PDA

View Full Version : iStat menus, clock formats; Network AirPort Signal Strength

macnaught
25th June 2007, 01:51 PM
Greetings

Some feedback on the very tasty iStat menus:

1. Date & Time Formats

I have removed the Apple-supplied menubar clock and replaced it with the clock iStat menus clock.

I have always preferred to use the 24 hour clock format, which I've configured in System Prefs > International > Formats. I notice that iStat menus > Date & Time has its own "Use 24-hour clock" setting. Why not just program iStat menus to respect my International > Formats prefs?

I have also added several clocks for cities around the world, but they always show in the 12-hour, AM/PM format, even ignoring the "Use 24-hour clock" in iStat menus. Again, I'd like to see iStat menus clocks simply respect my system-wide International > Formats settings.

2. AirPort Signal Strength Indicator

I have enabled iStat menus > Network. I primarily use a wireless network, and assumed that the AirPort signal strength indicator (the "fan" icon) that appears when I click on the Throughput menu indicators would actually reflect the wireless signal strength, just like the Apple-included AirPort menu icon does. Alas, it does not.

The icon resources appear to be there, in ~/Application Support/iStat menus/iStatMenusCore.bundle/Contents/Resources/. Is there something broke on my installation, or can others reproduce what I'm seeing?

Regards

Ben.

iSlayer
25th June 2007, 02:07 PM
Why not just program iStat menus to respect my International > Formats prefs?

We decided to use our own to make it more obvious where the controls are. Since we have some other controls it seemed like it would be a bit of a pain to have some in ours and some in apples pane.

2. AirPort Signal Strength Indicator

At this stage we dont support showing the signal strength in the network extra. The api's for airport info are private which makes working with it very hard.

Jivec
3rd July 2007, 04:22 PM
It would be fantastic (at least for me), if you could make an option to allow us to use international formats preferences because i like to add spaces and separators to my clock.

It would also be good if the calender functions were improved

and as said above everyone would love it if you created an airport strength indicator which include information if networks were open or not.

iSlayer
3rd July 2007, 04:35 PM
It would be fantastic (at least for me), if you could make an option to allow us to use international formats preferences because i like to add spaces and separators to my clock.

Ok we will see what we can do for version 1.1 :)

marc
3rd July 2007, 04:39 PM
I have also added several clocks for cities around the world, but they always show in the 12-hour, AM/PM format, even ignoring the "Use 24-hour clock" in iStat menus. Again, I'd like to see iStat menus clocks simply respect my system-wide International > Formats settings.
That's definitely something we intend to fix in the next release.

We'll almost certainly add some more flexibility in the future. Not sure exactly how yet.

It would also be good if the calender functions were improved.
We'll definitely work on these as well... the calendar has been surprisingly popular.

and as said above everyone would love it if you created an airport strength indicator which include information if networks were open or not.
As iSlayer's said... we'll only really do this if we can get it right, and make it a fair bit better than Apple's. Same goes for a battery extra :)

Jivec
5th July 2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks for replying,

Another idea is mail.app notificatoin

adriel
9th July 2007, 02:53 PM
And I would love to have a graph like thing pop down from the "network" menu and now the history of the activity there, like you have done with the "CPU" and "RAM" menus.

iSlayer
9th July 2007, 03:32 PM
And I would love to have a graph like thing pop down from the "network" menu and now the history of the activity there, like you have done with the "CPU" and "RAM" menus.

we dont have any plans to have graphs there just yet.It may happen at some point but wont be just yet.

adriel
9th July 2007, 03:36 PM
we dont have any plans to have graphs there just yet.It may happen at some point but wont be just yet.

oh ok, thanks for the fast reply :)

Kingupin
5th September 2007, 08:41 AM
Good evening everybody,

I use your great app in the 24hour format and noticed an interesting behaviour when a new day begins:

http://pilot-o-rama.de/test/24hrs.jpg

The Apple version should be the correct time display. Or is it intentional?

Regards from Germany

Kingupin

iSlayer
5th September 2007, 08:48 AM
It's a bug in iStat menus. Will be fixed in the next update.

Kingupin
5th September 2007, 09:33 AM
Wow, that was quick! Thank you for the reply.

May we hope for a german localization with the next update? I would volunteer as a translator.

Regards,
Kingupin

iSlayer
5th September 2007, 09:36 AM
We wont be doing any localizations just yet. But it will happen eventually.
Thanks for the offer anyway