PDA

View Full Version : need help, AGAIN

leongt
24th January 2005, 08:51 PM
In my previous post my son's Imac 233 was playing up, the keyboard wouldn't work, well he fixed that by reinstalling OS 9.2 and it went ok for a few days now the mouse is not working, I brought a new mouse thinking that was the problem but it wasent, he told me an error message box came up with some thing about the USB port's but he couldn't remember what is said, I dont know much about apple mac's, I'm thinking it could be the driver's for the USB ports, also what are some of the keyboard commands for useing the keyboard instead of the mouse, my son is 14 but he has minor autism and can be a real pain some times so any help on this would be great.

thank's Leon

hawker
24th January 2005, 09:14 PM
Hi Leon,

Sounds like a USB controller problem - I take it you've tried plugging the mouse directly into the iMac, in different USB ports, different ports on the keyboard etc?

Past this, I would recommend updating your OS to the latest possible OS 9 and possibly looking around for any sort of USB drivers - sorry not sure where to look, maybe another appletalk member can help here...

Past that, sounds like USB could be stuffed? Hope not...

leongt
25th January 2005, 09:53 AM
the keyboard is working and he has a USB hub pluged into his mac and that 's working too, so I'm thinking software problems of some sort.

hawker
25th January 2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by leongt@Jan 25 2005, 09:53 AM
the keyboard is working and he has a USB hub pluged into his mac and that 's working too, so I'm thinking software problems of some sort.
so have you plugged it directly into the mac? bypassing the USB Hub and keyboard, so it is getting straight USB power, rather then secondary power through the keyboard and/or hub?!

leongt
25th January 2005, 03:04 PM
the keyboard is plugged directly into the mac not the hub, and both are getting power but the mouse is not, dosent matter if it's plugged into the mac or keyboard there's no power to it , it's a scroll mouse and the light under it dosent light up on the mac but light's if I use it on my PC and workes ok this is why I think it's software problems, I printed out a list of mac keyboard commands but I couldn't figure out how to get the drop down menu's to work becouse I was going to reformat and HDD and do a clean install of OS 9.2 to see if this fixed the problem.

Currawong
25th January 2005, 03:13 PM
Does everything work fine without the keyboard or with a different keyboard? Another thing, it could be the USB hub causing the problems.

suryo
25th January 2005, 03:50 PM
This immediately seems to me like an extensions issue. Mac OS 9 does not load extensions/drivers automatically. They need to be manually enabled/disabled and load at startup.

If what Currawong suggested doesn't work, the next thing I'd do is rebuild the desktop with extensions off. To do this, restart the computer while holding the :cmd: , option and shift keys. When you see the Mac OS logo with Extensions off underneath, you can let the shift key go, but keep holding the other two until you see the message "Are you sure you want to rebuild the desktop... blah blah". Click yes. If the mouse works now, then open the Extensions Manager (Apple Menu > Control Panels > Extensions Manager) and enable "Mac OS 9.x.x All" as the selected set then restart the computer. If the mouse still doesn't work, you will need to do a clean install of the OS.

leongt
25th January 2005, 09:53 PM
yes tryed the extensions thing with no luck, when you boot from the OS cdrom shouldn't the mac be useing files from the cd-rom not the HDD and there for the mouse should work like when you do a clean install, anyway my son went and deleted all of the OS off of the HDD so I can only boot from the cd now damm pest he is, my son say's the caplock's light is not as bright as it use to be I don't know if this means anything but I throught the USB port's mite not be giveing enuff power for the mouse to work but just the keyboard, it sounds dumb I know but it is a scroll mouse and I dont have a USB ball mouse to try, I tryed to do a clean install of OS 9.1 but when I get to the part were it say's the licence agreement do you agree or disagree I cannot figure out the key's to press to continue the install I'm lost without a mouse, if anyone can help on the key's I need to use would be a great help

hawker
25th January 2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by leongt@Jan 25 2005, 09:53 PM
anyway my son went and deleted all of the OS off of the HDD so I can only boot from the cd now damm pest he is
Hi again Leon,

Do a reinstall, if it works, which it should, lock down the OS so you're son can do what he needs to, but cannot stuff up the OS and settings etc. Like a sort of school set up. One of the others may have better ideas on this, I don't remember too much about security for OS 9.

