PDA

View Full Version : broken screen

karanbangia
29th June 2007, 08:03 PM
hey,
i dropped my laptop and broke my screen..
i also visited a mac service centre and wat they told me was that the screen would cost me 1400 dollars..
could someone pls advise me and tell me wat to do..

thanks..

Huy
29th June 2007, 08:05 PM
Ouch sorry to hear that :(

Buy a new Mac laptop if it's going to cost $1400 to fix.
MacBooks are about that much. Hopefully you didn't drop a MacBook...

Then what I'd do is run the machine via an external monitor, permanently. At least you can still have a (hopefully) functioning machine to use at home, even if the LCD panel is broken - you can connect up an external monitor and use it as a 2nd machine... with your replacement laptop.

Brains
29th June 2007, 08:06 PM
1) Buy a replacement screen assembly from the US and install it yourself
2) Consider this an expensive lesson, and buy a new MacBook, but this time get some AppleCare.

B.

karanbangia
29th June 2007, 08:06 PM
could some one pls tell me where can i order a macbook 13 inch screen for cheap..

Huy
29th June 2007, 08:16 PM
I doubt you'd want to do it, but that's up to you.

Personally I would just hook it up to an external monitor and use it as a "desktop" Mac, assuming it still works minus the LCD and you've got the room for another Mac/desktop machine.

Then buy a new MacBook low end model and swap the RAM and HDD if you had upgraded them in the broken machine.

I couldn't find LCD panels for MacBooks to sell. Probably best to go through the reseller if you really wanted to do that... (again, get a new MacBook, it'll save you the trouble...)

Alec Fraser
29th June 2007, 08:21 PM
Honestly mate, you've better off just replacing the machine and getting AppleCare, or forking out the $1400 for a professional repair.

Jedda
29th June 2007, 08:28 PM
Don't know why you are all suggesting AppleCare... It's not like a drop is covered under it or anything.

Galumay
29th June 2007, 08:31 PM
Don't know why you are all suggesting AppleCare... It's not like a drop is covered under it or anything.

yup, i wondered the same thing.

James
There's two for sale on Oz eBay right now.

One's $449 BIN, the other's $46 with a day to go.

There's half a dozen on US eBay, too.

It's not that hard to swap, either, with good ol' ifixit.com and a bit of patience.

purana

Exactly... NOT COVERED :)

Alec Fraser
29th June 2007, 08:32 PM
Well if he's gone and dropped the thing and busted the screen, he's probably liable to do other things to it that are covered by AppleCare :P

Jedda
29th June 2007, 08:41 PM
Well if he's gone and dropped the thing and busted the screen, he's probably liable to do other things to it that are covered by AppleCare :P

Sorry to be a hard-arse, but warranty is only to cover defects in materials and workmanship under normal use.

Users who do any damage to their machines essentially void the entire warranty, regardless of whether or not other parts have visible damage, and should be told that there is no coverage.

karanbangia
29th June 2007, 08:49 PM
i did have apple care but the service centre ppl refused as they said a broken screen is not covered...

could some one also suggest where can i order a screen from? i really dont mind buying one and assembling it myself.... :-(

William
29th June 2007, 08:52 PM
Have you got covered by insurance???

William

karanbangia
29th June 2007, 08:53 PM
no insurance!

**sigh**

Rasta
29th June 2007, 08:58 PM
Drive to the dodgiest part of town, leave it on the back seat of your car and walk away hoping for the best...(as long as you have car insurance!)...

But in reality... fork out the $1,400, get a new MacBook and force yourself never to drop the poor thing again...

James
29th June 2007, 09:05 PM
could some one also suggest where can i order a screen from? i really dont mind buying one and assembling it myself.... :-(

Um... read post #9...

:rolleyes:

karanbangia
29th June 2007, 09:12 PM
i did act. go thru ebay but i am not sure about buyin it off ebay..
have had a bad experince..:confused:
so if someone could please suggest somethin else..

thanks..

Huy
29th June 2007, 09:24 PM
Really, get a new MacBook and treat it well.

I doubt you'd be able to take apart your MacBook and install a new LCD screen... you might end up botching the job as well and then you'd have a non-working MacBook with a broken LCD.

Does the machine still work?
Have you used an external monitor with it? (mini-DVI to DVI or VGA cable)
If so, just use it like that. Recover your data. Then migrate to a new machine/laptop?

Edit
Also with AppleCare on the machine, at least you'll be covered for any future issues such as battery problems or hardware failures (non-intentional/accidental). Put that AppleCare to good use and have a working laptop (via external monitor setup).

karanbangia
29th June 2007, 09:31 PM
thanks a lot guys..

P.S.- still confused about whether to buy a new one or change the screen..striking out the third one(using it as a desktop)..

thanks again..

Huy
29th June 2007, 09:56 PM
Well if it's between getting a new one and fixing it, then if it's going to cost $1400, you might as well get a new one.

FBTN
29th June 2007, 10:01 PM
What's your location there? Maybe I can help you out.

Devil
29th June 2007, 10:04 PM
search these forums for a macbook tht has liquid spilled onto it. buy the dead bits. keep fingers crossed!

karanbangia
29th June 2007, 11:20 PM
i am in melbourne..

ilostmypassword
4th July 2007, 02:23 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MacBook-13-3-LCD-Screen-Replacement-New-From-Factory_W0QQitemZ270140719616QQihZ017QQcategoryZ46 06QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$449 for a replacement :D