PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Folder Watch?

mattmac
30th June 2007, 06:26 PM
Hi People,

Trying to set up something with my network, was hoping someone can tell me how to set up itunes to allow it to "watch" a folder an automatically update its library?

Is it possible? It seems to be for windows after a bit of hunting around on google but I found nothing for mac!

Cheers

Matt

decryption
30th June 2007, 06:39 PM
I want this too if anyone knows!

Silver
30th June 2007, 07:00 PM
You should be able to do this with AppleScript and folder actions, but I haven't attempted it.

mattmac
30th June 2007, 07:05 PM
You should be able to do this with AppleScript and folder actions, but I haven't attempted it.

I found both those things very confusing :( Surely there is something out there..

jonargall
30th June 2007, 07:29 PM
I wrote this bash (terminal) script, saved it and stuck it in the dock. If you want it to run automatically, you could use the utility cron to do that.

#Add2iTunes.command
#/bin/bash
#
#This script adds files to your iTunes collection from a watched folder. It will not run if the folder is empty or has only
#a Finder icon file in it.
#
#When you run this script the first time, it will make a wathed folder called "__AddThese" in your iTunes Music folder.
#Put aliases to this script and that folder somewhere accessible (like the Dock, Sidebar or Desktop).
#
#Alternatively, you could get cron to run this script periodically.
#
#Make sure you give it the extension .command and type "chmod 777 /<PATHTOSCRIPT>/Add2iTunes.command" in the Terminal.
#
#If your iTunes music folder's not it your home directory, or if you need to use sudo for some reason, change HOM and S here:
HOM=$HOME ; S=""
FOL=$HOM/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Music/__AddThese
TFOL="$FOL/../________TemporaryAdd2iTunes.command"
if test -d "$FOL" ; then
cd "$FOL"
if test "`ls -b`" = "Icon\r" -o "`ls`" = "" ; then exit ; else
cd ..
$S mkdir "$TFOL"
$S mv "$FOL/"* "$TFOL/"
$S mv "$TFOL/Icon"* "$FOL/"
open -a iTunes "$TFOL"
read -t 30
fi
else
$S mkdir "$FOL"
fi

vicmeldrew
30th June 2007, 08:04 PM
I am not sure if this what you mean.

If you choose the "Add to Library" option" in iTunes and direct it to your iTunes folder, it will only update what has been added to the iTunes music file. I do this to back up on a second computer. If any metadata has changed, like adding cover art or if you have edited info it will duplicate the tracks, so you'll need to go though and discard the old versions.