PDA

View Full Version : Spreadsheet to Address Book

pipsqeek
17th March 2004, 10:38 AM
As the topic suggests?

Is there a way to get contact details from an spreadsheet document to be exported to the Address Book?

Can the spreadsheet be saved as a format that Address Book can read?

I have many contact details that need updating from time to time.

Steve

Currawong
17th March 2004, 08:49 PM
I'm sure it's possible, as you can export to a tab-delimited document from excel, which might be importable either by Addressbook, or by something that Addressbook can import from.

pipsqeek
18th March 2004, 06:57 AM
I saved as the spread sheet in DIF format (the name escapes me), as I thought that Address Book can read LDIF files.

Well, DIF doesn't work, so I tried alittle trick, changed the extension to LDIF (eg; sprdsheet.dif >>sprdsheet.ldif) Address book was able to pick it up, but could not import it.

I was thinking, it would be good if Address Book was flexible like that, maybe Apple can make it so Address Book can support a few different file formats that would normally contain some form of details such as contacts etc...

Steve

vid
1st December 2005, 01:09 PM
Did you ever get an answer to this question, I want to do the same thing?

Thanks

marc
1st December 2005, 01:50 PM
Some smart find>changes in text edit could do the trick if you knew what you were doing and exported the data the right way. The vCard format is pretty simple to understand.

Having said that, how big is the contact list you guys want to import? Might be quicker to copy+paste.

richbowen
1st December 2005, 10:50 PM
Address book has a file > import > text file option.

Have you tried this? Just save your excel file as a text file (tab delimited) then point AB at that file.