call). In Europe every cheap pre-paid SIM card I have every purchased on a variety of small and large networks allowed me to do this. What gives?

Ben™
6th July 2007, 04:43 PM
You're going to find there's different standards all over the world for this.

I know on Optus, you can send "Balance" to 9999 and it'll SMS you back your balance. The initial message and receiving is free.

iva
6th July 2007, 06:21 PM
Well, that's not as simple but at least its possible. Good to know.

It just seems like such a simple thing to implement...I take the point that obviously different systems and standards apply between countries but it seems to me like we are a lot behind utilising some of the available technology around mobile phones.

Some of my friends are paying for parking via SMS, and I'm not talking about France or Germany but former Eastern Europe here!

Brains
6th July 2007, 06:42 PM
I'm with Optus prepaid, it doesn't cost me anything to call 555 to check balance or do a top-up.

B.

sanjay
9th July 2007, 09:22 PM
with vodafone you can either use vodafone live! to find out your balance (browsing vodafone live sites on your mobile is free via GPRS or 3g), use the vodafone SIM menu to get your balance that way by pressing a few buttons or just calling 1512. not exactly difficult...

mac_man_luke
9th July 2007, 09:38 PM
3 is easy, just go to my 3 webpage

iva
9th July 2007, 10:34 PM
It can be done, obviously, but there is nothing faster than pressing *100# and hitting the call button which brings up the total on the screen. It takes less than a second. I can currently do the following:

"Call 225 from your Virgin Mobile and we'll automatically tell you your Pre-Paid balance"

"SMS the word 'BAL' from your Virgin Mobile to 225 and we'll SMS your Pre-Paid balance back to you."

Neither is free and both take much longer to do, (particularly the SMS option). That's all, not an earth-shuttering, life-ending problem of course, but a general annoyance when I know we could do better. Like needing a new mobile but not being able to get the iPhone...sure other options would be adequate, but they are not the one I want! ;)

William
9th July 2007, 10:47 PM
with vodafone you can either use vodafone live! to find out your balance (browsing vodafone live sites on your mobile is free via GPRS or 3g), use the vodafone SIM menu to get your balance that way by pressing a few buttons or just calling 1512. not exactly difficult...

Hey,

Not trying to high jack this thread, but on my Vodafone RAZR, how do i actually use GPRS to get Vodafone Live? Do I have to enable it somehow?

William

Exocet
9th July 2007, 11:06 PM
Hey,

Not trying to high jack this thread, but on my Vodafone RAZR, how do i actually use GPRS to get Vodafone Live? Do I have to enable it somehow?

William

You're hijacking the thread. Call vodafone, its likely that it will have to be enabled at their end and you will need to have the Vodafone settings sent to your handset.