PDA

View Full Version : iChat compatibility

iThinkMac
24th June 2007, 08:18 PM
I have a friend who want's to use iChat to talk to someone on a PC. What program can the PC use (if any) to communicate with iChat.

mvjs
24th June 2007, 08:23 PM
AIM (http://www.aim.com/)

The Architect.mac
24th June 2007, 08:23 PM
i would have to recommend skype, it really is the only cross platform IM client that works well, video, voice and chat...

Galumay
24th June 2007, 08:28 PM
yep. i agree. while not quite the same quality as iChat AV, Skype is the best solution - both for macs and cross platform video chats.

iThinkMac
24th June 2007, 08:41 PM
Guys, my friend is wanting to use iChat and was wondering whether any other client works with iChat. In other words, can he use iChat and someone else use Messenger and it work across the two apps.

The Architect.mac
24th June 2007, 08:46 PM
yes you can setup the whole msn jabber transport thing through ichat but you won't have video or voice and no matter what anyone says, it is buggy... and mvjs has already pointed you to the AIM windows client...

luke_in_tas
24th June 2007, 09:05 PM
Your friend and his PC-using companion both need to be using the same IM network to start with. By default iChat uses the AIM network and Messenger uses the MSN network. Without some intermediary clients on these two different networks can't talk to one another.

As iChat is on the AIM network by default the easiest way for your friend's PC-using companion to download the AIM (http://www.aim.com/) client for Windows or some other compatible client. The two will then be able to chat fine (If your friend has a .Mac address it will still work with AIM, as .Mac is part of the AIM network).

iChat also supports Jabber/GoogleTalk, so another option would be for you friend to set up a Jabber/GoogleTalk account and configure iChat to use it. Your friend's PC-using companion would also need to set up a Jabber/GoogleTalk account and use a compatible client.

If your friend wants to have audio/video chats from iChat to his/her PC-using friend, then they will need to use the AIM network (as opposed to the Jabber/GoogleTalk network) and the PC user will need to use the official AIM client (I think this still works as long it is version 5.5 or higheróbut possibly not the AIM Triton client) or Trillian Pro (http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/), which is also compatible with iChat audio/video chats (note: only the pro version though, not the free one).

If audio/video chats are important though, probably the best option for cross-platform audio/video chats is Skype (http://www.skype.com/). It will be the easiest for both parties to set u and get working.

silverdreamer
24th June 2007, 09:42 PM
yes you can setup the whole msn jabber transport thing through ichat but you won't have video or voice and no matter what anyone says, it is buggy... and mvjs has already pointed you to the AIM windows client...

No longer available:(

silverdreamer
24th June 2007, 09:45 PM
I have a friend who want's to use iChat to talk to someone on a PC. What program can the PC use (if any) to communicate with iChat.

Shortest and easiest answer. ....None.

For full voice/vid/chat compatability, use skype.

or he could buy a mac!:)

DJY
24th June 2007, 10:04 PM
Easiest option - I'll throw another vote in for Skype.
It looks good, it works, and there are lots of options.

I'm currently even considering paying and going the full VOIP options as well.

silverdreamer
24th June 2007, 10:06 PM
Easiest option - I'll throw another vote in for Skype.
It looks good, it works, and there are lots of options.

I'm currently even considering paying and going the full VOIP options as well.

Just add credit to your account and you can use it to call anyone very cheaply. Rates are on the wesite. Even has a widget you can use to dial:)

silverdreamer
24th June 2007, 10:10 PM
Skype widget

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Dashboard-Widgets/Email-Messaging/Skype-Widget.shtml

iPirate
24th June 2007, 11:25 PM
If they use Google Talk, everything should work ok on their end. I for one chat with people on PCs over MSN, AIM and Google Talk all through iChat.

As MSN transports go for Jabber, the one I would recommend is msn.jabber.no, as that seems to be the most stable (and you can use PSI to set that up) but I always keep backups handy in case everything goes wrong (as in I have also registered with msn.planetjabber.de and I use Adium with an iChat skin to ensure that if all goes wrong at least it looks pretty similar to usual.)

Edit: I mainly use iChat because it lets me read my chat logs without logging in, and I can also see them as individual files.

Plus there's the whole being an iApp thing.

bushfire
24th June 2007, 11:33 PM
Using ADIUM
MSN /iChat / AOL Yahoochat can all be online chatting together.

BlowMeDown
24th June 2007, 11:54 PM
The biggest problem is of course convincing a pc user to use some other chat app other than MSN. Here in Australia we're at a disadvantage because no-one really uses AIM or iChat in the majority. You'll probably find what's likely is that YOU will have to use some 3rd party app to communicate with ur MSN using friends (I've not used jabber so can't comment on that, I guess the security questions come to mind for me because the people hosting the jabber server have access to your MSN username and password).

iThinkMac
28th June 2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks guys, I'll pass it on.