PDA

View Full Version : C2D MB Repaired... now broken differently.

sjobs
4th July 2007, 07:22 PM
UPDATE:

GOOD NEWS:
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?p=321104#post321104

MacBook Dies (again): http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showpost.php?p=320253&postcount=16
MacBook Service History (all from one repair period :eek:): http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showpost.php?p=320487&postcount=33

So here's the deal. My Macbook was playing up with kernel panics (airport induced) and screen flickering for a while, I figured I'd get around to fixing it eventually after uni semester ended.

However, all that changed when the freakin' thing decided to go and die. :( I brought it into MyMac in Melbourne on the 15th of June (yes, two and a bit weeks ago :(). Unfortunately the logicboard required was out of stock so I had to sit on my hands for a week while it was ordered (there were none in the country).

I gave apple a call and spoke to them about the situation and they managed to locate one and said it'd be delivered it to MyMac within 3 business days which I thought was excellent.

However... when calling back to check in on the repair, they informed me that the logicboard they were sent was DOA, so they'd have to wait for another one. Then, to add more annoyance, when the next logicboard was installed, it turned out the first one wasn't dead after all, but rather, that the airport card had somehow died and was causing it not to boot.

So with a new logicboard and airport card all in place, it booted. I was told to come and pick it up. However, being the cautious person I am, I asked "Can you check everything?" And upon doing so, the iSight was found to be faulty so it needed replacing as well, this took yet more time as the part needed to be ordered. In addition, I mentioned the flickering LCD screen due to the potentially dodgy inverter board and they said they'd add it to the iSight part order and install a new one for me.

When I finally got to pickup the laptop (04/07/07), I noticed the top case had been replaced, when I enquired as to why, I was informed that it was replaced due to the cable having been broken or something during repair, so it was replaced. I didn't really care, however, the case itself has a giant lip sticking up at the top right inner hinge edge where the hinge has clearly bent it up due to poor alignment. So that has to be replaced again this Friday as a replacement has been ordered and won't be here until then.

When I got it home, I noticed two things. One, there was no serial number written to the logicboard and two, the optical drive doesn't work (see video for summary (I missed some bits I spoke about here) and demo of crapness).

To summarise:
- Logicboard
- Airport
- Inverter Board
- iSight
- Top Cover

All replaced. It's madness. :/ Not happy jan.

Youtube link:
RzYA5hviCps

arkenstone
4th July 2007, 07:39 PM
How long have you had it?

ilostmypassword
4th July 2007, 07:40 PM
After 3 repairs.. don't you just get a new product?

sjobs
4th July 2007, 07:41 PM
How long have you had it?

edit: 3 and a bit months.

sjobs
4th July 2007, 07:42 PM
After 3 repairs.. don't you just get a new product?

Edit: Just had a look, can't find anything on it.

sjobs
4th July 2007, 08:30 PM
ARGH.

I was just seeing if the battery had lost any capacity due to being flat for so long when I noticed this. Adding more insult to injury. I'm so pissed about this whole saga.

My Mac sure does seem to be old. 24,440 Months old. :mad: :thumbdn:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4462/picture1cn0.png

FBTN
4th July 2007, 08:32 PM
1.There is no serial number displayed in System Profiler once your logicboard been replaced. This is normal.
2.PM me your serial number I see what I can do for you.

purana
4th July 2007, 08:42 PM
Its sounds like the tech who repaired it, is a newbie and utterly hopeless?????

arkenstone
4th July 2007, 08:44 PM
edit: 3 and a bit months.

And you haven't demanded a replacement?

Wow. You're patient! I would've demanded a replacement two repairs ago!

FBTN
4th July 2007, 08:55 PM
And you haven't demanded a replacement?

Wow. You're patient! I would've demanded a replacement two repairs ago!

1.Any product out of DOA periods (14 days or 10 working days), are not qualifed for DOA replacement.

