PDA

View Full Version : How do you connect to the internet?

the_argon
16th March 2004, 09:34 PM
I am currently on dialup, but have recently applied for 512k ADSL and received the 'status confirmed service as deliverable' message. Hopefully it will be up and running by the weekend.

Whats your current connection method?

Shawry
16th March 2004, 09:37 PM
OptusNet Cable all the way baby! woo hoo it flies!!!.....
I cant go back to dialup, it destorys the whole internet experience!

decryption
16th March 2004, 10:30 PM
512/128 Internode Flatrate ADSL, been with Internode now for a year, great service and the best ISP I have used (and I've used plenty).
And no, this isn't a back pat because we want Internode to host our site, it's because Internode is truly a great ISP, nay, company, and anyone who has dealt with them will back me up on that!

LCGuy
16th March 2004, 10:47 PM
campus T1 line. B)

jameso
17th March 2004, 06:59 AM
512/128

netspace

jameso

pipsqeek
17th March 2004, 07:21 AM
I'm with Swiftdsl (256/64 - which is plenty for me to download .pdf and general email, chat and messaging) since November 2003.

When they use to be good.

They grew too quickly and now the quality of the service and the connection have suffered.

They had also been overcharging me for a few months, didn't realise till I received my credit card statement. Got a refund for the extra money.

I have a friend with Internode, on the 1500 unlimited plan, I like visiting with my iBook :D

Steve

Byrd
17th March 2004, 07:43 AM
56K here :( It's getting to me ... I'm waiting for Alphalink wireless to hit my area. Seems the cheapest away to acquire broadband for me.

JB

Jimbo
17th March 2004, 08:59 AM
Got a 512/128 vdsl line, into my ipcop box then to our switch, its great downloading stuf at >50ksec i also recommend ipcop its a free linux distro that has been completley stripped down, it only needs like a pentium 100 to work so if you're thinking of putting together a simple linux firewall/router then its for you www.ipcop.org (its the new modified version of smoothwall)

vort
17th March 2004, 10:08 AM
Optus Cable :) Bloody fast!

the_argon
17th March 2004, 06:41 PM
Got activated today (woohoo!)

I am now on Internode 512k ADSL :)

Byrd
17th March 2004, 08:24 PM
Lucky buggers - didn't know so many ATA users were not on broadband :( Alphalink wireless won't hit my area for some time (owing to me living in a fairly high part of Melbourne - ?), so I'm looking into unlimited TPG 256K ADSL for $50/month. Anyone with them?

JB

Currawong
17th March 2004, 08:26 PM
Internode 1500 Orange plan. Definitely the best ISP, and probably the best company I've ever dealt with.

Velociraptors
17th March 2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by the_argon@Mar 16 2004, 09:34 PM
I am currently on dialup, but have recently applied for 512k ADSL and received the 'status confirmed service as deliverable' message. Hopefully it will be up and running by the weekend.

Whats your current connection method?
Internode here too, 512/512 dsl - I was on 256/64 for 18 months before changing up.

It's lovely =)

dana

TAK
18th March 2004, 11:03 AM
Well, im in Canada, so compared to Australia connectivity is much better here, and the whole internet market isnt controlled by only by 1 company like for you guys.

I got 1.5mbps/512kbps ul (though, my upload strangely feels like 384kbps, so i got to get that figured out with my ISP)

I might upgrade to 2.5mbps for a extra little punch.

I feel sorry for you guys because you have to pay so much for your internet and you get way slower speeds then in North Ameria :(

Radar
18th March 2004, 01:20 PM
iiNet 1500/512 here

PeterPE
18th March 2004, 03:22 PM
BigPong ADSL 512/128 2GB cap.

Ya know what's wrong with BigPong? The upload component is charged, it's part of the monthly allowance. Aarrgghhh....

codeman
18th March 2004, 07:11 PM
I'm on 56k dialup atm, but I'm relocating soon (next couple months) to China, to start my new job :)

Then, I shall have broadband, no idea what speed though (a friend there pulls like 2megabit I think, and I imagine at work it'll be faster still. Oh, and no download limits....)

BigPond is evil. A mate of mine churned to node the other day, same price ($60/month), but they went up to 512/128 line speed and 12gb downloads, from 256/64 and 500mb...

-- codeman

elvis
19th March 2004, 12:17 PM
At work we're on 2000/2000 fibre. Extremely low latency is very tasty.

