PDA

View Full Version : Telstra & iPhone Backflip

decryption
28th June 2007, 04:31 PM
Telstra are interested in the iPhone after all!
http://apcmag.com/6525/telstra_softens_its_iphone_criticism

"Telstra looks forward to reviewing the iPhone as we would all other devices in development."

Is this a good thing or a bad thing, I can't decide :(

hawker
28th June 2007, 04:33 PM
50-50 / bad telstra suck, are over priced and useless... good they're the only company that basically have the infrastructure currently to bring it all to the iphone...

iSlayer
28th June 2007, 04:34 PM

Its as bad as it gets :)

Exocet
28th June 2007, 04:50 PM
Ner ner nee ner ner, I told you so I told you so!

God, I'm so immature haha.

Atomac
28th June 2007, 05:26 PM
I can't believe that IF the iPhone is released here AND Telstra are responsible for it that it will be (a) reasonably priced or (b) well supported.

Kirium
28th June 2007, 05:35 PM
Telstra are interested in the iPhone after all!

An iPhone on Telstra??? I'd rather have bird flu...

:thumbdn:

mechcon
28th June 2007, 05:37 PM
I wont go back to Telstra unless they make their plans competitive price-wise (like to Three or Vodafone's level). I've no problem with their quality of service, its just too much for what I use.

BlowMeDown
28th June 2007, 05:51 PM
I don't think it's Telstra doing a back flip so much as them agreeing that they are the only service providing EDGE technology, which the iPhone uses. Telstra being who they are have stringent approval standards for mobile phones and I guess because Apple are new to this industry they are yet to discover how difficult Telstra are to deal with. That being said I don't think we'll see the iPhone on sale here in Australia early 2008 at all, most likely we will get the revision 2 iPhone 2008/2009.

Al Aero
28th June 2007, 05:54 PM
And this bloke is the Telstra technology chief:

http://apcmag.com/system/files/images/img_gwinn.body-thumbnail.jpg

ROFLMAO!!!

al

Shere Khaan
28th June 2007, 05:54 PM
Exocet, your views intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Exocet
28th June 2007, 06:06 PM
I can't believe that IF the iPhone is released here AND Telstra are responsible for it that it will be (a) reasonably priced or (b) well supported.
$50/month unlimited blackberry data
$30/month unlimited hiptop data, msn, sms and mms.

Both examples of special devices requiring unlimited data to be effective, both of which have excellent support by Telstra. Look around on Whirlpool - Telstra's Wireless Data Customer Support is consistently praised by posters for their product knowledge and willingness to do their best to support customers.

Kuma
28th June 2007, 06:13 PM
they are the only service providing EDGE technology, which the iPhone uses. That being said I don't think we'll see the iPhone on sale here in Australia early 2008 at all, most likely we will get the revision 2 iPhone 2008/2009.

I think EDGE is irrelevant for Aust customers... like you later say.. Rev 2 for Aust. means 3G.

Added that the customer base in Aust is next irrelevant to Apples global ambitions for the iPhone Apple won't particularly care which Aust carrier picks it up...

my money is on either vodafone or optus...

decryption
28th June 2007, 06:22 PM
Whether it's on Telstra or not hinges on if Apple have a 3G iPhone in store for us. If they do, it's anyone's guess as to who will carry it.

If we get what the US has now, there's no doubt it will be Telstra, for the reasons Exocet stated above (only EDGE network, and the same voice mail system as AT&T for easy visual voicemail implementation)

I have no problems using Telstra - their network has the best coverage, that's clear cut. I just hope they don't go overboard on the plan prices.

halledise
28th June 2007, 08:13 PM
i'm with you 'decryption' - the big T has always done the right thing by me & business we are involved in.
our mobile, home & office bills are consistenty lower than they would be with other carriers (having had a brief spell with 'other carriers')

NextG proved to be a tad exe so we went back to gsm and get great coverage here in regional Aust - but then we use phones for phone calls and notebooks for email and internet.
also use a camera for photos.

call me old-fashioned but despite the american management, Telstra is still more Aussie than the rest of them.
:thumbup:

ninja
28th June 2007, 08:53 PM
Telstra suck

morgan
28th June 2007, 09:00 PM
I dont see how Next G is expensive, the call rates I pay now are the same as when I was on CDMA... Telstra has the best coverage of any network, Next G is awesome..

silverdreamer
28th June 2007, 09:39 PM

What Planet are you on?:D

silverdreamer
28th June 2007, 09:46 PM
Okay!, for what it's worth.

I have business dealings with Telstra on a Daily and Nationwide Basis, I deal with regional and State Managers, and my information is very much to the effect that Telstra are, and always have, been very interested in carrying the iphone. Despite what you might read in the Media! :)

Galumay
28th June 2007, 09:49 PM
I dont see how Next G is expensive, the call rates I pay now are the same as when I was on CDMA... Telstra has the best coverage of any network, Next G is awesome..

have you had a look at the competition? i pay a fraction of what tel$tra charge for phone calls.

i also think people were drawing attention to the price gouging tel$tra engage in when charging for data on next G.

