PDA

View Full Version : WinXP: reinstalling IE6

mwot
26th June 2007, 11:36 AM
i can't stand IE7. it's ungainly, ugly, runs like a dog - a dead one at that - it's icon buttons have all the symetrical arrangements of a Picasso and the menues are hidden!

that said, IE6 isn't much different ... o.0

... but better the devil you know.

unfortunately, after uninstalling IE7 and re-downloading IE6 from the MS website, IE6 refuses to install, citing: "Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system. Setup cannot continue."

how can i get IE6 reinstalled?

mechcon
26th June 2007, 11:40 AM
as far as I know, you will need to reinstall XP to do that.

purana
26th June 2007, 11:40 AM
Research... (google fu skills)

Here I actually did it for you... click here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177).

purana
26th June 2007, 11:41 AM
as far as I know, you will need to reinstall XP to do that.

Not true, according the Microsoft Knowledge Article I posted above.

cgollner
26th June 2007, 12:22 PM
Not true, according the Microsoft Knowledge Article I posted above.

Yes. But do you trust an MS uninstall to really uninstall *everything* that it installed. Never seen a true uninstall yet.

You'll soon know if IE6 is acting odd, as opposed to how it was working prior to putting IE7 on.

purana
26th June 2007, 12:43 PM
Yes. But do you trust an MS uninstall to really uninstall *everything* that it installed. Never seen a true uninstall yet.

You'll soon know if IE6 is acting odd, as opposed to how it was working prior to putting IE7 on.

As much as we loath Microsoft, I am sure the document exists still cause it has a higher degree of working, rather then not working.

It certainly is a better way to try first, rather then doing a reinstall as suggested. I'd consider a reinstall as a last ditch effort.

mwot
26th June 2007, 12:56 PM

... like IE now hanging altogether and refusing to boot??

thanks for the link, Purana. followed method two, but IE ain't happy.

interesting KB article ... i would have thought that uninstalling an application would remove it completely from the system, not revert to the previous version as the article specifies.

purana
26th June 2007, 01:06 PM
Of course since we are talking IE, that's why removing IE7 reverts to IE6 (as IE is part of the operating system in so many respects).

For a normal application, removal is removal. It's gone (not revert to previous).

EDIT: typo

Byrd
26th June 2007, 01:49 PM
Of course the question that arises is: why IE6? Without fail, regardless of a good virus scanner, you will get spyware/malware affecting your PC, within time, running this as your primary browser! At least IE7 is a bit better handling these sorts of problems.

Running XP SP2 I've not had any problems viewing websites (nor spyware problems) with Firefox 2.0.0.4.

JB

mwot
26th June 2007, 01:49 PM
ah well ... either way, it looks like it's completely buggered and just hangs.

reinstall is not really an option ... this is an office machine. only reason i need IE is because the most of the intranet pages are built specifically for IE, so Firefox doesn't work on some of them. really bugs the heck out of me. i honestly can't stand IE at all.

guess i'll have to call the h-h-help desk.

i blame installing LiveMeeting ... everything was working fine up until i installed that mid-last week.

purana
26th June 2007, 02:05 PM
Our work SOE doesn't include IE7 and we've been told not to install it. Since it's not supported on the SOE build. Which is ideal, since I hate IE7 anyways and have no reason to install it.

So you just broke your SOE machine... just make sure the helpdesk don't know you broke it. They might hang you out to dry.

mwot
26th June 2007, 02:25 PM
lol, yay!

won't be the first time i've been hung out to dry ... heh.