PDA

View Full Version : Sudden MBP Fan noise from hell

mdmcholet
4th July 2007, 10:50 PM
Hi All

On Tuesday suddenly the fans on my MBP started sounding like an aircraft was taking off and its not getting any better. Restarted, did permissions etc. Only recent change was the superdrive firmware/itunes update I did on Sunday.

Any thoughts on what to check/do

Cheers

iSlayer
4th July 2007, 10:54 PM
Assuming you don't have a rogue process maxing out the cpu or something id say its the early signs of a fan failure. Pretty common on the early macbook pro's. Had 1 die myself.

STK
4th July 2007, 10:55 PM
Hmmm. What are the temps on every component of your computer? (iStat Pro tells you this)
What are the fan speeds (Yet again iStat will tell you this)

EDIT: Oh and how old is it?

mdmcholet
4th July 2007, 11:04 PM
Simo:

'll check the temps when i get home from work

It is a very first model Rev A

iSlayer:
Hope not fan failure, dont have Apple Care :(
Will check the processes etc but didnt notice anything last night

Sambo
4th July 2007, 11:08 PM
I had both my fans fail, are replaced and working fine now (touch wood).

STK
4th July 2007, 11:20 PM
No applecare? Somebody here will help you getting it fixed cheaper I would assume....

Rev A :O Thats, not good. When did you buy it?

mdmcholet
5th July 2007, 12:09 AM
No applecare? Somebody here will help you getting it fixed cheaper I would assume....

Rev A :O Thats, not good. When did you buy it?

I am in London (now) - it was an insurance replacement for a accidently dropped Powerbook (my husband managed to do that twice, once in OZ and once in the UK), we had it ordered just as they became available here (feb/march 06 ish - cant remember I had a baby around that time)

Yes I know should have applecare...but we were only on 1 income and money was tight and really couldn't afford the 300+ cost

mdmcholet
5th July 2007, 02:14 AM
Hmmm. What are the temps on every component of your computer? (iStat Pro tells you this)
What are the fan speeds (Yet again iStat will tell you this)

EDIT: Oh and how old is it?

CPU A 57
GPU 48
CPU Heatsink 54
Heatsink A 38
Heatsink B 37
Ambient 26
Enclosure Bott 31
Mem Control 50

No CPU hogs either

STK
5th July 2007, 10:18 AM
Fan speeds? (at the time of those temperatures)

mdmcholet
5th July 2007, 04:15 PM
Fan speeds? (at the time of those temperatures)

1000rpm both left and right

grorr76
5th July 2007, 04:23 PM
this happened to me about 10 days ago followed by a hard drive falure. Mine is in being servived at the moment, all I can suggest is this. do not play around or use the machine get it into a technican asap, as if i had I believe my hard drive wouldnt of failed. my fan sound was unbelievable i thought it was going to blow up. My hd and fan is being replaced. get it in asap, thats what apple techs are for.

STK
5th July 2007, 07:01 PM
1000 rpm!??! Isn't the minimum default 2000rpm?

mdmcholet
6th July 2007, 05:32 PM
It's back to normal now - very strange.

Edit: Although it is booked in to see a macbook doctor on Monday, better safe than a dead MBP

T-D-J
6th July 2007, 05:53 PM
1000 rpm!??! Isn't the minimum default 2000rpm?

I've got a Rev A macbook pro and its default speed is 1000rpm, it might be 2000rpm for the core 2 duo machines.

IIe2PB
11th September 2007, 10:39 PM
I have a core duo2 macbook pro and it does this too. It seems to get it in its mind that it's hot and the fans run hard. smc fan control says the temp is less than 50. Anyway I do a re-boot and the problem goes away for a couple of weeks. I have noticed that if I open up smc the problem is more likely to occurr.