In any case, good luck!

leongt
26th January 2005, 12:01 AM
thank's hawker I mite just do that, I'm 51 next birthday and the boy drives me crazy and stope's me playing my Half Life 2, he's 14 but as I mite have mentioned he has minor autism and there are some things like he's up with his own age groop but a lot of things he's abuot at a 9 old's level or lower and he can be quite a hand full some time's, by the way he's mad about the simpsons.

hawker
26th January 2005, 08:36 AM
I believe that Mac is a good machine for him to be on, it can support many things he might want to do at either age level, if you want to lock down the OS once you've reinstalled let us know here and we'll try and help you out with it....

Don't we all love "The Simpsons" :rolleyes:

leongt
26th January 2005, 11:11 AM
Hawker, I'm still trying to figure out the key's to press to get past the License agreement part of OS 9.1 were you have to agree or disagree I cannot seem to get past this part, is it just a case of useing the arrow key's and caplock's key like you do with a PC or is the Mac key's different, if they are the key's perhaps the keyboard is playing up too. :huh:

vicmeldrew
26th January 2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by leongt@Jan 26 2005, 11:11 AM
Hawker, I'm still trying to figure out the key's to press to get past the License agreement part of OS 9.1 were you have to agree or disagree I cannot seem to get past this part, is it just a case of useing the arrow key's and caplock's key like you do with a PC or is the Mac key's different, if they are the key's perhaps the keyboard is playing up too. :huh:
Leongt
I have a G4 imac with both OS 10 and OS 9.2. I tried getting past the licence agreement with the keyboard while booted on the OS 9.2 CD. I could not get past it with the keyboard either. The agree option is not highlighted so the return key did not work for me either. Sorry i am not much use. Maybe the Apple support forum on OS 9 and imac CRT can help. Best of luck

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@...fLeP.0@.eed6a76 (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@34.jR67aPZfLeP.0@.eed6a76)

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@...fLeP.1@.ee6ba56 (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@34.jR67aPZfLeP.1@.ee6ba56)

Richard

PS- Steven Spielberg is slightly autistic.

leongt
26th January 2005, 01:30 PM
thanks richard, I have just posted on the OS 9.1 forum about this problem, also I just noticed that the exturnal FDD my son had working on his mac before will not work now when plugged into the mac or the usb hub but it work fine on my PC, I'm just thinking it mite bue the USB port's that are not giveing enuff power to run the scroll mouse or FDD but just enuff to run the keyboard sound's dumb I know but my son did say to me that the cap lock's light is not as bright as it use to be. :huh:

suryo
26th January 2005, 02:48 PM
Try unplugging everything except the mouse. If it doesn't work after that, I'd say the usb ports on the iMac are toast.

glenmorrow
26th January 2005, 03:05 PM
I have a vision impairment and am heavily reliant on keystrokes and have been hunting around trying to investigate various keyboard alternatives to using the mouse.

In the license agreement, try pressing TAB until the checkbox is highlighted, then use SPACE to check it, then TAB to the Continue or I Agree (what ever it is) button and press ENTER.

I haven't used OS 9 (I'm running Panther) but I can say there's quite a lot of keyboard alternatives in this OS.

Like, for example, if you want to cycle between current running applications, you can use APPLE+TAB (hold down the APPLE key and press TAB continually until you get to the program you want then relase the APPLE key).

Anyway let me know if I can help out anymore.

cheers
Glen

leongt
26th January 2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by glenmorrow@Jan 26 2005, 05:05 AM
I have a vision impairment and am heavily reliant on keystrokes and have been hunting around trying to investigate various keyboard alternatives to using the mouse.

In the license agreement, try pressing TAB until the checkbox is highlighted, then use SPACE to check it, then TAB to the Continue or I Agree (what ever it is) button and press ENTER.

I haven't used OS 9 (I'm running Panther) but I can say there's quite a lot of keyboard alternatives in this OS.

Like, for example, if you want to cycle between current running applications, you can use APPLE+TAB (hold down the APPLE key and press TAB continually until you get to the program you want then relase the APPLE key).

Anyway let me know if I can help out anymore.

cheers
Glen
have tryed all those thing's with no luck, don't know what the problem is, just cannot get past the agree or disagree part of the install.

leongt
1st February 2005, 08:37 AM
Well I have just found out what the problem is with my son's Imac , the mac guy I got to have a look at it say's the USB port's are not working as they should and charged me $132 to do so , since it's a old computer that I only paid $300 to start with I mite just get my son a better one off ebay, the Imac's I looked at are going for a song these days, if anyone is intersted in the old one for parts let me know.