PDA

View Full Version : cmdwedge has folded. I'm buying a Mac.

cmdwedge
27th June 2007, 03:14 PM
Alright, alright. You win. You all win. I'm going to buy a damn Mac.

The biggest Mac hater on the forums wants one, finally. The new MacBook Pro is just astounding, and it's on a par, financially, with the same spec'd Dell/Sony/et al.
So, I've decided upon a new 2.4Ghz MacBook Pro 15" model, as I want the faster video chip for some gaming action. I have asked a couple of questions on OCAU, but I forgot about my fans here on mactalk.com.au! :)

I'll ask a couple of quick questions here - I've more or less had everything cleared up on OCAU (asking about performance of Vista under Parallels, etc). What I'd like to know is -

1. Can I right-click, somehow, with a MBP, without using an external mouse?

2. Is the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse any good? Worth the purchase price?

3. Boot Camp is a free part of OSX, right?

4. Is it worth holding out for Leopard before buying? $200 for an OS upgrade is..
well, a lot. Though it does seem to add a great deal each time that Apple release a 'charged for' version of OSX.

and

5. Can you please stop pointing and laughing. MBP has C2D and Santa Rosa. Apple design + Intel grunt = wedge love. :)

Disko
27th June 2007, 03:17 PM
1. Yep. Tap the trackpad with 2 fingers to do a right click.
2. Blutooth Mightymouse: Its ok. I used mine for a while, but it lags a smidgen.
3. Bootcamp is currently beta for Tiger, and will be included with Leopard. All free/included.
4. I currently am, but who knows how out of date your dreamy macbook pro will be in October.
5. *points* *grins*

mvjs
27th June 2007, 03:25 PM
I'd buy the MacBook Pro now, pay the $199 for Leopard in October. $199 for an OS upgrade is alot? Let's remind ourselves how much a Windows Vista upgrade costs (http://ht.com.au/part/u4506/detail.hts) :cool:

Brains
27th June 2007, 03:26 PM
Don't forget two-finger scroll action ont he trackpad, either -- that's an Apple specialty.

*points, laughs*

Brains

lazydesi
27th June 2007, 03:33 PM
2) I am using bluetooth Mighty mouse on my VAIO and I feel some times its worth for 110$

4) If u can wait upto 1st week of november then its best

lazydesi
27th June 2007, 03:36 PM
and if u want to save some $ wait upto last week of november the weekend after thanksgiving day in US

cmdwedge
27th June 2007, 03:59 PM
Ack. Sounds like I should follow my head (and wait) rather than my heart (and run out to buy a MBP tomorrow!). :)

The positives outweigh the negatives.

Also, is purchasing extra warranty worthwhile? Is it pretty much a given thing to do when buying a Mac?

Thanks for not giving me too rough a time. I promise to behave this time around. And thanks for not banning!! :)

Carcenomy
27th June 2007, 04:01 PM
I'd buy the MacBook Pro now, pay the $199 for Leopard in October. $199 for an OS upgrade is alot? Let's remind ourselves how much a Windows Vista upgrade costs (http://ht.com.au/part/u4506/detail.hts) :cool:

Fairness though, Vista is a one-off purchase, Microsoft won't charge you another $500 within two years... how many paid versions of OS X have been released in XP's lifetime?

ilostmypassword
27th June 2007, 04:02 PM
*mmmuuuhhhahahaha* its all good!

samwalk
27th June 2007, 04:03 PM
If I had finally made the decision to buy a new laptop there is no way I would be waiting until November!

marc
27th June 2007, 04:05 PM
Fairness though, Vista is a one-off purchase, Microsoft won't charge you another $500 within two years... how many paid versions of OS X have been released in XP's lifetime?
I'd be looking at the difference in the upgrades, not the timing.

Leopard is worth the $199, as was Tiger.

Carcenomy
27th June 2007, 04:16 PM
True, but for someone like myself running XP, is there enough difference in Vista to justify the 500 to upgrade? Well there's certainly some big benefits, and on a machine like my C2D, it runs nice, but I don't know that I'll be upgrading until I need DX10. Even so, it IS a huge leap forward - so it should be, being six years after XP :) OS X seems to be more like big steps forward for a lower upgrade price versus sweeping changes for a high price like Microsoft go for.

That said, most Mac buyers aren't buying Apple solely for the operating system...

Anyways, enough OT from me. I say bide your time - it's not just Apple you need to watch these days, you need to keep an eye on what Intel's up to, there's some pretty slick new technologies waiting in the wings that I'm sure Apple will adopt sooner rather than later.

cmdwedge
27th June 2007, 04:18 PM
Ooh and one other question - can you upgrade the optical drive if a new one comes out? Whether it's via Apple or via a screwdriver and an online guide?

Say, for instance, that the next MBP has Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Could I upgrade the drive, or is it welded in there?

mvjs
27th June 2007, 04:22 PM

Actually, they are: Windows Vienna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_%22Vienna%22) is scheduled for release in 2009. It anything, they'll bump up the pricing.

Say your using 10.0, you can upgrade that to Leopard, for $199. No one forced you to buy every OS upgrade. I think the difference between 10.0 and 10.5 is as significant as XP to Vista.

decryption
27th June 2007, 04:23 PM
Ooh and one other question - can you upgrade the optical drive if a new one comes out? Whether it's via Apple or via a screwdriver and an online guide?

Say, for instance, that the next MBP has Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Could I upgrade the drive, or is it welded in there?

