PDA

View Full Version : Forcing a PDF to open in Acrobat

ClockWork
30th June 2007, 11:43 AM
Is there any way in which I can create a PDF so that it must open in Adobe Acrobat Reader - as opposed to Preview - and if Adobe Acrobat Reader is not in the Applications folder, and one attempts to open one of my PDFs, a message appears telling the opener to "get" Adobe Acobat Reader from here: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

?

Cheers,

cw

bel.plews
30th June 2007, 11:50 AM
Is there any way in which I can create a PDF so that it must open in Adobe Acrobat Reader - as opposed to Preview - and if Adobe Acrobat Reader is not in the Applications folder, and one attempts to open one of my PDFs, a message appears telling the opener to "get" Adobe Acobat Reader from here: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

?

Cheers,

cw

please can anyone tell me this too ... it's (PREVIEW) a bastard at work!

shelly79
30th June 2007, 11:51 AM
Just set adobe acrobat as the default for opening pdf files
Select any PDF file saved on your computer and control-click or right-click on the file's icon, select File > Get Info. A panel will appear. Select the Open With option, select the application type "Adobe acrobat"
If you also click on "Change All" this will automatically make all pdfs open in Adobe.

grfxninja
30th June 2007, 11:51 AM
Is there any way in which I can create a PDF so that it must open in Adobe Acrobat Reader - as opposed to Preview

Does it work if you get info on the file, and set "open with..." to Reader?

EDIT: Or is it that you want to set a PDF file that you create to open only in Reader?

ClockWork
30th June 2007, 11:59 AM
EDIT: Or is it that you want to set a PDF file that you create to open only in Reader?

Yes - more like EDIT, so that if the PDF is sent out to many computers, regardless of whether they are Mac or WIN, they must open in Adobe Acrobat Reader - and if a machine doesn't have Acrobat Reader onboard, the user must download it.

Possible?

cheers,

cw

grfxninja
30th June 2007, 12:02 PM
I believe it is, just that I can't remember how to do it....

I will see what I can find.

What are you creating the file with? Acrobat or something else?

Galumay
30th June 2007, 12:17 PM
Yes - more like EDIT, so that if the PDF is sent out to many computers, regardless of whether they are Mac or WIN, they must open in Adobe Acrobat Reader - and if a machine doesn't have Acrobat Reader onboard, the user must download it.

Possible?

cheers,

cw

Out of interest why would you want to do that? some users will have 3rd party PDF readers (neither Adobe or Preview), some mac users will prefer safari.

If i got a PDF file sent to me that would only open in AAR i would delete it!!

ClockWork
30th June 2007, 12:18 PM
Oh - all with Adobe Acrobat - it contains Field Forms and linking buttons, so if it opens on another machine with something other than Acrobat, those graphic features and functions won't work.

Thanks,

cw

ClockWork
30th June 2007, 12:30 PM
Out of interest why would you want to do that? some users will have 3rd party PDF readers (neither Adobe or Preview), some mac users will prefer safari.

If i got a PDF file sent to me that would only open in AAR i would delete it!!

It's one PDF file that'll be embedded in a web page, for download. There are a series of maps contained within it. The first map shows the entire Indo-Pacific area of the world. Upon this main map, there a green out-lined squares.

When the user swings their mouse over those square, they change colour to show that they're interactive. When they are clicked, it zooms in on that area, to reveal more terrestrial detail - and even those have hot-squares that one can click and instantly zoom in upon further.

There are also Print buttons on these page, that will execute a print function of the particular area, plus instructions yet created to print minus the Print Button and minus the instructions.

It's rather complex - and Preview - or some other app just can't cut the mustard.

cw

Currawong
30th June 2007, 12:38 PM
The problem you'd have then is that someone downloading it, being told they had to have Acrobat reader to view it, would possibly just give up instead of bother at all. If you need all this functionality, then you probably need a web site with it built in, instead of a PDF file.

ClockWork
30th June 2007, 12:46 PM
Ah - I agree - however... this is what the customer has paid me for and wants.

This being - something small that the user can download and view, without being connected to the internet, but I take your point on just putting the instruction:

Must be opened using Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, download it from here.

I just wondered if there was some... tricky way - for that info to appear on either a Mac or a PC, when the PDF was opened - or attempted to be opened.

cheers,

cw

marc
30th June 2007, 12:48 PM
I'm with Currawong... plus, it's not possible (and I wouldn't want anyone forcing me to use Acrobat... I find Preview much better!).

ClockWork
30th June 2007, 12:57 PM
Plus - as it'll go out world-wide - there's a greater chance it'll be opened on WIN PCs.

If a PC has no Acrobat Reader, what does it use?

(Knows nothing about PC options...)

Marc and Galumay - I understand your die-hard lust for OS X based apps, yet the maps must be viewed correctly, and Preview - though flexible enough to open just about any graphic format, simply doesn't under stand the Form Fields embedded within the PDF.

Acrobat is an incredibly powerful app - all the way from making a simple text based document, to
embedding invisible fields, links, sounds, movies and menu executible functions.

cheers,

cw

marc
30th June 2007, 01:27 PM
If a PC has no Acrobat Reader, what does it use?
Windows has no native PDF viewing.

Marc and Galumay - I understand your die-hard lust for OS X based apps, yet the maps must be viewed correctly, and Preview - though flexible enough to open just about any graphic format, simply doesn't under stand the Form Fields embedded within the PDF.
That's not it at all. I think you're missing the point... PDFs can't be used as a way to distribute forms where you can guarantee it'll work first time and without the need for 3rd party apps to be installed.

Using a web site form solves both those issues elegantly and doesn't force something on a user they might not want (= less chance of hate mail).

ClockWork
30th June 2007, 01:50 PM
I was commisioned to create a series of extremely precise maps that could be navigated through in an Adobe Acrobat format, which could be downloaded quickly from a web site.

The web site will be expressly created for those interested in what it's about. The end user doesn't have to download anything if they don't want to, yet without the visual "portable and printable" information, they have no idea of what is actually going on.

If I paid you a two thousand dollars to do this, would you tell me to fuck off?

It was just... a bleedin' question - awright!

I'll consult a collegue designer.

AddIt: Galumay - I think you're a fascist. I give you help here - and you give me shit. No more.

cw

marc
30th June 2007, 01:59 PM
If I paid you a two thousand dollars to do this, would you tell me to fuck off?
If you asked me to do something that's not technically possible, then as a professional I would tell you that, rather than taking your money.

It was just... a bleedin' question - awright!

I'll consult a collegue designer.
It's not possible and it's not the best way to achieve your goal. No need to shoot the messenger. You're dealing with facts here, not an opinion.

From what you've told us it seems like there's two ways to solve it:
- Tell people they have to use Acrobat
- Use a different technology (Google Maps and a web site maybe?)

I don't think anyone's been rude to you in this thread, so you might consider taking that on board with your future responses.

Shatter
30th June 2007, 02:33 PM
I'm with Currawong... plus, it's not possible

Couldn't you just place it inside a script (with the PDF icon) that checks for Adobe Reader, then opens it in that and if it cannot find it, then it opens an alert directing you to Adobe's site?

Anyway, you could always make it a site, then provide a downloadable version of the site (just that bit).

Or, put a warning next to the (PDF) download on the site saying "You need <a href="http://adobe.com/whatever/the/download/link/is">Adobe Reader</a> to view this document properly."