PDA

View Full Version : Make my Mac a TV

gihund@mac.com
4th July 2007, 07:34 PM
Hey guys,

Am looking into getting my Mac to work as a TV too at home. I know, it's a small TV. Nonetheless, a TV.

I've got a MacBook - what sorts of peripherals do I need to get?? Apart from hooking up to the Apple TV gadget??

Lucy

iPirate
4th July 2007, 07:36 PM
EyeTV USB Digital and Analogue tuner?

I got an older EyeTV thingy and have since trashed my TV and VCR...

gihund@mac.com
4th July 2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks.

Where does one get such items? - JB Hi-Fi or sthg?

So I hook that into my Mac, and the other side to the wall-cable outlet and - voila??!

EyeTV USB Digital and Analogue tuner?

I got an older EyeTV thingy and have since trashed my TV and VCR...

MrJesseRoss
4th July 2007, 08:11 PM
That should work, yes. You can get EyeTV at most Apple resellers like Next Byte or Frequency.com.au

iPirate
4th July 2007, 08:13 PM
Check out http://www.elgato.com/, I only really see them offered at Apple stores, and they can be fairly pricy (but well recommended). I believe the latest version works with Front Row (If you have it).

marc
4th July 2007, 08:20 PM
Just make sure you use it with a roof top antenna and you'll be right :)

raj
4th July 2007, 08:40 PM
I've got a spare original EyeTV for DTT that works fine if you want one cheap. PM me if you'd like.

socrates
4th July 2007, 08:45 PM
Purchased an Eye TV Diversity last week. Indoors the included antennas struggle to get a good signal, even using both antennas in diversity mode. I can receive ch7 and SBS ok but 9 and 10 are weaker and 2 is non-existent. Connecting to an external antenna improves the signal but I still can't get ch2. Trying to use the two mini antennas in dual tuner mode indoors results in no signal for any channel.

I have no problems with the set top box for any channels for my TV (using the external antenna). I have just purchased an mcx/rf cable to see if it helps pull in a stronger signal when using the external antenna. I haven't tried it yet as I need to buy a splitter to connect it to the Eye TV. Disappointing that these items are not included given the price for the diversity unit.

Don't expect to be blown away with the experience if you buy one. It's a good backup and should be an easy way to get TV programs on to an Ipod, but it's no substitute for a good TV IMO.

Overall rating - 6/10.

timwallG5
4th July 2007, 08:52 PM
Buy a $165 EyeTV for DTT USB2.0 stick.

http://www.epowermac.com.au/product.asp?numPageStartPosition=1&strPageHistory=&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=&PT_ID=101&P_ID=479

It'll give you good quality TV if you can use a rooftop antenna (the included thing is a useless piece of crap) and have OK reception.

It lets you use the Front Row remote to hook into it's own Recordings & TV fullscreen menu and is quite neat. I'd say it's essential as part of a decent Mac & TV setup.

timwallG5
4th July 2007, 08:55 PM
Also, invest in a Mini-DVI to Video adapter:

http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/australiastore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E0B8&nplm=M9319G/A

Essential to hook up a MacBook to a CRT television, if it lacks VGA inputs.

From there, Front Row will work fine on the TV.

timwallG5
4th July 2007, 08:56 PM
All in all, it'll cost you under $250 - much better than wasting money on an Apple TV that can't play DVDs, can't record TV etc.