PDA

View Full Version : Abobe CS3 need more ram?

mattyb
1st July 2007, 02:47 AM
I am finding the performance of Adobe CS3, in particular Illustator, to be a little slow.
I am running a stock standard Macbook Pro C2D 2.16, 1g ram.

Will getting another gig of ram boost performance significantly?
The slow downs seem to happen when I have multiple projects open and if I apply an artistic brush to a complex vector graphic or run a live trace.
I even get a message saying I've run out of memory.

Will 2g or ram make a big difference? Will 2g be enough? Do I need 3?

Any advice would be grand.:)

p.s. I have tried running the 13.01 but that doesn't work, but I doubt that will offer significant performance increases.

suryo
1st July 2007, 04:27 AM
If you get out of memory messages you obviously need more memory. The more the merrier. Get 3GB if you can afford it.

EDIT: BTW how full is your hard drive?

TAK
1st July 2007, 08:24 AM
RAM can definitely make a big difference. Get 2 GB at the very least, heck throw in 3 GB if you can.

I am using a 2.2 Ghz MacBook Pro with 2 GB RAM and CS3 runs flawlessly.

geektechnu
1st July 2007, 08:48 AM
Multiple projects open?

Extra ram will do you a world of good.

Danamania
1st July 2007, 08:51 AM
I am finding the performance of Adobe CS3, in particular Illustator, to be a little slow.
I am running a stock standard Macbook Pro C2D 2.16, 1g ram.

Will getting another gig of ram boost performance significantly?
The slow downs seem to happen when I have multiple projects open and if I apply an artistic brush to a complex vector graphic or run a live trace.
I even get a message saying I've run out of memory.

Will 2g or ram make a big difference? Will 2g be enough? Do I need 3?

Any advice would be grand.:)

In my experience, for an Adobe CS app to say it's run out of memory, then it's tried bloody hard to do what you asked, including swapping to disk like crazy and running way under normal speed. Sounds like more RAM would be *exactly* what you need - and as much as you can get!

Dana

mattyb
1st July 2007, 09:24 AM
Excellent. That's all I need to know. Wasn't sure if the out of memory message was real or some sort of glitch.

Thanks for the confirmation. :)

Currawong
1st July 2007, 10:01 AM
An external HD for the scratch disk + large files would also help, especially if your machine is desk-bound and you get a full-size FW800 drive.

mattyb
1st July 2007, 11:51 AM
I do have a couple of external usb drives, but I have been using them for crap. Maybe I should start using them properly:)

mac_man_luke
1st July 2007, 12:16 PM
I would say with intel macs and doing anything substantial you need min 2GB