PDA

View Full Version : Macbook to TV?

en.elle
25th June 2007, 08:09 PM
If I want to connect my macbook to a TV (watching videos etc) whats the best way to do it?

decryption
25th June 2007, 08:13 PM
Use the Mini-DVI to RCA adaptor and you'er done :)

If your TV has DVI input, just use a Mini-DVI to DVI cable for even better quality.

gameon
25th June 2007, 08:13 PM
if your tv has dvi or hdmi that would be the best input to use
a mini dvi to dvi adapter into the macbook and then cable into the tv

its what i use and it works great

en.elle
25th June 2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately my TV is quite a few years old and doesn't have DVI input :(

Wheres the best place to get mini-dvi to RCA?

decryption
25th June 2007, 08:19 PM
Apple resellers - I've never seen any 3rd party ones, just the ones Apple sells. It's $35 :)

en.elle
25th June 2007, 08:21 PM
ohh alright. Thanks for the info decryption :thumbup: :)

Huy
25th June 2007, 08:53 PM
Great thread. I was looking to do this myself and have always wondered. Thanks en.elle :)

jeremy_warnock
25th June 2007, 09:10 PM
does your tv support super vhs? Apple sell a minidvi to super vhs this adapter also has the yellow - video put for your rca plugs you can then get a 3mm (i think thats right) headphone socket to rca for the sound because you dont want to relay on the macbook speakers.

Until recently this is how I attached my macbook, from the minidvi to vhs and then I had a tosh link adapter to the optical audio out.

http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/australiastore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E0F6&nplm=M9319G/A

Since i have just bought a new tv I can now use the minidvi to vga however Im looking at getting one of apples minidvis to dvi-d and the a dvi-d to hdmi cable

InsanelyGreat
25th June 2007, 10:12 PM
Very helpful thread:) What would be the best way to connect a MB to a TV with VGA and HDMI? Also, would an adapter be required to go from DVI to HDMI?

en.elle
25th June 2007, 10:40 PM
Great thread. I was looking to do this myself and have always wondered. Thanks en.elle :)

Yeah I did a quick search here on mactalk but didn't find any threads so thought I'd just ask myself haha :thumbup:

decryption
25th June 2007, 10:43 PM
Very helpful thread:) What would be the best way to connect a MB to a TV with VGA and HDMI? Also, would an adapter be required to go from DVI to HDMI?

If the TV has HDMI, don't bother with VGA, the HDMI connection is better quality.

Get the Mini-DVI to DVI connector from Apple, then any DVI to HDMI cable :)

grfxninja
25th June 2007, 11:01 PM
I bought a DVI to HDMI cable for use with my Macbook Pro (don't know if it is the same connection as the Macbook) from WOW Sight n Sound for about $70. Works a treat but I still needed a separate audio cable from the Macbook Pro Audio out to TV Audio in