PDA

View Full Version : The iPhone is selling out

Kuma
2nd July 2007, 11:41 AM
if you go http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/
you can view the various states apple stores and see if they have them in stock.

california is all but sold out.
some states still seem to have plenty (NJ, NY)

you will have to set your system clock to after 9pm for it to work.

but with the weekend over.. I think apple have sold 10s of 1000s of the things...

not a bad launch!!

mvjs
2nd July 2007, 11:58 AM
I think the consensus is that Apple sold 200,000 - 300,000 iPhones on opening weekend. Quite a good result I'd say.

iSlayer
2nd July 2007, 12:04 PM
a brilliant result. I'd be surprised if anyone else has ever got near that with there first phone

ilostmypassword
2nd July 2007, 12:15 PM
a brilliant result. I'd be surprised if anyone else has ever got near that with there first phone

thing is.... why not make it brown? ;)

aha ha

Kuma
2nd July 2007, 12:49 PM

with their first, second, third...

I doubt any phone maker has ever had that result with any phone ever... over time yes... over 48 hours.. Im doubtful....

Nokia, Ericisson, Motorola, RIM and Palm must be all shitting bricks.. thinking what can they do to stop this monster from consuming all...

maclover
2nd July 2007, 02:58 PM
Wonder how long till one of those big companies puts a real browser in...not long at all.

SyncMan
2nd July 2007, 03:12 PM
It's the Halo effect all over again!

mvjs
2nd July 2007, 07:04 PM
GadgetTastic is reporting (http://www.gadgettastic.com/2007/07/01/500000-iphones-sold-this-weekend/) that first weekend iPhone sales could be as high as half a million!

mjankor
2nd July 2007, 07:41 PM
Bloody hell. Apple's latest quarter is going to be ridiculous. That's somewhere near $250million in a weekend

Kuma
2nd July 2007, 08:00 PM
Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aKtbJPOEkO.U&refer=home) says 200k on day 1 (Saturday)
if thats right.. and you take into count Friday night and Sunday then Gadgetastic could be on the ball.

decryption
2nd July 2007, 08:02 PM
Do we reckon it will maintain the sales pace (ala iPod), or is it just all the Apple nerds getting in early?

Kuma
2nd July 2007, 08:06 PM
Well of course it will taper off... but I think that with all the post positive hype units will continue to shift... as people come off contract... as firmware updates etc add more features...

this iphone will hit the 1m mark sooner rather than later...

then comes rev 2. the 3G version and all the rest of it...

Apple is going to smash Nokia and Co. unless these boys get something equally as compelling out soon.

Mctastic
2nd July 2007, 08:12 PM
Apple is going to smash Nokia and Co. unless these boys get something equally as compelling out soon.

indeed, i agree with you Kuma, so i watch and wait. Anybody know if there is a widget sales ticket anywhere?? :D

Shere Khaan
2nd July 2007, 08:42 PM
There was a lot of mac fans in that figure, but I think it is going to be the first round of updates that really gets people in. Apple is a master of hype and understand keeping it going.

Rasta
2nd July 2007, 08:43 PM
Do we reckon it will maintain the sales pace (ala iPod), or is it just all the Apple nerds getting in early?

I've seen only Apple nerds on the TV with them... but then again... we are talking about a biased media... :)

cosmichobo
2nd July 2007, 09:21 PM
Well I for one will not be buying an iPhone!

..... until I can afford one... :) Say, 2009 unless my Uni project becomes a tv series.

Kinda funny... We've always hated Big Ol' MS for dominating the industry, now here is Apple with the potential to do just that...

Hey, was it only 2 years ago that I argued on here about Apple turning to phones? Now here we are... 1/2 million sold... Let's hope Apple puts some of those funds into Macs/OS...

iSlayer
2nd July 2007, 09:30 PM
Macworld UK/Reuters say 525,000
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18436

Al Aero
2nd July 2007, 10:17 PM
Thats one hell of a launch for any product number wise!!

al

marc
2nd July 2007, 10:19 PM
I know the mobile market is more competitive, but we're still waiting for iPod killers... so maybe they won't get their act together.

Would be good if they did though.

Kinda funny... We've always hated Big Ol' MS for dominating the industry, now here is Apple with the potential to do just that...
Dominating the industry by having superior products is quite different to dominating with bad products and slightly shady strong arm business tactics.

Dubhousing
2nd July 2007, 10:21 PM
There's an awful lot on ebay already

iSlayer
3rd July 2007, 10:40 AM
Now macworld US is reporting as many as 700k
http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/07/02/iphoneestimates/index.php

marc
3rd July 2007, 10:47 AM
So it looks like they'll hit 10% of their yearly target in a week or so.

Insane.

iSlayer
3rd July 2007, 10:57 AM
So it looks like they'll hit 10% of their yearly target in a week or so.

Imagine if they had of had more stock !!.
1% looks like its going to easily happen well within 1 year. I reckon 2% maybe after a year

Kuma
3rd July 2007, 11:09 AM
I just ran through their store availability again.. there are red dots everywhere... sold out in many states...

what is interesting is that california has a few more green dots... so it means that they are also obviously already restocking..
when they announce opening weekend and week figures the numbers are going to be huge!!

