PDA

View Full Version : Adobe CS3 Student or Education version?

jastormont
1st July 2007, 03:10 PM
Hi all,

I am looking at getting a copy of CS3 education version (I am a Uni Student) and was surprised to see they now offer 2 Academic versions of each CS3 suite!

For example you can get the Education version for $900.00 or you can get the Student version for $500.00. I was wondering if anyone here would know the diffrence between the 2?

I am concerned that after reading what I found on one website that you may only be able to register the product once! Here is some info I did find but was not sure of the limitations:

Student Edition" Products will be sold in a "Mini-Box" package which will not contain manuals.

What is a "qualified student"?
* Students enrolled at an accredited public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction
* Full or part time students enrolled at Higher Education establishments defined as accredited public or private university or college that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two (2) years of full-time study

1. The Adobe Student Editions are only for eligible students, NOT teachers or lecturers. Teachers and lecturers can continue to buy Adobe Education box products.
2. Customers will only be able to register one copy of each product in a 12 month period.
3. This product is for personal use ONLY. This product may not be used for commercial gain.

Students will be required to provide proof of their current student status to install the products. Students must be enrolled in a degree-granting program at an acceptable Education Institution (being a bona fide university or college - including community, junior and vocational colleges or other further education colleges - that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two (2) years of full time study) OR Students must be enrolled at an accredited public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction.

Product licenses are limited to one per customer. This license may only be used on a privately-owned computer. The product may not be used for commercial purposes.

Full details of the process for submitting proof of status can be found in the box COLOR="DarkOrange"]
Any help is much welcomed.

Cheers...

adsis1
1st July 2007, 04:06 PM
For the STUDENT edition you are required to send a copy of your Student ID to Adobe for them to provide you with a serial number.

This process isnt required with the EDU version.

jastormont
1st July 2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I was courious though if there are any limitations.

When you read the info I found point 2 that concernd me. I read it as if I can only get a Serial number once a year. What if I have to re-install in lets say 3 mnths of getting it, will I have to wait for another 7mnths before they issue me a new serial for re-installation?

curientai
1st July 2007, 10:09 PM
http://www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/faq.html

According to Adobe, Education Version can be used for paid works while you are student or after school. You may also use the Education Version to upgrade to the next major release.

It seems Student Version does not have the same condition with the Education Version.

ogdred
29th August 2008, 07:24 PM
Adobe customer service tried telling me that 'Education version' was for teachers only, but the person I spoke to had a definite 'i have no idea what I'm talking about' demeanour when they said it.

I checked with Educationsoftware.com.au (the place I bought my CS3 web premium Education version from) and was given this advice;

Adobe only brought out the ĎStudent Editionsí this year and not all programs are available in the Student Edition either. Here are the differences between the Student and Education versions:

Student Edition
* No User Guide
* No serial number in box. Student needs to send Adobe the form inside box and student ID to obtain serial number. Adobe ETA 3 working days.
* Can only register one copy of each product in a 12 month period.
* Canít use after studies or for commercial purposes.
* Can only be used on a privately owned computer.
* Product is limited to one per customer

Education Version
* Comes with User Guide
* Comes with serial number inside box, therefore can install immediately.
* No expiry
* Can use after studies
* Can use for commercial purposes[http://www.adobe.com/uk/education/purchasing/faq.html]

PatrickH
29th August 2008, 07:48 PM
But after your studies, what happens to the student version of what you purchased?

matthewlesh
29th August 2008, 09:39 PM
But after your studies, what happens to the student version of what you purchased?

Nothing.. they're going to have no idea that you've finished your studies.. but it does mean that you will be breaking the rules if you do not upgrade to the full version before using it for comical gain.

bennyling
29th August 2008, 09:49 PM
Student Edition
* Canít use after studies or for commercial purposes.

Which completely sucks, considering the Master Collection is $749 at the Student price.

Compare that to the Academic price: $1,799

Or the ultra-scary Retail price: $4,799

*shudders*

PatrickH
29th August 2008, 09:55 PM
Nothing.. they're going to have no idea that you've finished your studies.. but it does mean that you will be breaking the rules if you do not upgrade to the full version before using it for comical gain.

Then if that's the case, how can they track people who are using it after that time? Adobe has kind of opened a can of worms if there is no limitation to it.

At least with Autodesk, they have 12, 24 or 36 month student copies of their programs.

bennyling
29th August 2008, 10:03 PM
Adobe aren't perfect, no company is.

They're relying on you, the customer, to "Do the right thing" and upgrade your license when you're not a student anymore.

Same with MS and their Office 2008 EDU packs.

matthewlesh
1st September 2008, 08:39 PM
Then if that's the case, how can they track people who are using it after that time? Adobe has kind of opened a can of worms if there is no limitation to it.

At least with Autodesk, they have 12, 24 or 36 month student copies of their programs.

Your probably right.. but if your going to brake the rules why not just get it completely illegally. Also with the student stuff you have to prove your a student.

PatrickH
3rd September 2008, 05:02 PM
Also with the student stuff you have to prove your a student.

That's no problem for me. I wanted to get the student edition of their production suite for my visual arts work for year 12 work and other pieces of work. But when I finish high school and intend to go to uni can I still use it?

Jaali
26th November 2008, 02:48 PM
Does anyone know if the same rules (EDU version can be used for commercial purposes) apply with CS4?