PDA

View Full Version : iPhone: John Gruber's first impressions

soulman
1st July 2007, 12:25 AM
Mr Daring Fireball has not one but two iPhones and has posted his first impressions here (http://daringfireball.net/2007/06/iphone_first_impressions). He also has some pics on his Flickr account (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gruber/).

Overall day one impression: the iPhone is 95 percent amazing, 5 percent maddening. Im just blown away by how nice it is very thoughtful UI design and outstanding engineering. It is very fun...

forgie
1st July 2007, 01:31 AM
As usual for Gruber, he gives a very good, insightful overview of the iPhone on it's first day. I'm kind of glad that we probably won't see an iPhone until a 2g, 3G (!) model comes out here. For once I will be FORCED to avoid "revision A syndrome".

Dante Kyar
1st July 2007, 02:38 AM
He said mail crashed for him twice, and then he sent a report to apple next time he synced with itunes. Apple should be fixing this pretty quickly.

The more i think about it, the more i agree with Forgie, im glad that im forced to avoid revision A.

Lets just hope the rumor of 3g being released on monday (or perhaps monday week) is true.

iSlayer
1st July 2007, 07:55 AM
I would happily buy a rev a iPhone. There really doesnt seem to be any major issues so far which is pretty amazing for a company thats never done anything like this before.

NORMANDY
1st July 2007, 08:11 AM
I would happily buy a rev a iPhone. There really doesnt seem to be any major issues so far which is pretty amazing for a company thats never done anything like this before.

Pity it wont be here till November 2008 (The Sunday Age 1 july 2007)

iSlayer
1st July 2007, 08:21 AM
Pity it wont be here till November 2008 (The Sunday Age 1 july 2007)

Just another rumor. Could end up being well before then.

DJY
1st July 2007, 08:42 AM
Just another rumor. Could end up being well before then.

I agree it is just another rumour...
we might not have one at all by then!

NORMANDY
1st July 2007, 08:52 AM
I agree it is just another rumour...
we might not have one at all by then!

Personally I rather get version 2 or 3 when it has 16 GB of memory or more, and can have flash cards that are removable, a removable battery, and can do MP3 ring tones.. and is a FULL GPS... AND record video and is a full 3G phone. All that stuff is at least 2-3 generations away.. and by that time it might actually be in Australia... till then its vapourware for Australians...

deadants
1st July 2007, 09:23 AM
You may not be able to get your hands on an iPhone till next year but you can download the iPhone User's Guide (Manual). At least we can bone up on how it works.

http://support.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/ACSerialReceiver.woa/wa/manualsList?config=WH8

entropy
1st July 2007, 09:49 AM
no way will they announce a 3g version on monday. That would just generate bad press and sour grapes from early adopters. Paris in September.

yitzyf
1st July 2007, 10:06 AM
Here you go,you can have an iPhone right now... (http://www.creativetechs.com/tips/tip_resources/PaperCraft/iPhone/iphone_readymech.pdf)

:D

aswitcher
1st July 2007, 10:15 AM
Heres a better one http://sneakmove.com/images/diy_iphone.pdf

Shere Khaan
1st July 2007, 10:21 AM
I don't see apple ever making the batteries removable. It means they no longer have control over battery brand and Apple is very particular about software and hardware standards that could detract from their quality. It's what makes Apple.

gelfie
1st July 2007, 10:26 AM
You think its about quality? It's so they can rape you on replacing the battery and/or phone.

Shere Khaan
1st July 2007, 10:57 AM
Maybe, but people will not make the distinction between crap batteries and crap iphones.

It's the same with the software. When people think of mobile windows it's easy to associate the dearth of dodgy unstable programs as bad windows. It's why apple is hugely restricting the applications too.

iSlayer
1st July 2007, 11:54 AM
a removable battery

As others have pointed out that will probably never happen. It hasn't with the iPod and i expect it wont with the iPhone

OziMac
1st July 2007, 12:09 PM
I was hoping to have some first impressions by now, but as you might have noticed, AT&T are having issues with the huge number of activations, and mine is one that is currently lost in the ether. Given that many people have been waiting over 24 hours for theirs to progress, I'm not optimistic.

But it'll happen when it happens, and I will get on to posting some first impressions from an Australian / MTAU perspective then.

I can say this though - I tried slipping in the old Optus SIM card (sounds dirty doesn't it?) and I got an error message saying that I had inserted a 'Locked SIM' and that the iPhone would only work with an 'Unlocked SIM'. Whatever that means.

Shere Khaan
1st July 2007, 12:21 PM
From what I can gather a number of people with long activating times actually have faulty sims and getting a new sim card has let them activate in minutes. Maybe try getting a new sim card and it might fix your problem :)

marc
1st July 2007, 12:41 PM
Replaceable batteries and not really needed if the battery lasts 2+ years.

I'm sure there will be 3rd party options anyway (like for the iPod).

Atomac
1st July 2007, 12:42 PM
I don't think we will ever see the iPhone here. Seriously.

As mentioned in other threads we just don't have the infrastructure outside of a company with the monopoly on high-speed networks.

iPhoto photo book? Purchase movies? T.V. shows? etc.

DJY
1st July 2007, 01:04 PM
I don't think we will ever see the iPhone here. Seriously.

As mentioned in other threads we just don't have the infrastructure outside of a company with the monopoly on high-speed networks.

iPhoto photo book? Purchase movies? T.V. shows? etc.

I have been thinking about this... and especially the examples you have given.
But the difference there is hardware vs software / or other products.

I'm not aware of any hardware that Apple has made that hasn't been rolled out internationally?
That's what I'm hoping for anyway!

Having said that though - am considering a Dopod 838 Pro or I-mate Jasjam in the meantime - as I think we will be in for a very extended wait / delay - and don't see iPhone here anytime early / mid 2008.

Atomac
1st July 2007, 02:16 PM
I'm not aware of any hardware that Apple has made that hasn't been rolled out internationally?

Quite true. I just thought I would throw it out there. Mind you I don't think that Apple has released any hardware internationally that relies upon a third-party for its function.

NelsonX
1st July 2007, 10:20 PM
Re. the expected australian release - I don't see any reference to November 2008? Just did a search on theAge's internet.

It seems the phone is expected here either later this year or early next year.

Nelson

NORMANDY
2nd July 2007, 01:31 PM
Re. the expected australian release - I don't see any reference to November 2008? Just did a search on theAge's internet.

It seems the phone is expected here either later this year or early next year.

Nelson

it was in the news paper, printed version!