2.Apple will only replace an unit if it can not be repaired or with major issue of HDD/LB/Display. Someone may lucky get replacement without meet above Apple service guidelines, But lucky not always happen to you.

phillipg
4th July 2007, 09:04 PM
From last month, logic boards should not have blank serial numbers. Qualified techs have access to tools to fix that up. They also have access to take-apart guides; something your technician may want to consult in the future!

Linux_insidev2
4th July 2007, 09:20 PM
From last month, logic boards should not have blank serial numbers. Qualified techs have access to tools to fix that up. They also have access to take-apart guides; something your technician may want to consult in the future!

This is incorrect, even the official apple service guides have noted that the serial will not show up anymore in the OS. i have not seen any official apple service guide that details updating the s/n stored on the mainboard.

Mctastic
4th July 2007, 09:40 PM
this whole saga sound really bad....

anyhow, the serial number can be 're-written' to the new board using a boot disc which Apple techs have access to. it's just been made available & anyone who doesn't know about it should check the disc images section(you should know where).....

with the above history, i don't see why this whole s@&Ew up can;t be escalated to Apple for a new mac replacement. really, i don't see why not. in total everything done here warrants this. :thumbdn:

arkenstone
4th July 2007, 10:53 PM
1.Any product out of DOA periods (14 days or 10 working days), are not qualifed for DOA replacement.

2.Apple will only replace an unit if it can not be repaired or with major issue of HDD/LB/Display. Someone may lucky get replacement without meet above Apple service guidelines, But lucky not always happen to you.

I suggest you check your consumer rights with your local office of fair trading. Specifically check out statutory + implied warranties. There's no magic 14 day number.

A $3000 purchase with four faults requiring repair in three months is not acceptable. I don't care what Apple (or any other Manf said), I'd be asking for a replacement. If one wasn't forthcoming I'd start making a WHOLE lot of noise about it in as many places as I could.

Reasonable retailers would at this point swap the product over and take the hassle on themselves - no reason for Apple not to do that themselves.

Who's the consumer here? They're the ones wanting /our/ money.

sjobs
5th July 2007, 01:17 AM
I had someone PM me with what Apple has down on their system in regards to my laptop serial number.

They only have down:

1. Your MacBook Logicboard was replaced due to [System-Wide Issues: Kernel Panic]
2. Airport issue when use with Cisco wireless platform.
This is complete crap. The logicboard was replaced because it was _dead_, the kernel panicing was in the past. moreover, the airport issues were also a moot point due to it being.... dead.

More to the point, it fails to list ANY of the other parts that were replaced under warranty. I was promised that this complete list would also be provided to me on friday by MyMac as the person who was looking after the repair wasn't present. Argh. This whole thing is a nightmare.

sjobs
5th July 2007, 03:12 AM
oh for fucks sake. the laptop just crapped its pants.:mad: Since I made the video in the original post, the laptop has stayed atop my desk doing sweet fuckall. And by sweet fuckall, I mean browsing digg/mactalk.

Just now, it made a click noise, then I get this god-awful burning smell and it switches off. Upon switching it back on, all I get is a solid white light from the sleep LED yet everything appears to be running (I can hear fan/hdd)..... I really do think I'm going to cry now. :cry:

Squozen
5th July 2007, 09:25 AM
Call Apple directly, I'd suggest.

trailblazer
5th July 2007, 09:30 AM
This is incorrect, even the official apple service guides have noted that the serial will not show up anymore in the OS. i have not seen any official apple service guide that details updating the s/n stored on the mainboard.

There is now a service cd that you can download & boot from that allows you to edit the serial number on a new logic board. You can only change it if the value is "SerialNum" or something of the like...haven't used it myself yet, but from what I hear it does the job.

DOA period for the machine has already been stated in this thread. Within the first 10 business days, and you can take the machine back and get a replacement.

