PDA

View Full Version : DeJa Vu Back up over Network Issues

mattmac
5th July 2007, 08:21 PM
Hi Guys,

Trying to back up over a network all my itunes music etc to my windows pc using DeJa Vu,

I have the network folders open upon log in but when the scheduled back up task starts in deja vu comes up with an error saying they aren't mounted etc.

I then need to go back into deja vu and just select the exact same folders again and the back ups will work until the mac is restarted :confused:

Any help with this? Or any other software recommendations that will somehow mount & do an incremental backup?

Thank you

Matt

bljpoad
5th July 2007, 11:27 PM
Have you got the "backup to remote server" option checked in DeJa Vu preferences?

What is the file system (NTFS or FAT32) that your windows machine is using? I have had issues with FAT32 drives as backup location, in the end it turned out to be illegal characters (things like / \ ?) in the filenames of the files I was trying to back up.

I am not currently on a computer with DeJa Vu on it, but I can have a look at the way we have it set up at the lab when I get in in the morning.
- Berwyck

mattmac
5th July 2007, 11:44 PM
Hi Berwyck

Yes I have that ticked.

The file system is NTFS. I don't have any funny characters or anything either so it confuses me. Its just strange that all I have to do (each time before the back up) is reselect the folders again in the network mounts.

If you can have a look that would be great - thanks for your help!

bljpoad
6th July 2007, 12:32 PM
We have ours set up to connect to a networked LanDrive brand hard drive. Under options>auto connect I have:

Server: smb://ip.address.of.landrive
Name: Berwyck
Password: Password
Volume: Berwyck

this seems to have no problem connecting automatically and doing the backup. Do you have "Automatically connect to server" ticked in the Auto-Connect pane too?

In the options>general pane for each type of backup I have all the options checked EXCEPT "Mirror Folder Contents"

Also, if you change your backup from say, daily to manually does the backup work then?

If none of this helps maybe post up the error message that you are getting from DeJa Vu, the one you get from clicking on the button under "most recent daily backup" back on the main preference pane.
- Berwyck

mattmac
6th July 2007, 02:52 PM
Haha your avator tripped me out i was touching my lcd to get the bug.

Ok I do not have auto-connect enabled at all because i do not know what i would enter in as server etc? It connects fine to the XP Computer as that usually shares folders fine without asking for usernames + passwords. The "HTPC" (home theatre PC) is running vista and usually does require a username + pw, but it mounts fine on my mac since i have it saved in my keychain thing or whatever it is!

So would this mean I need to also setup the server auto connect? What details do i need to find out for server address?

I tried a manual back up and got similar error:

PROBLEM: Deja Vu was unable to backup "/Users/Admin/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music".
REASON: One of the backup paths could not be found.
SOLUTION: Make sure all required disks are mounted at backup time. If a folder or disk name within one of the backup paths changes, Deja Vu won't be able to find it anymore. Open Deja Vu and reselect any items which are displaying a generic icon rather than a folder or disk icon.

Thanks for your help with all this :)

bljpoad
6th July 2007, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I would make sure the windows machine's IP address is entered in the auto-connect tab along with the username and password you use to log onto the machine. The volume will be whatever the name of the windows machine is in your sidebar when you connect to it through Finder (like "C" or something like that).

Try dismounting your network drive first, then click on the "connect" button in DeJa Vu's auto-connect panel. If it mounts ok, then try and run a manual backup. Good luck!
- Berwyck

PS Did you get the bug? :D

mattmac
6th July 2007, 07:00 PM
Ok this is going to be really confusing but I just tried everything as you suggested. I Pressed connect and it mounted the "HTPC MUSIC" folder and so i restarted the mac to see if it would do it again now when i press connect this comes up:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6437/autoconnectwg3.jpg

I've read through the DeJa Vu help files and I get lost with the keychain stuff, any idea? Sorry to be a pain :(