Home is 512/128 DSL through iiNet. Nice, but it can get slow when the girlfriend and I are both hammering it (particulary when I'm trying to access home from work, or vice versa). There's a smoothwall box at the front of my home network, so all the machines inside (Mac/Linux/Windows) have web access. I got my whole house wired up when I renovated last year, so there's plenty of data points. The next step is wireless and an 802.11g iBook just for yum.

I have a VPN between my place (Brisbane) and my best mate (Rockhampton) which is neat. iiNet to iiNet means data transfer isn't counted. Using that we can share files, video chat, play LAN games, etc all at no cost. Again, the 128k upstream can get a bit slow, but it's better than a stick in the eye.

The problem with all of this is I have become so dependant on the web it's not funny. I find it almost difficult now to go out to a client without web access and actually get any work done. (Carrying 50 CDs of patches and updates is a pain).

Bring on free nation-wide 11mbit/s wireless DSL, I say! Parts of Europe and the US are doing it successfully. All info is tunnelled over individual VPN connections which means it's secure and sensible.

pipsqeek
19th March 2004, 03:51 PM
I hate the internet technology and how its being pushed (or lack them of) here is Aus.

Steve

mhollis
10th April 2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by elvis@Mar 19 2004, 12:17 PM
Bring on free nation-wide 11mbit/s wireless DSL, I say! Parts of Europe and the US are doing it successfully. All info is tunnelled over individual VPN connections which means it's secure and sensible.
well, not everyone does vpn when out on the streets.

But This website (http://www.nodedb.com/unitedstates/) could come in very handy if you are within the United States or travelling here. The site is frequently updated and lots of public-spirited individuals are doing their darndest to provide free access.

Unfortunately, that generally means that someone is paying for the access, and it's usually the person with the Internet hookup.

the_argon
10th April 2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by elvis@Mar 19 2004, 11:47 AM
http://www.citilan.com.au <- We have it in Adelaide :)

http://www.agile.com.au/data/dsl.htm

stickman67
10th April 2004, 12:30 PM
Just about to go on ADSL (I hope&#33;) -- surprised it managed to make it out this far, but v. happy&#33; -- but for now on dialup.

Thankfully I&#39;ve never surfed on broadband before, so I don&#39;t know what I&#39;m missing and find 56K alright.

Looking forward to hitting overdrive, though. :D

PeterPE
10th April 2004, 01:12 PM
Mr Stick, you will never want to go back to dial-up after using broadband. It&#39;s 24/7 my mail.app and Safari are connected. In fact, all my 11 Macs and PCs are connected 24/7. Fortunately, they&#39;re not always powered up – to do so would exaggerate my electricity bill. Permanently connected behind a NAT server and hardware firewall, no intrusion events have ever occurred. Love it.

decryption
10th April 2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by PeterPE@Mar 18 2004, 04:22 PM
Can&#39;t you get any other ISPs for ADSL in your area Peter? :(

PeterPE
10th April 2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by decryption+Apr 10 2004, 02:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (decryption @ Apr 10 2004, 02:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PeterPE@Mar 18 2004, 04:22 PM
Can&#39;t you get any other ISPs for ADSL in your area Peter? :( [/b][/quote]
I believe I can – there&#39;s probably a good dozen or so that now do regional areas. I guess, for me, it&#39;s better the devil you know than...

I&#39;m thinking the market, and the ACCC, will force Telstra&#39;s prices down but I&#39;m not holding my breath. Suffice it to say, I&#39;m gunna churn before this year is out.

Yes, BigPong is very expensive; yes, it charges for uploads; and yes, it has a recent history of serious service interruptions. There&#39;s not a lot that is good about BigPong.

I&#39;m leaning toward Internode.

LCGuy
10th April 2004, 04:35 PM
Well right now i&#39;m at home on Smellstra Bigpong dialup. :(

codeman
10th April 2004, 06:51 PM
i got neighborhood cable the other day - think of it as a fast version of telstra adsl (ie" not good)

but i&#39;m leaving the country in less than a month so i can live with it and it&#39;s tiny DL limits

decryption
10th April 2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by PeterPE+Apr 10 2004, 02:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PeterPE @ Apr 10 2004, 02:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by decryption@Apr 10 2004, 02:40 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-PeterPE@Mar 18 2004, 04:22 PM
I believe I can – there&#39;s probably a good dozen or so that now do regional areas. I guess, for me, it&#39;s better the devil you know than...

I&#39;m thinking the market, and the ACCC, will force Telstra&#39;s prices down but I&#39;m not holding my breath. Suffice it to say, I&#39;m gunna churn before this year is out.

