PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy out my G5?



Stiff
28th June 2007, 12:17 AM
I searched for a thread about this but didn't find one, please correct me if I missed something.

Recently my parents purchased a 20" iMac to replace one of their PC computers as well as a 17" G5 iMac. The G5 was actually rented through flexirent. It's got a 1.8ghz CPU, 80GB SATA HDD and 768MB of RAM. If I were to buy it out, how much should I offer?

I've also been thinking of purchasing a MacBook. Would my money be better spent on the Macbook that i could get a student discount on? It would probably be mid range one (2.16Ghz white with superdrive). I'm not concerned about the video card in either machine.

There is a few other things I need to think about, however, this is the most important. The money I would expect to pay for the G5 will sway my decision.

Stiff

rocketxr
28th June 2007, 06:02 AM
Hi,
I am pretty sure that Flexirent don't work that way. They will tell you how much it is to buy, which, from memory, was 2 months rental. It is cheaper to buy the equipment if you are taking out another Flexirent agreement at the same time though.
Give them a call and tell them you might be interested in purchasing the equipment and they will tell you what it will cost you.
Cheers
Lee

Devil
28th June 2007, 08:31 AM
You can usually negotiate with them. It's much less hassle for them if you keep the machine. If you get it for the right price, you can sell it for a profit and put that money towards a MacBook!

I don't know how much you should offer but a wild guess would be around $2 - $300 and then sell it for double that.

bennettnz
28th June 2007, 08:59 AM
I Don't think flexirent will offer a realistic price so I would go for the mac book as the technology differences are noticable.

Stiff
28th June 2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'll give them a call.

Stiff