PDA

View Full Version : Europe iPhone carriers confirmed!

mechcon
5th July 2007, 10:05 AM
(Taken from http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article2028678.ece)

O2 for the UK, Orange for France, and T-Mobile for Germany. Looks interesting so far.

spargo
5th July 2007, 10:15 AM
That is very interesting indeed, considering that they had the opportunity to go with Vodafone across most of the European country markets and therefore have consistency.

O2's not bad, but I would never have picked them to get it.

I'd suggest the deal will be struck with Carphone Warehouse to carry it. They're the big high street retailer that Apple/O2 would want it selling through.

Arkhum_Eramak
5th July 2007, 10:31 AM
I've gotta say I'm also surprised that Vodafone didn't get the whole hog. Ah well - heres to hoping that our version of iPhone will be unlocked and will take any old SIM

tcn33
5th July 2007, 10:41 AM
hey, a provider without EDGE got the iPhone. Haven't we been told this would never ever happen in a million years?

:rolleyes:

Kuma
5th July 2007, 10:50 AM
Haven't we been told this would never ever happen in a million years?

:rolleyes:

who said that?

also worth noting that they say in time for christmas

Im assuming they will be 3G

they wont be unlocked in Aust.
the phone needs to be supported with visual voice mail...

and o2's website and coverage maps are terrible.

Shere Khaan
5th July 2007, 11:14 AM
Pretty much shows that Apple will go with whoever concedes the most. Given these choices, I am thinking Telstra won't get it and probably someone like Soul will pick up the rights.

gameon
5th July 2007, 11:35 AM
the more i think about it, the more it doesnt matter which telco gets it
i'll be getting one regardless

i'm hoping work will give me one :D

asphotos
5th July 2007, 11:36 AM
optus havent used apple for IT stuff for years,. (y2k saw a move to windows 2000)

we have a dodgy HP deal!

and the IT services are now outsourced to a company called NCS, (owned by singtel).

mechcon
5th July 2007, 11:44 AM
However, it could also be with Three, given that Huchisson own Orange in Europe.

My money is on Three.

lavo
5th July 2007, 12:41 PM
I'm not so sure on Three. They love putting their own software on the phones, and locking out features. Are they going to be willing to do this? Guaranteed Apple aren't going to let them put their own software on the iPhone.

My money is on Optus.

Kuma
5th July 2007, 12:45 PM
we should start a book.. and take bets...

W9cae
5th July 2007, 01:12 PM
I keep looking at all the deals Apple has recently done. They seem to be mixing the pot so they are not slammed like Microsoft. As they could have used Vodaphone for a most of the world. Buy having diff carriers in each market none of them can complane to the EU.

Just my 20 cents worth of there plans.

Cheers Scott

asphotos
5th July 2007, 01:17 PM
guys, any of you who own an iphone, I need the TAC code..

*#06# will give you the Imei, the first 6 digits is the tac.

tac is the handset manufacturer code. it should be the same for ALL iphones.

im curious if any are on the network, the tac code will let us see this :)

iSlayer
5th July 2007, 01:34 PM
I think this is a good sign. Seems like they are not necessarily looking to go with the biggest providers which is good for those of us who dont want to see telstra get it

macpunc
5th July 2007, 01:50 PM
<2)

I reckon that Telstra will backflip on this one and jump into bed with Apple on the iPhone, following its massive success in the states.

</2>

macpunc

mab
5th July 2007, 01:53 PM
Please not three we don't have it up here.

spargo
5th July 2007, 01:54 PM
think about the progressive rollout as it heads towards oz - if Singtel get it in Asia, then it's gonna be optus here for sure.. it mighten mean much but if they've dissed Voda in the UK/Europe, then they might have started a trend..

my vote is for yes - Optus.

Any guesses who it could be coupled with in Japan Kuma?? and if this might set any precedents?

vargz
5th July 2007, 02:19 PM
my vote is for yes - Optus.