Yes, BigPong is very expensive; yes, it charges for uploads; and yes, it has a recent history of serious service interruptions. There&#39;s not a lot that is good about BigPong.

I&#39;m leaning toward Internode. [/b][/quote]
Do you have a contract that makes you pay out a big sum if you break it off?
Why did you get Telstra ADSL in the first place? :P

Crambo
10th April 2004, 07:50 PM
Surely you could switch within Telstra to one of their "unlimited" plans, or isn&#39;t this possible, Peter?

Currawong
10th April 2004, 08:49 PM
I&#39;d suggesting leaving Telstra all together. Forget even their "ulimited" plans which aren&#39;t unlimited.

Crambo
11th April 2004, 02:21 AM
Yeah, hence the quotation, even lovely Internode use unlimited but concede to its altered definition by demand of the market, the reason however for suggesting he move to a plan within Telstra itself is purely because he may be locked in to a contract, however still allowed to shift between. I&#39;m sure you meant "be", also.

stickman67
11th April 2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by PeterPE+Apr 10 2004, 01:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PeterPE &#064; Apr 10 2004, 01:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by decryption@Apr 10 2004, 02:40 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-PeterPE@Mar 18 2004, 04:22 PM

I&#39;m leaning toward Internode. [/b][/quote]
I&#39;m with Peter on this one, at least for now.

I&#39;m going with Bigpond because they&#39;ve finally provided a plan that allows unlimited downloads, instead of charging per MB for overlimit (instead of reducing your speed, like every other b*gger seems to do these days).

I&#39;m working on the same sort of rationale as Peter. First, devil you know. Second, they own the infrastructure, so I&#39;m dealing directly with the devil if something goes wrong.

I know, I know. Very spurious logic in many ways, but I&#39;m way out west here, and its just quick and easy to go with Bigpond. And to give them their dues, they&#39;ve been a great ISP while ever I&#39;ve been with them. I don&#39;t know if they&#39;re the best or the worst out there, but I&#39;ve had a positive experience with them. B)

stickman67
11th April 2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Crambo@Apr 11 2004, 02:21 AM
Yeah, hence the quotation, even lovely Internode use unlimited but concede to its altered definition by demand of the market, the reason however for suggesting he move to a plan within Telstra itself is purely because he may be locked in to a contract, however still allowed to shift between. I&#39;m sure you meant "be", also.
According to the Bigpond rep I spoke to last week, you can switch between plans within the contract period.

The example he gave me was that if I&#39;m on a &#036;59.95/month unlimited plan (which I soon hope to be) and I know I&#39;m going to be away for a month, I can switch to the &#036;29.95 plan for that month, when I know my usage is going to be low or nonexistent, and then back to the unlimited plan after that.

If that&#39;s true, and I&#39;ve no reason (yet&#33;) to suspect it isn&#39;t, then people on plans with a MB limit who are exceeding that limit regularly would certainly benefit from looking at these new unlimited plans. B)

PeterPE
11th April 2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Currawong@Apr 10 2004, 09:49 PM
I&#39;d suggesting leaving Telstra all together. Forget even their "ulimited" plans which aren&#39;t unlimited.
Telstra&#39;s &#39;unlimited&#39; plan? It&#39;s another &#036;10pm that I druther spend on something else. Besides, my usage is never much greater than 1GB so a 2GB cap is okay by me. Only this month, I switched to the 2GB plan as it is about &#036;5 cheaper than my discontinued 1GB plan. I would have been on the 1GB plan forever because Telstra never bothered to tell me that I could save 5 bux and double my allowance.

Why did I start my broadband experience with Bigpong? It was the only game in town, being as I reside in a rural location. No choice. Choices have since improved.

And, no, I&#39;m no longer on contract as that 18 month term has finished. I&#39;m free to churn. And churn I will. I have no reason to hurry. But it will happen.

I will move because, (1) BigPong is too expensive; (2) BigPong&#39;s continuity has been appalling; and (3) BigPong has started sending me a lot of spam and want to charge me extra to stop doing it (seems like extortion to me).

But no... most days Bigpong ADSL is not too bad, just expensive.

elvis
23rd April 2004, 07:13 AM
Well, I just upgraded to 1500 kbit/s DSL today. And man, does it make a difference.

Adios 512k&#33; I&#39;d like to say it was fun, but I&#39;d be lying. :)

Astrobuoy
23rd April 2004, 07:14 PM
Really? You finally did the change? I rang up iiNet today to change the address on my connection (No internet for 7-10 working days&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Wahhhhh&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;). The guy was asking me if I wanted to do the upgrade and I was so tempted......

