PDA

View Full Version : Freehand MX - constantly quitting!

Bexford
5th July 2007, 03:24 AM
Hi all

I am working on some particular urgent designs for a client and Freehand MX has suddenly and started quitting in this one particular file.

it usually happens when I am making an alteration to some body copy...I have used this version of Freehand for over 2 years with no issue at all so is very frustrating!

I have re-keyed the text in a new file, changed fonts etc but it is still doing it.

does anyone have any ideas how to cure this....shall I reinstall freehand?? I have repaired disk permissions but am now at a loss as to where to go from here!

any help much appreciated.

cheers
Bex

SyncMan
5th July 2007, 07:07 AM
Check the crash logs.

If you need more help on that let us know.

jellway
5th July 2007, 09:18 AM
Bexford, have you started using any new drawing or text elements in the problem file?

Our studio was Freehand land for about 8 years and occassionaly we would have files that just crashed because some element in them would get corrupted and thats was the end....we could never work out how to fix so we got into the routine of having an 'old' folder in the project folder where the file was kept. Every morning (or mutiple times during the day if really critical) we would duplicate the file and keep a version with the date in the 'old' folder eg "Concept_040506am.fh11". Then if the file did corrupt we could revert to a not very old version.

The other thing that tends to screw with these files is fonts...perhaps a combination of the actual font file and the font management program you are using (Suitcase, Font book, Font explorer etc).

As a side note I am trying to ween myself of Freehand....it was such a beautiful versatile non-bloated program unlike Illustrator....but I'm coming around to Illustrator, especially with the CAD tools plugin.