You can cry and demand all you like, but you're not going to get a replacement unless it's under extreme circumstances. Trust me... it's things like:

1. the part is out of stock and you've been waiting for a long time (personally seen this happen 3 times now)
2. the machine has had a huge amount of repairs, including multiple repairs on the one part (3 ~ 4 generally gives you a better chance at getting a replacement)
3. you hit the right person in CR ;)

It also depends on how you can whinge to Apple, how you can't live without your computer, etc. They hear it all the time, however :)

stewiesno1
5th July 2007, 10:07 AM
As in other threads about warranties , keep all your receipts and communications , whether letters , emails etc including dates for the computer in /out for service and who you talked to and print these out . Then call up Apple and try to see someone in person , taking along all correspondence. Putting forward a cohesive and thorough argument is half the battle.
Stewie

Currawong
5th July 2007, 10:13 AM
It sounds like they first diagnosed the machine wrongly, then damaged the iSight while repairing it. What I'd be interested to know is where the machine was purchased?

Something I think worth following up for the future is an issue of who is responsible where a machine is faulty, yet an authorised repair agent fails to correctly repair the machine or possibly damages it further.

trailblazer
5th July 2007, 11:09 AM
Something I think worth following up for the future is an issue of who is responsible where a machine is faulty, yet an authorised repair agent fails to correctly repair the machine or possibly damages it further.

Sometimes when a part is fixed, it shows a fault in a different part... can't soley be placed on the repair agent, but it is worth looking in to.

sjobs
5th July 2007, 01:40 PM
Gave the Mac another try just now, same shit. Damn it stinks. Something really went pear shaped inside it.

dev_enter
5th July 2007, 01:44 PM
Don't.

Just call Apple and ask them to replace your machine entirely.

gizo
5th July 2007, 01:46 PM
Hi Marty. I hope yuo are feeling better.
I had similar problems with a different reseller in Melbourne. After the third 'repair' to my MBP, I spoke to Apple. But Apple didn't want to replace it, as it wasn't their fault - which is fair enough.
So I sent a well documented and thorough account of all the problems to the Resellers Technical Support Manager, demanding the store replace my MBP, as I had no confidence in their ability to fix it. They obliged.
I suggest you may want to think about that option. Be sure to be polite, firm demanding and have a good complete account of everything that happened.
Good luck.

ilostmypassword
5th July 2007, 01:47 PM
Don't.

Just call Apple and ask them to replace your machine entirely.

but please be nice and calm.. as no one helps an angry person :) (easy said - as yet I'd be loosing it by now!!)

dev_enter
5th July 2007, 01:51 PM
Agreed.

sjobs
5th July 2007, 02:00 PM
I'm on the phone to Apple at the moment. I have no reason to be angry at Apple, besides which, I'm always calm and professional.

Here's hoping. *crosses fingers*

gizo
5th July 2007, 02:02 PM
Good luck, dude. I found Apple staff to be great.

sjobs
5th July 2007, 02:38 PM
Apple wanted a complete service history due to their internal records not reflecting what I was informed was replaced. As MyMac don't seem to have a complete customer friendly one yet and due to some secrecy with internal parts/orders/notes/etc I put MyMac in touch with the senior service engineer I spoke with. They're swapping recipes at the moment.

Hopefully this gets somewhere. :/

gizo
5th July 2007, 02:58 PM
Have you got a record of everything that you've been told by MyMac? With dates, times and names?
Put all this into a letter, send it to the MyMac service manager, and CC yr Apple rep. State that it is not acceptable service, and demand a replacement. Not a repair, as they have already shown their inability to repair.

That is my suggestion. I hope you get a good result from this, as I know how much it sucks to be where you are. I can PM you the letter I sent, if you're interested. PM me...

sjobs
5th July 2007, 03:01 PM
Have you got a record of everything that you've been told by MyMac? With dates, times and names?
Put all this into a letter, send it to the MyMac service manager, and CC yr Apple rep. State that it is not acceptable service, and demand a replacement. Not a repair, as they have already shown their inability to repair.

That is my suggestion. I hope you get a good result from this, as I know how much it sucks to be where you are. I can PM you the letter I sent, if you're interested. PM me...

