PDA

View Full Version : A whole lotta kernel panics

TeeZed
25th June 2007, 09:25 AM
I have a MB C2D 2 GHz and just in the past few days I have started to get many kernel panics (KPs). Ive had about 10 KPs in the last week... but not one before that.

Ive reinstalled OS 10.4, have everything updated, ran several (successful) hardware tests, got rid of Safari 3, repaired permissions but I dont seem to be improving the situation.

Not every time is the panic.log the same... but I have nfi what the stuff in the panic.log means. I read on other forums that MBs can have problems with Airport drivers? But i dont know why this would all of a sudden become a problem for me..
The arrival of my KPs didnt seem to coincide with 10.4.10 or Safari 3 or 3.02.

Anyone got any other diagnostic or helpful ideas i can try?

iSlayer
25th June 2007, 09:32 AM
Any 3rd party hardware or software that was connected/running each time ?

TeeZed
25th June 2007, 09:37 AM
Nothing ... I cant see any link between the software that is open and the KPs occurring.
But Im always using wireless internet when it happens ... i get KPs with Safari and FireFox

iSlayer
25th June 2007, 09:42 AM
Are you using WPA on your wireless router ?
And what brand/model is it ?

TeeZed
25th June 2007, 09:57 AM
Im using WEP on my 2Wire wireless router.
The model number is 2701HG-B ...

iSlayer
25th June 2007, 10:00 AM
There seems to be issues with apples drivers and WPA on some routers. Not sure if there are issues with WEP aswell but id try disabling it and see if you still get the panics

Currawong
25th June 2007, 10:56 AM
KP's are usually hardware related, so posting one here might help spot what's borked, but otherwise it's process of elimination to figure it out.

TeeZed
25th June 2007, 11:26 AM
I changed the settings on my router from WEP to WPA2 for no other reason than to see what happens

stewiesno1
25th June 2007, 11:38 AM
Is it all original Apple -certified Ram that came with the PB or has the memory been updated at some stage? I know you have done a hardware test , but download one of the free memory tester utilities and run that.They seem to pick up anomalies in the chips that the Apple Hardware test does not. Takes a fair while to run , so be patient. It does stress the Ram chips so is a pretty good indicator of whether they are up to the task though.Either that or open 'er up and take out one of the Ram chips and see how it runs then.
Stewie

TeeZed
25th June 2007, 11:48 AM
Yep its all original Apple RAM inside there. Ill put off opening it up for awhile longer, but cheers for the advice.

Im thinking that it might be something to do with wireless. Ive never KPd at work, where I am plugged into the net via ethernet cable.. I get KPs at home when on wireless... Not sure though, but its the only thing i can think of so far...

stefanlod
25th June 2007, 11:48 AM
I was using AppFresh yesterday when I got a KP, which I realised could have been because I had Safari 3 beta and it might have played a problem with WebKit... Just my thought but nothing has happened since I reverted back to the Tiger version.

TeeZed
26th June 2007, 11:43 AM
No KP action for almost a day.. I have done two things since the last KP:
I changed from WEP to WPA2 on my home wireless and also I re-uninstalled Safari 3.

TeeZed
2nd July 2007, 04:27 AM
Colonel Panic reared his ugly head again.

Im pretty certain its the wireless/airport combination. If I'm working off wireless, my Mac is slow, my internet drops out frequently and im Force Quitting apps often.
If i turn off the airport and plug in the ethernet cable the Macbook springs back to its old self again and is quicker than Joe Swift.

It seems, from trawling alot of forums, that 10.4.10 wasnt the most successful of updates...

TeeZed
3rd July 2007, 02:50 PM
10.4.10 v1.1 didnt improve anything for me... my wireless internet is still haggardly intermittent.
Is anyone else having Airport problems after updating with 10.4.10?

Byrd
3rd July 2007, 03:32 PM
Apple RAM or not TeeZed, most KPs are primarily a result of flaky RAM. It might be time to open her up and remove the modules installed.

JB

forgie
3rd July 2007, 03:44 PM
If you've been messing around with your security settings, try deleting all references to your wireless network on your mac. Delete the network from the "preferred networks" list in Network Sys Prefs. Go into Keychain Access and delete all references to it in there. Then re-connect. I've seen OSX get borked a numbed of time when you change the security type or settings on a network that it already has stored as a favourite.

e.g.

Connect to a WEP network, and add it to your keychain.
Change the WEP to a WPA network on your wireless router.
OSX will now have a bit of a fit whenever you connect, until you delete all references to it and connect again.

If that doesn't work, try running it with no encryption.

TeeZed
5th July 2007, 12:25 PM
This thread seems to be about as popular as a root canal, but if it helps out just one other person...

Its appears that the 10.4.10 update has screwed a few peoples wireless internet connections, particularly on MBs. The problems can range from intermittent wireless connection through to frequency KP action. From what I can gather its something to do with what the airport card does when there's no traffic... some sort of idling problem. If I have a big download going constantly then i can surf away for hours with no problems.

Anyway, I hope those bright sparks at apple dish out a patch soon.