Agreed - my first choice is to see the iPhone on Optus ... and made available around August next year, when my current contract ends :p

step_andy
5th July 2007, 02:46 PM
The deal announcing Vodafone, T-Mobile and Carphone Warehouse as European sales channels for the 3G iPhone has been held up, say German sources, by legal quibbles.

http://www.newswireless.net/index.cfm/article/3495

Does this mean that 3G version is coming sooner than later after all

MrJesseRoss
5th July 2007, 02:58 PM
http://www.newswireless.net/index.cfm/article/3495

Does this mean that 3G version is coming sooner than later after all

Not neccessarily. It's just a deal. The deal could be made many months before the phone's actually launched. Then again, who knows?

Rasta
5th July 2007, 03:58 PM
Hmm... this be interesting stuff...

I agree... let's start a book... with the reward being all the kudos in the land for getting it right.. :)

nicwithsticks
5th July 2007, 04:08 PM
It will be interesting if 02 does have the contract. Seems all conjecture at this point. Mostly from the Times, who seem to have no actual confirmation.

entropy
5th July 2007, 04:14 PM
Well The Times article definitely says no 3g.
But in Europe that would be suicidal, and anyway, I though O2 was 3g, with no edge at all.

Razer
5th July 2007, 04:29 PM
Hmm... this be interesting stuff...

I agree... let's start a book... with the reward being all the kudos in the land for getting it right.. :)

I'll begrudgingly put my money on Telstra. Biggest network, most dollars.

speedway boy
5th July 2007, 04:34 PM
I'll begrudgingly put my money on Telstra. Biggest network, most dollars.

mmm....I know what your saying...
But then I think Apple would get very precious about their partnerships. And the 'brand' of telstra does not even come close to Apple's. Telstra really has a shit name for itself. I dunno....

I would think something like vodaphone or 3 would better reflect their ethos. (young funky, innovative etc)

But maybe tech stuff would limit this to the big two...

Razer
5th July 2007, 04:38 PM
mmm....I know what your saying...
But then I think Apple would get very precious about their partnerships. And the 'brand' of telstra does not even come close to Apple's. Telstra really has a shit name for itself. I dunno....

I would think something like vodaphone or 3 would better reflect their ethos. (young funky, innovative etc)

But maybe tech stuff would limit this to the big two...

At the end of the day Apple are a public company. Apple can take care of their own image, they do not need their carrier to do that for them. AT&T are almost the Telstra of the US. It will come down to the best business deal for each company. Considering Three don't even have coverage in many places in Queensland and other states i'd be going for the most ubiquitous network. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The Fluffy Duck
5th July 2007, 04:59 PM
Orange = 3

Taking bets 3 will be the carrier here.

Kuma
5th July 2007, 05:11 PM
As for Japan
I wrote a rather lengthy essay on my thoughts

http://web.mac.com/shonankuma/iWeb/Straight%20From%20Sapporo/Blog/2E04A750-9C78-4A6C-9674-585F729C93ED.html
(it should be considered in beta... I have to tighten it up, restructure a few arguments and remove errors)

If you read it.. let me know what you think?

But in a nutshell
there are 3 options open for Apple
skip Japan
release a 3G handset as it is and get what few points of market share they can
manufacture a localised version and market the hell out of itnot 1 Japanese person I have spoken to knows about the iPhone.. (ooops I correct myself 2.. and Apple fanboy that I know and a friend who I have been manipulating into buying a macbook.. so she watches apple news carefully to see if what i say is true but all the rest are like Apple makes a phone?:confused:)

We have 3 carriers here
docomo are firmly in bed with napstar to provide music for its phones... direct competitor to apple, largest carrier, most expensive carrier, they also have (had?) a blackberry available... to miserable sales - chance of carrying iPhone 5%
au - their parent company just signed a deal with MS to provide some kind of software solution + their phones dont sync with macs (without buying 3rd party software - chance of carrying iPhone 10%
softbank - smallest carrier, worst signal around japan, but cheapest and fastest growing customer base. (were vodafone, and they have close relations with yahoo) only carrier to provide a 3G "connect card" compatible with OS X. Earlier this year (still?) they were giving away iPod Nanos with every phone purchase - chance of iPhone 85% (plus it was actually rumoured last year that they would be the first company in the world to debut the iPhone - which obviously did not eventuate - but the fact that it was rumoured alone shows that they are the front runners to carry the iPhone - if it comes.In Japan all phones are carrier specific.. you dont buy a phone and unlock it and change carrier.. want to change carrier.. buy a new phone.

