PDA

View Full Version : Byrn DVD

gihund@mac.com
4th July 2007, 03:14 PM
Hi guys,

Got myself some DVD-R and inserted one into the DVD drive/burner on my MacBook. It came up with a Disk Utility window and the disc is obviously not recognized as an "entity" on the HD at all. Except there's nothing I can do, because all the option buttons are not click-able.

The infos section tells me that my DVD-R is unformatted, read-only.

Any tips as to what I can do to circumvent this deadlock? How can I go about "formatting" these DVD-R in order to write something on them?

I've tried about 4 discs, 2 different brands, all empty. Still the same.

thoughts welcomed.

Lucy

purana
4th July 2007, 03:19 PM
DVD-R with data on it, or DVD-R blank out of the packet with the attempt to put something on it. If the later, you need to burn your files on it using a util like SimplyBurns (as found on macupdate.com).

ClockWork
4th July 2007, 03:19 PM
I'm not even 50% sure of this, but it may be possible that your MacBook will only write to DVD+R.

Not certain of this at all. Complete pocket of void and uncertainty.

gihund@mac.com
4th July 2007, 03:22 PM
DVD-R with data on it, or DVD-R blank out of the packet with the attempt to put something on it. If the later, you need to burn your files on it using a util like SimplyBurns (as found on macupdate.com).

Thanks for the idea. So why was it that when I put in a CD-R yesterday, the computer was able to recognize the disc on mac HD but not the DVD?

Disko
4th July 2007, 03:26 PM
I'm not even 50% sure of this, but it may be possible that your MacBook will only write to DVD+R.

Not certain of this at all. Complete pocket of void and uncertainty.

Why post advice you're not certain of?

Tech specs (http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html) of Apple Macbook superdrives: 8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

It supports both +R and -R, so fret not Lucy. Try those discs in another computer. IF they work, then try buying a few 'test' discs of a few differing brands. (I personally use TY's and they work a treat) If all else fails, take your computer into a service center, because it isn't working as advertised.

ClockWork
4th July 2007, 03:29 PM
If everyone had to be 110% certain of anything they ever posted, this forum would be empty.

Brains
4th July 2007, 03:39 PM
gihund: It sounds like your MacBook came with a combo drive (DVD read-only, CD read/write) and not a SuperDrive (DVD and CD read/write). Check your System Profiler or specifications sticker to make sure.

B.

bartron
4th July 2007, 03:40 PM
If everyone had to be 110% certain of anything they ever posted, this forum would be empty.

I'm 100% certain that I don't always know.

Anyway...Lucy. When you plonk on the DVD it should pop up a dialogue that asks what you want to open with. You should have the option to at least open in Disk Utility, Finder or do nothing at all. Or does it take you straight to Disk Utility without prompting?

edit:

gihund: It sounds like your MacBook came with a combo drive (DVD read-only, CD read/write) and not a SuperDrive (DVD and CD read/write). Check your System Profiler or specifications sticker to make sure.

B.

doh....didn't think of that

Bartron

gihund@mac.com
4th July 2007, 03:55 PM
Yes, I think I got a combo drive.

It's the Black Macbook. No wonder.
I just downloaded the SimplyBurns - seem to have hung?

No luck?

I'm 100% certain that I don't always know.

Anyway...Lucy. When you plonk on the DVD it should pop up a dialogue that asks what you want to open with. You should have the option to at least open in Disk Utility, Finder or do nothing at all. Or does it take you straight to Disk Utility without prompting?

edit:

doh....didn't think of that

Bartron

ClockWork
4th July 2007, 04:34 PM
Well - I'm 100% certain that you can check by doing the following:

1. Click once on the blue Apple Menu at the top-left of your screen and scroll down to the first item on the menu: About This Mac.

2. An About This Mac window will appear. Click once on the lower: More Info... button. This will open the System Profiler.

3. In the System Profiler, on the left-hand column, click once on: Disc Burning - to highlight it.

4. On the right side, it will show you what it can do. If it says: DVD-Write under CD-Write, and then across a little - something like: -R, -RW

- it means it can burn to DVD-R.

If it shows you nothing of the sort, it won't matter what kind of DVD Burning software you have, it won't be able to burn to DVD - only to CD-R or to CD-RW.

This would mean you could just as well continue to burn something in the Disk Utility window, as you began to... yet only to a CD.

Rayd
4th July 2007, 04:44 PM
im 5000% certain that optimus prime will kick that macbooks arse , even if it got zapped by the cube :)

slashingthefox
4th July 2007, 04:49 PM
im 5000% certain that optimus prime will kick that macbooks arse , even if it got zapped by the cube :)

When I get around to buying myself a new MacBook, I'm going to name it Optimus Prime. Because he kicks ass everywhere and anywhere!

gihund@mac.com
4th July 2007, 06:42 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure how to go about checking out my DVD drive specs on my notebook itself - any directions?

I got the black macbook, which I believe, in Australia, has only 1 spec and I just checked it out online - it's suppose to have the Superdrive - hence able to write the DVDs.

Good tip with the different brands - though I have a sinking feeling it ain't going to do it. Because I tried the HP disk and the Verbatim disks. The disk utility page came up, but "empty" if you know what I mean on the diagnostic page - so there's not buttons I can press at all... Tried the Disk burner download as suggested - the laptop just hung. Bit odd!!!

Why post advice you're not certain of?

Tech specs (http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html) of Apple Macbook superdrives: 8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

It supports both +R and -R, so fret not Lucy. Try those discs in another computer. IF they work, then try buying a few 'test' discs of a few differing brands. (I personally use TY's and they work a treat) If all else fails, take your computer into a service center, because it isn't working as advertised.

Mac Ram
4th July 2007, 07:01 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure how to go about checking out my DVD drive specs on my notebook itself - any directions?

You may have missed the post, have you done what CW suggested up above? (post #10)

gihund@mac.com
4th July 2007, 07:18 PM
Well for somebody who's uncertain of many things - you've hit this one right on the head!

The Mac can definitely write DVD and CD. The weird thing is then I guess, why did it not recognize the disc.

Is SimplyBurns suppose to override this problem you reckon?

Lucy

Well - I'm 100% certain that you can check by doing the following:

1. Click once on the blue Apple Menu at the top-left of your screen and scroll down to the first item on the menu: About This Mac.

2. An About This Mac window will appear. Click once on the lower: More Info... button. This will open the System Profiler.

3. In the System Profiler, on the left-hand column, click once on: Disc Burning - to highlight it.

4. On the right side, it will show you what it can do. If it says: DVD-Write under CD-Write, and then across a little - something like: -R, -RW

- it means it can burn to DVD-R.

If it shows you nothing of the sort, it won't matter what kind of DVD Burning software you have, it won't be able to burn to DVD - only to CD-R or to CD-RW.

This would mean you could just as well continue to burn something in the Disk Utility window, as you began to... yet only to a CD.

ClockWork
4th July 2007, 10:02 PM
No way dude.

If the machine was a Combo Drive, no software could make it into a SuperDrive. If it can only write to CDs and Play DVDs - no software can make it write DVDs - no software can change it's hardware.

What does your's actually say... word for word?

cw