LCGuy
23rd April 2004, 11:34 PM
Kewl&#33; ............ (Sorry i just got back fro a party and i&#39;m nice and drunk...........

elvis
24th April 2004, 11:29 PM
Yeah. iiNet with iiPhone is now &#036;79/month for 1500lite (5GB+5GB).. That&#39;s the same price I was paying 2 months ago for 512+ (16GB+16GB).

10GB all up per month is heaps for me at the moment. I&#39;d much prefer some serious speed over massive download limits. Plus iiNet has so many free mirrors for all my Linux stuff it doesn&#39;t really matter.

1500 kbps is a hell of a lot nicer to download a fresh Debian install from than 512 was, I can tell you now&#33; :)

sillydog701
25th April 2004, 01:05 AM
Swiftel (Swifdsl)&#39;s old 512 ADSL plan.
I am still paying the same rate as I had only 7GB traffic, now 16GB.
(They know how to keep old customers happy.)

elvis
25th April 2004, 09:59 PM
Most of your half-decent ISPs around Australia (iiNet, swiftel, internode, etc) are smart enough to realise that customers will wander if better plans are out there. When I started with iiNet I was on 6GB onpeak plus 6GB offpeak, giving me 12 all up. Last month this had risen to 16/16 (32 all up) without me paying a cent. To me, that is bloody terrific customer service, and these ISPs should be recognised for it.

The only two things that held me back from 1500 were the price and the download limits (basically speaking, still the price as you gets what you pays for). With the recent drop in pricing and the slow increase in download limits, 1500 crept into what I consider affordable. That, and the amount I use the web as I start to do more and more business from home means that faster downloads mean less frustration for me as I try to patch yet another Windows box full of viruses and adware. :)

InfiniteAnthony
27th April 2004, 07:57 AM
Infinite Networks 512/128k at home. Flat rate downloads, 50gig full speed downloads and then I MAY be shaped after that. Gives me a set limit I know I can download too and then after that I might be shaped after that. Haven&#39;t been shaped yet. :o ;)

Its really good but i am biased B) :P

Price drop next month. ;)

decryption
27th April 2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Xedos@Apr 27 2004, 08:57 AM
Infinite Networks 512/128k at home. Flat rate downloads, 50gig full speed downloads and then I MAY be shaped after that. Gives me a set limit I know I can download too and then after that I might be shaped after that. Haven&#39;t been shaped yet. :o ;)

Its really good but i am biased B) :P

Price drop next month. ;)
I didn&#39;t know you guys offer broadband :D

I&#39;m in the market for a new ADSL plan for when I move out of home next month, which, happens to coincide with your price drops... I was going to go with Internodes 512/128 plan with 32gb of data per month and 56k shaping after that for &#036;80/month.

What sort of infrastructure do you have at Infinite? Do you have good speeds during peak hour? Why should I give you my money rather than a proven, reliable ISP such as Internode who I have been a customer with for a year and had no problems at all? :P

(haha, I just realised, your name is Anthony, just like mine :P)

InfiniteAnthony
27th April 2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Apr 27 2004, 12:45 AM
I didn&#39;t know you guys offer broadband :D

I&#39;m in the market for a new ADSL plan for when I move out of home next month, which, happens to coincide with your price drops... I was going to go with Internodes 512/128 plan with 32gb of data per month and 56k shaping after that for &#036;80/month.

What sort of infrastructure do you have at Infinite? Do you have good speeds during peak hour? Why should I give you my money rather than a proven, reliable ISP such as Internode who I have been a customer with for a year and had no problems at all? :P

(haha, I just realised, your name is Anthony, just like mine :P)
The price drop will hopefully be around &#036;85-&#036;89 for flat rate downloads. Full speed until 60gig (Currently 50gig) then you MAY be prioritised or shaped (Shaping at 128/64k). We haven’t had the need to prioritise/shape anyone to this day. This gives our users a clear limit of when their connection will be affected and gives us the ISP the ability to slow users who abuse their connection. :)

We have found our speeds are rarely affected during peak times as we have 50/50 business/residential clients, which provides a good contention ratio. :o

All our services run on top end Cisco equipment and Dell PowerEdge servers in AAPT’s data centre in Canberra City, so you can be sure we haven’t just stuffed a Linux box in the corner of our office. :lol:

To your answer about internode. We offer larger limits and as we are a small ISP we offer a excellent customer service and are quick to help our clients. Also we like macs&#33; :) :blink: