PDA

View Full Version : Enabling ownership on FW-drive not possible

Clast
4th July 2007, 09:58 AM
When trying to enable ownership on an external firewire-drive (formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) I get the following message:

The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items

Could it have something to do with how I've set the permissions? I've tried some combinations and have even ended up making the drive icon disappear from the desktop and being forced to use vsdbutil -d via the terminal to get it back.

What access did you set for:
Owner, Group & Others in the Get Info box for you external drives before disabling "Ignore ownership..."?

Any help appreciated...

stewiesno1
4th July 2007, 10:33 AM
Do you have admin priveleges ? Or create another user account and tick " User can administer this computer " Either way you should be able to access it. Why are you restricting access ? If you are the only one using this computer then one user account with all permissions set to that user should be all you need. No need to make it more complex than it needs to be.
Stewie

Clast
4th July 2007, 03:55 PM
Do you have admin priveleges ? Or create another user account and tick " User can administer this computer " Either way you should be able to access it. Why are you restricting access ? If you are the only one using this computer then one user account with all permissions set to that user should be all you need. No need to make it more complex than it needs to be.
StewieI do have admin priveleges. That's why it's so weird it's giving me the "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items" message. If I set all my permissions to my user, what happens if I take this drive to another mac that does not have a user with my username (and UID I suppose)? I want to be able to do that.