PM Sent. Also, No, not a precise record, just the important bits such as what was being replaced.

sjobs
5th July 2007, 03:36 PM
Well, MyMac is busy compiling their report for Apple, so in the meanwhile I'm going to give the laptop back to them seeing as it's dead. Not much I can do with a $2400 paperweight.

sjobs
5th July 2007, 06:20 PM
Well, some news. I took the laptop back into MyMac with the laptop being dead and the superdrive being boned. In addition, the top case still needed to be replaced and the serial number entered into the notebook. So there it resides pending repair... again. :mad:

Nathan who is from Apple Service whom I spoke to earlier is looking into the matter for me. I'm not holding my breath.

I had a service summary created for me by Matt from MyMac which I've linked below (yes, I edited out some bits):

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/9057/servicereportir1.th.jpg (http://img357.imageshack.us/my.php?image=servicereportir1.jpg)

arkenstone
5th July 2007, 06:39 PM
So there it resides pending repair... again. :mad:

If this isn't good enough for you, why put up with it? Demand a replacement.

I for one am already discouraged from shopping with this mob for not offering you a replacement already.

Pretty average customer service, imho.

Edit: What's the 1.2 gig file here: http://www.mymac.com.au/ ?

sjobs
5th July 2007, 06:47 PM
If this isn't good enough for you, why put up with it? Demand a replacement.

I for one am already discouraged from shopping with this mob for not offering you a replacement already.

Pretty average customer service, imho.

Edit: What's the 1.2 gig file here: http://www.mymac.com.au/ ?

I can demand and bitch and scream all I like, ultimately it's up to them. I don't think it's going to help with anything. The proceedings have only just begun with Apple investigating my issues. I doubt anyone is going to do anything to help me out though. The initial response from Apple (Senior Apple Engineer Nathan) was for MyMac to proceed with the repairs.

MyMac aren't going to want to give me a new computer, because, realistically they're out a computer then. Apple will be the same. Profit profit profit. It's all companies care about. Once they have your money, they just want you out the door.

Their website is http://www.mymacaustralia.com.au/ - I've no idea what the other one is.

milmil
5th July 2007, 06:50 PM
I really really feel for you... recently, I had my Powerbook replaced because, after the battery exchange, my Powerbook actually MELTED. Service from MyMac had and has been absolutely terrible. Furthermore, one of their staff (or possibly more) has breached customer confidentiality (dare I even insinuate they used information on my Powerbook while it was with them?). Would anyone here have the actual name and contact of the owner of MyMac in Melbourne? I need this ridiculous thing to end now.

sjobs
5th July 2007, 06:56 PM
I really really feel for you... recently, I had my Powerbook replaced because, after the battery exchange, my Powerbook actually MELTED. Service from MyMac had and has been absolutely terrible. Furthermore, one of their staff (or possibly more) has breached customer confidentiality (dare I even insinuate they used information on my Powerbook while it was with them?). Would anyone here have the actual name and contact of the owner of MyMac in Melbourne? I need this ridiculous thing to end now.

Oh my. :eek:

milmil
5th July 2007, 06:59 PM
This is just getting ridiculous!! I haven't had such bad service in my life! and i can't believe the audacity of the staff there! Anyway, iMarty, that's what the MyMac staff said to me too - that they doubt i'll get a replacement computer. But I did anyway. So from a Powerbook, I'm now using a new black Macbook. Actual Apple staff in Sydney are much much nicer and way more helpful.

sjobs
5th July 2007, 07:03 PM
Actual Apple staff in Sydney are much much nicer and way more helpful.

Here's hoping. Fingers crossed.

arkenstone
5th July 2007, 10:31 PM
I can demand and bitch and scream all I like, ultimately it's up to them.

urgh. imagine if all consumers were like you.

Macbooks would be $999,999,999,999 each and no-one in the country would own a car.

Don't like the service? Complain. learn your rights. Write a written complaint. You've had the thing THREE MONTHS and you don't expect a replacement?

