PDA

View Full Version : How do I find the IP address of my printer?

andrewhollo
4th July 2007, 02:39 PM
I need to re-install firmware for my HP Laserjet 4650 and it requires me to know the IP address of my printer. I'm running OS X.4.10 and the printer is connected with a network cable to a wireless router which then serves 3 Macs. I know some smart person out there will know how to do this! Cheers, Andrew

iTalk
4th July 2007, 02:46 PM
The router's webpage should have information about the devices connected to it.

Kildare
4th July 2007, 02:47 PM
Print a config page from the printer or check the DHCP leases on your router as suggested. :)

The Architect.mac
4th July 2007, 02:48 PM
more than likely you can just look at the bonjour printers list and hit the printer's web interface page but it will probably be the first one in the DCHP pool, ie.. 192.168.2.2 or 10.1.1.2 or 10.0.0.2

andrewhollo
4th July 2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks guys. I've got the following dilemmas:
1. I can't find any list of printers anywhere on my router webpage(s), including the section on DHCP leases
2. I don't know what Bonjour is and when I use spotlight to find it, I get nothing at all
3. The reason I need to re-install my printer's firmware is that the printer won't operate at all (except to display an error message) and therefore, I can't access its webpage or any information from its own control panel.

If you can help me a bit further, I'd be grateful!

Andrew

The Architect.mac
4th July 2007, 03:42 PM
safari preferences - bookmarks - include bonjour... you may need to hard reset the printer...

isoprophlex
5th July 2007, 11:06 AM
with hp printers do the following.

1. turn off the printer. unplug all the cables and leave off for 30 seconds.
2. turn on the printer while holding down the "online" or "cancel button" for a few seconds.
3. this will then print out a configuration page that has all the settings that you need.
4. if this fails to work, then you might have a faulty mainboard on the printer?

Thanks guys. I've got the following dilemmas:
1. I can't find any list of printers anywhere on my router webpage(s), including the section on DHCP leases
2. I don't know what Bonjour is and when I use spotlight to find it, I get nothing at all
3. The reason I need to re-install my printer's firmware is that the printer won't operate at all (except to display an error message) and therefore, I can't access its webpage or any information from its own control panel.

If you can help me a bit further, I'd be grateful!

Andrew