PDA

View Full Version : New MBP purchase: advice please

Brentnal
24th June 2007, 02:14 PM
Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a brand new MBP shortly, and as this is my first brand new mac purchase I have a few questions:

1. I live in a regional area (600k's from Perth) - but I make it to Perth every now and then. Where would be the best place to purchase from? Apple Store Online, Reseller in Perth (in store purchase), or from an online seller like Streetwise? Are the warranty conditions different if purchased from a different place, etc etc.

I'm thinking a reseller in Perth (in store) so I can quickly check for backlight issues, etc. etc before I leave the store. Or will they not let me do this?

2. Apple care warranty - can this be purchased anytime within the first 1 year, or do I need to purchase when I first get the laptop?

3. I'm thinking about getting the stock standard 15" 2.4 config, anyone with a new MBP that has any problems I should look out for in particular?

Thanks for all help offered.

purana
24th June 2007, 02:20 PM
1. I live in a regional area (600k's from Perth) - but I make it to Perth every now and then. Where would be the best place to purchase from? Apple Store Online, Reseller in Perth (in store purchase), or from an online seller like Streetwise? Are the warranty conditions different if purchased from a different place, etc etc.

I'm thinking a reseller in Perth (in store) so I can quickly check for backlight issues, etc. etc before I leave the store. Or will they not let me do this?

2. Apple care warranty - can this be purchased anytime within the first 1 year, or do I need to purchase when I first get the laptop?

3. I'm thinking about getting the stock standard 15" 2.4 config, anyone with a new MBP that has any problems I should look out for in particular?

1. Conditions won't vary between stores or online that much. Basically if you buy it online, any authorized repair place can repair it under warranty (even though you didn't buy from that
reseller if they also do repairs).

Also, soon as you take the machine and open it. It's yours. If it has backlight issues, then it will be usually repaired (unless it's deemed DOA out of the box, then it will be swapped in that DOA period).

2. Applecare can be purchased anytime in the first 12 months, soon as the machine is out of warranty it cannot be purchased or registered with the product. So you basically have about 11 months and 29 days odd :)

3. Someone else will answer this.

hithere
26th June 2007, 10:51 AM
1. I live in a regional area (600k's from Perth)

2. Apple care warranty

G'day Brent,

Re: 1 - Can't help you... don't know WA.

Re: 2 - nytime within 12 months but most suggest getting one around 11 months as it takes a little while to get. Also prices vary a bit from time to time so might be worth shopping around.

Re: 3 - If I am not mistaking, you can buy from Apple Online direct and you have 14 days to return - no questions asked. If the box is opened, there is a small charge. You got 12 days to test your new MBP and if there is anything you don't like about it, return it within that time. This, I believe, does not apply in retail stores.

Re: 3B - Issues known to MBP - It is always difficult to assess if there is REAL issue with LED MBPs (on small samples) OR people are just being too critical. Hard to say so I would say to you not to go looking for one. But if you want to know what people are talking about, look up discoloured (slight yellowing) LCD display on the bottom third. I think some of those issues can be fixed with a proper colour profile.

I got my 2.2GHz recently and I am loving it. No problem at all!