Im waiting, holding my breath in anticipation of which carrier it will be.. (my choice would be au... but I will switch - to docomo happily, to softbank reluctantly - based purely on reception issues) waiting waiting waiting.. this year or next?

Kuma
5th July 2007, 09:04 PM
Just read the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/

this is NOT confirmed.
O2 have neither confirmed or denied.

it is currently lunchtime over in the UK... you would think there would be an official announcement if it were confirmed.

bel.plews
5th July 2007, 10:07 PM
guys, any of you who own an iphone, I need the TAC code..

*#06# will give you the Imei, the first 6 digits is the tac.

tac is the handset manufacturer code. it should be the same for ALL iphones.

im curious if any are on the network, the tac code will let us see this :)

done it already for 't'! nothing on the list ...
the IMEI isn't anywhere in the range for the PM's sent to me.

Kuma
5th July 2007, 10:46 PM
and now it is denied
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/stupid-europress/eurosnobs-to-get-iphone-one-day-sources-declare-275123.php

and the official denial is here (http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/o2-says-hasnt-signed-uk/story.aspx?guid=%7BA2F0C3D0-29D0-43CD-B819-6F85119C34BA%7D)

tcn33
6th July 2007, 09:22 AM
done it already for 't'! nothing on the list ...
the IMEI isn't anywhere in the range for the PM's sent to me.
Is anyone willing to share the TAC code via PM? Google found the TAC used on the test handsets Apple were handing out before launch, but nothing for the ones actually being sold.

bel.plews
6th July 2007, 12:47 PM
I heard a rumor Vodaphone is australia is the front runner?

edit: which could be complete and utter crap!

Exocet
6th July 2007, 12:54 PM
I still don't think TAC codes have much to do with it. I've had customers with strange, strange asian knock-off handsets which have never been marketed in Australia work perfectly fine. As long as the phone conforms to GSM standards it will work.

asphotos
6th July 2007, 01:15 PM
tac code's will show if the handset has been used on any of the australian networks..

if you have access to the correct systems ;)

apple will have been issues a tac code range (or the chipset vendor for apple).

the 0044 of the pre production is just that, a set of tac codes reserved for test devices..

we need the tac code from a real live north american handset.. just the first 6 digits, all of them should be the same, and it dosent give away any of your info..

**anyone know what gsm chipset its using BTW?

asphotos
6th July 2007, 01:26 PM
this databse is pretty good, but dosent cover everything, (its a number of months behind)

http://www.nobbi.com/tacquerydb.htm

have a play, type in your handset model and see if it matches (it will).

tcn33
6th July 2007, 01:29 PM
It's further behind than that - it doesn't have the SE K800 or W850 at all. Both of those are at least a year old.

asphotos
6th July 2007, 01:32 PM
i dont have a lot to do with se handsets, sorry..

internet
6th July 2007, 01:47 PM
Has 3 won it in australia?
http://www.cnet.com.au/mobilephones/pdaphones/0,239036203,339279581,00.htm?feed=rss

bel.plews
6th July 2007, 02:52 PM
Australian Trade laws won't allow the iPhone to be exclusive with one carrier anyway!

So anyone can buy an iPhone and switch networks, if they refuse
you can go to the ACCC and make a big song and dance!

*ha-ha* (in nelson's voice)

Shere Khaan
6th July 2007, 03:00 PM
Apple already set up itunes so the iphone activation process can choose which carrier you want. Only in the US the only option is AT&T. Who knows they may let multiple carriers use it on their networks provided they are willing to jump through the hurdles.

bel.plews
6th July 2007, 03:03 PM
Also to add ...

Each phone carrier has their own IMEI number range whitelist (postive file),
but they have to 'share' their blacklist (negative file) for stolen phones.

marc
6th July 2007, 03:14 PM
Australian Trade laws won't allow the iPhone to be exclusive with one carrier anyway!

