PDA

View Full Version : Tiger, Active Directory & Mapped Drives

andyd
6th July 2007, 03:27 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new user to the Mac Forums but have been using Mac's for a while including support. I have a query though about connecting to a domain and using login items to connect to shared server directories... Confused already? I am.

I can get the domain added in through Directory Access, that isn't a problem. I can log into the domain OK from the login screen and it attaches my home drive (set through Active Directory) but I'm having trouble "mapping" (I know that's a Windows term, but I don't know what the alternative is on Mac) a network share.

I found that I can do it be connecting to the server through Finder then dragging it into the Login Items. This works a treat, however when I go into Login Items again, it's really really slow and eventually freezes or displays only half the information and I can't actually edit anything.... Has anyone seen this before?

I know it's a long one!

Thanks for your help guys & girls.

A

Rayd
6th July 2007, 04:49 PM
what exactly is mapping? is that creating a shared folder or something rather?

i have pretty much that exact setup you are describing so i hope i can be some sort of help :D

denwol
6th July 2007, 05:53 PM
mapped drives wont work through directory access because it does not actually pick up the windows profile or the GPO on the windows machine.

It only picks up information from the active directory itself, hence your home folder connects but the mapped drive does not.

denwol
6th July 2007, 05:54 PM
Another thing, in the mapped drive, are the files large, this could cause the freezing, and what type of network or you using, wireless or cabled. If it through a cable, make sure it is running at 100mb/s or higher (1000) rather than 10mbs because this could cause it to freeze as well.

andyd
6th July 2007, 06:24 PM
Hey guys!

Thanks for the quick response. Just to clarify Rayd... When I say mapped drives, I mean a shared directory/drive (in this case on a server) which is mounted in the drives list at login. Instead of having to go Finder > Go > Connect To Server everytime I log on, I want it to already be there. Make sense?

Thanks for your reply too denwol. I wasn't sure if Directory Access would could do it, but I did notice that it has a "mounts" section in there, although I don't know enough about DA to know what it might do.

Ideally I what I'm after is to log onto my Mac, on the domain, have access to my home folder and a few shared folders automatically mounted. Let me know if you need further clarification.

Thanks again for your help! :)

A

Oh and PS, I'm connecting via LAN 100mb/s. Thanks! :)