I'm floored by your apathy. Seriously. Praps you deserve to go through all this bullshit if you really are at the whim, beck and call of your retailer.

Forgive me if I seem harsh, but you're really fucking /yourself/ over, noone else.

I'm bowing out of this thread here. I'm just too shocked to bother continuing. Praps the world is flat where you are, too.

sjobs
5th July 2007, 11:00 PM

Macbooks would be $999,999,999,999 each and no-one in the country would own a car.

Don't like the service? Complain. learn your rights. Write a written complaint. You've had the thing THREE MONTHS and you don't expect a replacement?

I'm floored by your apathy. Seriously. Praps you deserve to go through all this bullshit if you really are at the whim, beck and call of your retailer.

Forgive me if I seem harsh, but you're really fucking /yourself/ over, noone else.

I'm bowing out of this thread here. I'm just too shocked to bother continuing. Praps the world is flat where you are, too.

Fair go! Jesus. Apple has only just late this afternoon ascertained all the relevant information from the repair center and is investigating (and escalating) the issue. I have actively complained by calling them, which is why they wanted to know the deal.

I plan on calling them tomorrow to follow-up the issue and seek an outcome. My point wasn't that I'm going to sit on my hands and do nothing with my ass all buttered up ready for apple/reseller penetration, but rather, than I'm not going to scream down the phone at someone at apple, or hurl abuse at the service centre, as is the case with some hot-headed customers.

Special Agent
5th July 2007, 11:10 PM
Hey marty

I think you have handled the situation very well, without resorting to yelling & screaming.

I work in retail and getting abused by angry customers really doesn't make me want to go out of my way to help them.

Hopefully apple will come to the party and replace your buggered machine.

sjobs
5th July 2007, 11:24 PM
Hey marty

I think you have handled the situation very well, without resorting to yelling & screaming.

I work in retail and getting abused by angry customers really doesn't make me want to go out of my way to help them.

Hopefully apple will come to the party and replace your buggered machine.

Thanks for the support. I hope they come through with a replacement too. Seems easier at this stage.

Just consider this, I've been without the laptop since the 15th of June. It's now the 5th of July and it's still pending repairs. That's nearly a month...:eek:

gizo
6th July 2007, 08:03 AM
Really, there is a difference between an unreasonable and abusing customer, and a customer who has been arsed over for 1 month and is demanding a replacement.
Be polite but firm. They screwed it, they fix it.
All IMHO, of course...

trailblazer
6th July 2007, 08:43 AM
This is just getting ridiculous!! I haven't had such bad service in my life! and i can't believe the audacity of the staff there! Anyway, iMarty, that's what the MyMac staff said to me too - that they doubt i'll get a replacement computer. But I did anyway. So from a Powerbook, I'm now using a new black Macbook. Actual Apple staff in Sydney are much much nicer and way more helpful.

Mate you should have got a Macbook Pro...
Customers always get like-for-like, sometimes it's possible to get upgrades, with a slight cash adjustment. I've seen people go from having a broken iBook, to being offered a Macbook, but then upgrading it to Macbook Pro with adjustment.

trailblazer
6th July 2007, 08:46 AM

Mate he is doing the right thing. I've been there and done that at least 30~40 times (replacement machines). Your method that you are stating only makes people not want to work for you to get a replacement... the nicer customers always get dealt with a little better! Just human nature - if I have someone bitching and being a little whiney kid to me about their machine, I certainly don't like dealing with them...

Kudos iMarty, hang in there you'll get a replacement if you have enough repairs.
Just quietly, that letter is a pretty average letter - all they've done is list the parts. Should have part numbers, order codes, dates and times, etc. Much better if you can organise a case, with everything ordered chronologically .

arkenstone
6th July 2007, 09:56 AM
Mate he is doing the right thing. I've been there and done that at least 30~40 times (replacement machines). Your method that you are stating only makes people not want to work for you to get a replacement... the nicer customers always get dealt with a little better! Just human nature - if I have someone bitching and being a little whiney kid to me about their machine, I certainly don't like dealing with them...