Apple deliberately encases all their computers in radioactive asbestos. So opening any Mac will be of GRAVE danger to your health. Apple just hate you doing things on your computer without their knowledge. They will disable the radioactiveness of the Mac if you pay them a $99 fee (once a year) however.

Seriously though: the MBP is just like every other laptop. Open the case, see if the drive fits and it'll work

cmdwedge
27th June 2007, 04:29 PM
Apple deliberately encases all their computers in radioactive asbestos. So opening any Mac will be of GRAVE danger to your health. Apple just hate you doing things on your computer without their knowledge. They will disable the radioactiveness of the Mac if you pay them a $99 fee (once a year) however.

Seriously though: the MBP is just like every other laptop. Open the case, see if the drive fits and it'll work

All tomfoolery aside - has anyone, ever, been able to upgrade an optical drive in a MB or MBP? I'm looking at the pics.. there's a little slot there, so I imagine that the guys behind the slot is independent.

iSlayer
27th June 2007, 04:31 PM
All tomfoolery aside - has anyone, ever, been able to upgrade an optical drive in a MB or MBP? I'm looking at the pics.. there's a little slot there, so I imagine that the guys behind the slot is independent.

you can replace them aslong as you get the right size drive.

toholio
27th June 2007, 04:32 PM

Well, it's not welded in there but it is all incredibly snug inside the case. Google for internal pictures of the Mac Book Pro to get some kind of idea what would be involved. Apple's laptops are no worse than any other manufacturers when it comes to this kind of thing, with the exception of the very few models designed with upgrades in mind. Every easily "upgraded" laptop I've personally seen has been bulky, ugly and poorly built though.

IMHO, by the time the whole Blu-Ray and HD-DVD thing has played out it'll be time for a completely new machine anyway. :p I just hope HD-DVD wins so we don't have to endure region codes for another generation of media. :mad:

Carcenomy
27th June 2007, 04:34 PM
Actually, they are: Windows Vienna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_%22Vienna%22) is scheduled for release in 2009. It anything, they'll bump up the pricing.

Say your using 10.0, you can upgrade that to Leopard, for $199. No one forced you to buy every OS upgrade. I think the difference between 10.0 and 10.5 is as significant as XP to Vista.

That article states it right - it's hearsay on a future product, which by definition sounds like its intended as a workstation/server solution like Windows 2000, not as an XP/Vista end-user solution.

But yes, the difference between the original OS X and Leopard is as significant as XP to Vista.

I wouldn't mind a nice MBP myself, but they're just not as classy as the Clammie :)

As for the optical drives etc - most notebook sized drives are built within specific dimensions, so chances are upgraded drives will follow those standards, and shouldn't be too hard to fit, or at least modify to fit.

decryption
27th June 2007, 04:35 PM

Well behind that slot is your bog standard slot-loading optical drive with a SATA connection.

Take a look at this:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/hardwareandnews/mbp1520/mbp1520-Pages/Image18.html

If you can get a replacement drive that's the same physical size, it will work fine. Obviously, not any laptop drive will do. Most are thicker than the one Apple uses (in order to make the MBP so slim) and other ones may be wider, or longer than the space Apple has set aside for an optical drive.

To say it is upgradeable would be misleading (it's not exactly a piece of pie - look at all dem screws). But to say it can't be replaced would be wrong. I guess this is the same for any other reasonably sized laptop.

Carcenomy
27th June 2007, 04:37 PM
Nothing's impossible to modify ;)

sanjay
27th June 2007, 06:00 PM

Hmm

i think the update from 10.0 to 10.5 is MUCH bigger than that from XP to vista, more like windows ME to vista :-)

with regards to buying a mac - yeah i know, bought my first new mac last week (macbook) - and im absolutely hooked...:D typing this post on it now when i should be studying. god this keyboard is just wonderful.

nonetheless, wait for the next next byte fire sale - i got this macbook for $899 from them and their last fire sale saw core duo macbook pros falling out the door for $1499 (might get one of these next fire sale if im quick enough, thats how hooked on OS X i am).

oh and the two finger tap for right click and two finger scroll is just...how shall i put it...genius? would have been nice to have a physical right click button for those times you want to right click and drag however.

- Sanjay

silverdreamer
27th June 2007, 06:18 PM
[QUOTE=cmdwedge;316063]

Also, is purchasing extra warranty worthwhile? Is it pretty much a given thing to do when buying a Mac?

Buy it now, upgrade later, and go with the Applecare protection plan.

Enjoy!:)

My 2 bob's worth:p
P.S, Thanks to this thread I have discovered my two finger trackpad Tap!...Cool:cool:

Brains
27th June 2007, 06:24 PM

Not so, deccy -- whilst the formfactor is generic, the configuation is not. All laptop-style optical drives ship from the factory hard-wired to Cable Select. Apple get their delivered set to Master. if you're dapper with an SMD or very fine tip solder-station, you can move the zero-ohm resistor SMD jumper to Master yourself, before fitting it.

if the optical drive is not set to Master, you can't boot from it. it'll still read, but you won't ever be able to install OSX again.

Wedgy, a few companies do sell extra bits and more-features part for Apple laptops; the best place for the DIY dude is iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com), their collection of online pictorial guides are excellent, and always kept up to date.

Brains

marc
27th June 2007, 06:28 PM
P.S, Thanks to this thread I have discovered my two finger trackpad Tap!...Cool:cool:
Do you know about 2 finger click for right click?

silverdreamer
27th June 2007, 07:32 PM
Do you know about 2 finger click for right click?

"tis what I meant!:p