Brentnal
28th June 2007, 09:51 PM
Dealing with Telstra's business customer side of things, they are HEAVILY pushing NextG smart-phones at the moment, to the extent they are trying to downplay BlackBerry as it doesn't have a NextG handset, and suggest competitors products.

I could see them very interested in a NextG version of the iPhone, not so sure about the GSM version though.

mini_Matt
28th June 2007, 09:51 PM
Telstra suck

Telstra suck because over the years they have managed to screw so many people out of a buck. But it's not about bashing Telstra and their poor customer service ;)

I think waiting for a 3G iPhone would be the better option considering how fast phone technology is moving at the moment. While Telstra may have the best coverage there are other networks which roam off Telstra and Telstra have also been know to roam off others. It's not so much as who but when I say.

DJY
28th June 2007, 09:54 PM
Doesn't Cingular (now taken over by AT&T) also run a 3G network on 850MHz like Telstra's new Next G?

I think that is our only hope... or if there is no 3G iPhone - then it will also in my opinion based on what I've read have to be Telstra if it is the 2G RevB version.

Telstra does still have the widest coverage...
Telstra does have EDGE
Telstra does have a 3G national network.

Who has the biggest subscriber base? Apple have never shown any interest in Aust... and we are a very small market in their eyes - and thus unless they can easily roll sent iPhone our way - I doubt we've ever see it.
Here is hoping we do though - as I'd buy a 2G or 3G version...
iPhone is probably the only thing that would get me jumping to the Next G network.

BlowMeDown
28th June 2007, 09:55 PM
Come on guys best to quit trashing Telstra here, we don't want another pseudo law suit on our hands again do we ? After all this is not a public forum :D

Silver
3rd July 2007, 12:59 PM
I just noticed something interesting:

The Australian Yellow Pages are owned by Sensis, a subsidiary of Telstra. The Yellow Pages (http://www.yellowpages.com.au/) homepage now lists "Apple stores"
as an example search. Is there anything to be read into that?

mvjs
3rd July 2007, 01:01 PM

The Australian Yellow Pages are owned by Sensis, a subsidiary of Telstra. The Yellow Pages (http://www.yellowpages.com.au/) homepage now lists "Apple stores"

Very interesting, it could be a sign of things to come. Telstra wouldn't be giving an ad for another company if there wasn't reasoning.

pixelperfect
3rd July 2007, 01:17 PM
Very interesting, it could be a sign of things to come. Telstra wouldn't be giving an ad for another company if there wasn't reasoning.

well, apple as a brand right know is pretty hot.

they are name droping a hot brand to get 'street credit'.

Comet
3rd July 2007, 01:26 PM
They use 3G in Japan and the battery life on those phones don't seem bad at all. They even have really thin phones as well. Don't know why Apple is complaining about the 3G chipset.

Anyhow, iPhone on any network in Australia would be great (must have unlimited data on the iPhone though).

Kuma
3rd July 2007, 01:30 PM
They use 3G in Japan and the battery life on those phones don't seem bad at all. They even have really thin phones as well. Don't know why Apple is complaining about the 3G chipset.

I have written a rather lengthy blog post on the iPhone in Japan
it is really still in rough form with not completed thought processes and many incomplete arguments... but if you want to proof read.. and ask any questions or give me ideas.. feel free
http://web.mac.com/shonankuma/iWeb/Straight%20From%20Sapporo/Blog/2E04A750-9C78-4A6C-9674-585F729C93ED.html

tcn33
3rd July 2007, 01:39 PM

That's been there for at least four months (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=28603).

bookmac
3rd July 2007, 01:42 PM
telstra does suck. they should be looking into voda or '3' instead

forgie
3rd July 2007, 02:19 PM
telstra does suck. they should be looking into voda or '3' instead
Hahahaha iPhone on 3.... me thinks not.

Rasta
3rd July 2007, 02:24 PM
well, apple as a brand right know is pretty hot.

they are name droping a hot brand to get 'street credit'.

This is my take on it too...

Silver
3rd July 2007, 02:34 PM
That's been there for at least four months (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=28603).

I suspect that might be the case, but that didn't turn up in a search. Sorry.

tcn33
3rd July 2007, 02:51 PM
Nothing to be sorry about, it's a good catch :)

Shere Khaan
3rd July 2007, 04:52 PM
I don't think you have to worry about unlimited data. I don't see apple signing on with any carrier that won't offer a reasonable unlimited data plan.

I think any carrier will be somewhat surprised and envious of the amount of data revenue being generated even though it is unlimited.

Ben
3rd July 2007, 05:15 PM
Hahahaha iPhone on 3.... me thinks not.
Why not? It would easily be the best network to take advantage of the iPhone's features (but that's only if it's made 3G for us).