Oh! I think you might be onto something there. I remember ages ago when the carriers were forcing people to get new numbers, then something changed and all of a sudden you could keep your phone number and switch.

Even if someone does a deal with Apple, I guess at the end of the contract they'll have a hard time keeping you.

:thumbup:

silverdreamer
6th July 2007, 03:37 PM
I heard a rumor Vodaphone is australia is the front runner?

edit: which could be complete and utter crap!

And probably is!:D

silverdreamer
6th July 2007, 03:41 PM

You think? There are at present quite a number of phones that are "Exclusive to a network" and unless the network concerned releases them you
can't switch them to another carrier.

Most of 3's phones are exclusively 3.

mattatkins
6th July 2007, 04:57 PM
I hope 3 doesnt get to go ahead to carry the iPhone. Unless you live or work in a capital city or places like Geelong and Newcastle they dont allow you to get a connection with them. Me living in country Victoria means I probably couldnt get an IPhone if 3 got the contract.

Dante Kyar
6th July 2007, 08:58 PM
Hope this doesnt happen to us...

The newspaper said the European iPhone will operate on slower 2.5 generation mobile networks, not the 3G infrastructure of companies such as Vodafone.

Article From The Age (http://www.theage.com.au/news/phones--pdas/apple-to-limit-european-iphone-launch/2007/07/05/1183351383460.html)

ethania05
6th July 2007, 09:04 PM

OMG I love this country! :D

macsyd
6th July 2007, 09:19 PM

I don't believe this to be the case. Nothing in Australian trade law would prevent this and network exclusive phones exist.

And if it were the case, I have no doubt Apple wouldn't bother with Australia.

As for number portability (I think marc mentioned that) it is a different scenario altogether to the above.

bel.plews
13th July 2007, 10:30 AM
I heard another rumour from 't' ...

't' won't accept the new iPhone unless it is 3G
mmmmmmmmmm

apparently this is the case for all new phone
manufacturers accepted on 't's network?

mechcon
13th July 2007, 10:39 AM
well well well! it's a clever request, logical too!

nbetts
13th July 2007, 10:57 AM
My iPhone is arriving next week.

I am hoping that an unlocking solution will arrive soon. I assume that a telstra sim is going to be the best option to get it running once its unlocked. I am with 3 at the moment and assume their 3G sim wont work at all.

silverdreamer
13th July 2007, 11:03 AM
My iPhone is arriving next week.

I am hoping that an unlocking solution will arrive soon. I assume that a telstra sim is going to be the best option to get it running once its unlocked. I am with 3 at the moment and assume their 3G sim wont work at all.

You seem to be assuming a lot!.... Hope your not too disappointed! :p

nbetts
13th July 2007, 11:15 AM
LOL so do i :)

I have been following the unlocking blogs and forums. They seem to have gone well down the track of cracking the phone.

yep its a total gamble, but who knows it may pay off.

silverdreamer
13th July 2007, 11:19 AM
LOL so do i :)

I have been following the unlocking blogs and forums. They seem to have gone well down the track of cracking the phone.

yep its a total gamble, but who knows it may pay off.

Or it may end up sitting in a drawer!:p

d_mini
13th July 2007, 11:19 AM
Orange = 3

Taking bets 3 will be the carrier here.

I hope so, from a branding point of view, I think Apple and 3 are much alike. If Apple go with Telstra, I'm not getting one.

silverdreamer
13th July 2007, 11:26 AM
I hope so, from a branding point of view, I think Apple and 3 are much alike. If Apple go with Telstra, I'm not getting one.

My bet is you won't be getting one then!:p

nbetts
13th July 2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the confidence Silverdreamer :-P

At this point you can activate the phone, but just not use it as a phone. It becomes a WiFi ipod and PDA. Expensive for a ipod/pda? yep maybe. But i bought the first ipod ont he market, close to $1000 at the time. I have a palm that sits in the drawer unused. The main places i use it will be home and work - wireless internet there.

So i suppose i am getting it for not just what it is but what it will become.