Sambo
3rd July 2007, 12:01 PM
So what was the target figure after a year? 1% of how many mobile phone users? How many mobile users are there ?:P

Kuma
3rd July 2007, 12:16 PM
In 2006 there were 957m phones world wide
(mp3 players 135m)
he wants 1% of market share by the end of 08 (which is 10m phones sold)

at least that is what he said in the Macworld keynote

cosmichobo
3rd July 2007, 12:17 PM
So what was the target figure after a year? 1% of how many mobile phone users? How many mobile users are there ?:P

I think I read that Steve hoped to sell 10 million in 18 months?

How many mobile users? Well... I'd say the figure in a Western country would have to be close to if not more than 70% of the population... Under 10's and Over 60's are probably the smallest demographics, but these days a large % of kids in schools seem to have a mobile... and of course, some have more than 1...

mechcon
3rd July 2007, 12:33 PM
Europe, Asia and Australia will play a LARGE role of iPhones sold.. and all the included replacements, 2nd-gen's, etc etc..

Kuma
3rd July 2007, 12:46 PM
Europe, Asia and Australia will play a LARGE role of iPhones sold.. and all the included replacements, 2nd-gen's, etc etc..

I dont know how much of a role Aust will play.. with around 20m subscribers (apparently we are approaching 100% market saturation). I dont know how many ppl will be jumping onto the iphone in Aust.

Even some ppl here say they wont be buying an iPhone:confused:

if more than 1m iPhones were sold in Aust I would be surprised

Europe is where it is at really for Apple.. sure Asia would be a great market to crack.. but Apple's presence throughout Asia is rather minimal at best.

Cracking India, China, Korea and Japan would really help bolster there numbers .5% in those respective markets will go along way to getting Apple to their 08 goal.

Even after the weekend in America the iPhone is pretty much an unknown here in Japan (ie nobody has even heard of it let alone know what it can do). Apple has a long way to go over here.

Kuma
4th July 2007, 11:25 AM
Well I don't think the phenomenon is going away any time soon (well other than availability)

Tomorrow when the Americans wake up (Jul 4 Independence Day)
they will find across the 35 states where Apple has stores (164 of them) that only 39 stores in 15 states have stock.

I assume there will be no restocking on the holiday.. so it is very possible that on Thursday Apple will have sold out.

Given that we dont know how many phones Apple had to start with but some analysts are predicting 700k phones sold over the weekend... anyone prepared to say
1m phones in less than a week??

9m iPhones to go 17 months 3 weeks to sell them...

reckon Steve and Co. are happy?

lavo
4th July 2007, 12:17 PM
Hmmm....great first up sales, but I still figure most were from fan boys who had to have one. The real reviews are starting to float in now, which are not quite as glowing as the ones from Walt Mossberg and David Pogue. The big test will be the sales figures for 6 months, when the hoopla has died down.

It was interesting listening to this week's TwiT. Leo is pretty much going to give his iPhone to his daughter and keep using the N95 (with the crappy battery life!). Everyone loves the iPhone, *but*........each had one or two things that pee'd them off.

I'd suggest reading the review at Engadget:

iPhone Review (http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/03/iphone-review/)

Bit more balanced than others, and does highlight a few shortcomings of the iPhone ie it has major problems syncing from the iPhone's calendar back to your Mac/PC. I'm sure updates in the future will rectify the problems, but I'm personally not sold on spending what will probably be close a $1000AU if it lands here next year. Of course it will also depend on the carrier here too...... :-)

Kuma
4th July 2007, 12:55 PM
Interesting review...
I think the one thing that stands out from that review is that almost every issue is a software issue. Something that can be resolved.

I have heard it theorised that Apple has rushed the iPhone out.. they were behind schedule.. so they tightened up what they had.. discarded junky, flakey issues..

the phone works and it works well.. Apple now has time to sit back, mod, revise, analyse and easily update the firmware and the features of the iPhone.

As for Leo... Im quickly losing my respect for him as a tech journo... he espouses to many opinions without the facts Indeed the macbreak after WWDC he was trying to sound like he knew what was going on.. but in fact all he had done was skim (literally) so key points from engadget or somewhere else.

Leo has been rabbiting on about iPhone speeds and said that the Calamari ad should have a disclaimer because there is no way the iPhone can do what it does in the time and steps advertised...
The Macalope has put the kybosh on that POV

The iPhone works exactly as described in Apple's Calamari ad (http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad2/). There were some who doubted that and suggested there should have been some kind of disclaimer at the bottom, but that work flow and the number of taps is 100% accurate.

I asked him about time his reply

Exactly, if...

You can type perfectly on the keypad. And, the horned one supposes, you
also own "Pirates of the Caribbean" and are in downtown San Francisco.

lavo
4th July 2007, 01:22 PM
Good to know that the issues are software-based (I hope that doesn't mean that the Leopard crew are going to be pulled away again). By the time the iPhone does arrive, it will be pretty good phone :-)

Leo is becoming more of a sensationalist like Dvorak every day. He has too many shows, so spends little or no time researching the facts. And Scott Bourne is just plain grating. If it weren't for Merlin Mann, I'd be giving Macbreak Weekly a wide berth.

Kuma
4th July 2007, 04:48 PM
Just listened to the latest MBW.. Leo is enjoying the iPhone more and more.. and even likes the buds...

I don't think his daughter will be getting his iPhone anytime soon.

Kuma
5th July 2007, 10:11 PM
and all but gone
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hotcakes/iphone-now-sold-out-fastest+selling-phone-ever-for-att-275086.php