I'm not saying don't be nice or friendly.

I'm not saying he needs to abuse anyone,

I'm just saying that I'd start expressing my dissatification with their service so far and ask for a replacement.

If they declined I'd outline my reasons why and demand a replacement

If they declined, I'd speak to the office of fair tradng in my state and make a whole lot of noise.

I've been through this many times before. I'm the guy that calls up the store when I get home if I get good service.
I'm also the guy that will protest outside your shop with a large sign if you decline me a refund for faulty goods because the system "can't process refunds on a Sunday".

I've never screamed or abused anyone at the first or the fifth fault. It's the handling of the faults that I expect to be done in a certain way. I've studied consumer law and worked in customer service one way or another for 15 years.
Giving the customer a replacement a service or two ago in this case would have:

Taken ownership of the problem - the store would now worry about the refirb/warranty/whatever and leave the customer to enjoy their goods.
Impressed the customer - the customer gets a new product and an apology for the dodgy goods.
Resulted in a positive impression of the brand - a problem occured (shit happens) but it was replaced without hassle or incident.
Resulted in a positive impression of the retailer - they were willing to take ownership and go the extra step
The customer wouldn't have posted here and caused a bunch of people, myself included, to avoid 'MyMac' in the future.

Now, what's not worth it about all of that? What's the retailer got to lose by NOT offering a replacement?

Keep in mind I haven't even touched on the customer's legal rights to a replacement in this post - this is all purely from a customer service/good will perspective.

milmil
6th July 2007, 11:38 AM
Mate you should have got a Macbook Pro...
Customers always get like-for-like, sometimes it's possible to get upgrades, with a slight cash adjustment. I've seen people go from having a broken iBook, to being offered a Macbook, but then upgrading it to Macbook Pro with adjustment.

...which was saga number 2. When i had eventually called Apple Sydney, i said to them that while i appreciate the fact that they had finally decided to offer me a replacement, the Macbook Pro is today's equivalent of the Powerbook (why else would the Macbook Pro and Powerbook Applecare be one and the same?). And i stated my case all the way, dragging the issue for 3-4 weeks over the precise replacement of my Powerbook. I went from one department to another, from junior officers to senior officers and then to requesting to speak with the Head of Customer Relations. Their justification is that the replacement is decided upon specs. And because the Macbook itself has greater capacity than my Powerbook, the white Macbook with the superdrive was offered to me as replacement. At this point, i said that any damn computer produced NOW would have greater capacity than my 3 year old Powerbook. The point is, i said to them, i bought a high end computer and i expect the same in return!

But anyway, after much shoving around and much unreturned phone calls and whatnots, I eventually settled because i honestly cannot afford to waste any more time - what i do requires me to have a laptop, without which I am absolutely screwed in delaying my work.

(p.s.: I had to pay an 'upgrade' fee to get this black macbook...)

FBTN
6th July 2007, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=arkenstone;320720]I'm not saying don't be nice or friendly.

I've studied consumer law and worked in customer service one way or another for 15 years.

Sooo funny...

sjobs
7th July 2007, 01:35 AM
ATTENTION! GOOD NEWS!

After concluding their investigations, Apple has decided to replace my machine. There's a clerical error which has occurred in the process of replacing it (it says they'll be giving me an iMac in replacement in spite of repeated verbal agreement that it will be another MacBook) which I've noticed today that will need to be rectified on Monday (it's part of the agreement that this is settling the issue and I'm happy with the resolution etc), but besides that, looks like I've been well looked after. :) :thumbup:

sjobs
17th July 2007, 11:23 AM
FOFeQdFjBYE

The replacement is crap. :(

arkenstone
17th July 2007, 11:26 AM
The replacement is crap. :(

Dare I even suggest you return it?

*ducks*

purana
17th July 2007, 12:08 PM
Ouch, time for a keyboard replacement.

kingkangkong
17th July 2007, 06:14 PM
after watching the video, i really feel for you man...