I would be very interested to know if there is anyone who has activated this on AT&T prepaid and tried to use it here?

mab
13th July 2007, 11:28 AM

I hope not, We don't get 3 up here :(

Kuma
13th July 2007, 11:41 AM
Or it may end up sitting in a drawer!:p

at the very least he should be able to activate it and use it as an iPod.....

I would be very interested to know if there is anyone who has activated this on AT&T prepaid and tried to use it here?

I heard via podcast that you could intl. roam with the iPhone for up to 2 months.. after that.. it bricks... unless you go State side and then return...
expensive phone

silverdreamer
13th July 2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the confidence Silverdreamer :-P

At this point you can activate the phone, but just not use it as a phone. It becomes a WiFi ipod and PDA. Expensive for a ipod/pda? yep maybe. But i bought the first ipod ont he market, close to $1000 at the time. I have a palm that sits in the drawer unused. The main places i use it will be home and work - wireless internet there.

So i suppose i am getting it for not just what it is but what it will become.

Just don't go setting up a tent outside the #3 shop in anticipation!

tcn33
13th July 2007, 12:03 PM
I heard via podcast that you could intl. roam with the iPhone for up to 2 months.. after that.. it bricks... unless you go State side and then return...
expensive phone
AT&T (and most other US carriers) assert the right to terminate your service if you spend the majority of your time roaming with another carrier. (See here (http://consumerist.com/consumer/cingular/cingular-roam-too-much-and-well-take-it-away--or-drop-you-completely-230038.php) for an example.) This is likely what's being referred to, rather than some hard-coded setting in the iPhone itself that bricks it the second you reach the 2-month mark.

nbetts
13th July 2007, 12:05 PM
Well i am hardly going to do that. Its a well known fact it will not be until 2008 before Australia may get the iPhone. Let call it back half of 2008 to be safe.

I have just spent $950 on my widescreen iPod/Pda. In coming weeks it "may" be able to replace my phone, it may not.

jellway
13th July 2007, 12:12 PM
I played with one yesterday....felt alot smaller then I thought it would....

It was 'activated' using this method... http://www.anderson-technologies.com/archives/5

gehenna
13th July 2007, 12:29 PM
vodafone probably didn't want to roll over and take it as hard as at&t dd

Kuma
13th July 2007, 12:50 PM
vodafone probably didn't want to roll over and take it as hard as at&t dd

yeah poor at&t they really copped a hiding agreeing to apple's terms...

nbetts
13th July 2007, 01:04 PM
Yes its hardly been worth the international free branding publicity alone..... :-P

Kuma
13th July 2007, 02:33 PM
its reported today that in Germany they are recieving 1000 calls a day about the iPhone.. (remember this is now afer we all know everything about the iPhone).

This baby is HOT!!

silverdreamer
13th July 2007, 03:03 PM
its reported today that in Germany they are recieving 1000 calls a day about the iPhone.. (remember this is now afer we all know everything about the iPhone).

This baby is HOT!!

Was talking to the manager at Next Byte on the Gold Coast this mrning, he says He is getting dozens of calls a day about the iphone!:rolleyes:

walexx
13th July 2007, 03:54 PM
I played with one yesterday....felt alot smaller then I thought it would....

It was 'activated' using this method... http://www.anderson-technologies.com/archives/5

Im getting my iphone Monday week. Im a bit scared to try and activate it, as Im more into the technology for the sake of technoloty, then being a tech head knowing how to crack the technology itself. I can sooo see me stuffing this up :( There seems to be a few diff methods around, ill give this one a go though as it looks easy enough.

Hopefully a method will come out soon to activate it and use it as a phone. Im with nbetts, probs a telstra sim is the go. Im a 3 customer and love them to death as they are so Apple like in their way of thinking, so I personally hope they get the gig, but somehow I just cant see it.

Either way, whether my iphone becomes an expensive 8gig ipod or a fully working phone, it will just be cool to try it out and enjoy it for what it is. When we finally do get it here, hopefully it will be 3g with GPS, more memory and a few other new tricks.

What method are u going to be using to activate yours nbetts ??.

Currawong
16th July 2007, 08:54 PM
Thread continued (with discussion about the Australian carrier) here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=33524).