PDA

View Full Version : Modem Scripts For Se Phones

Disko
12th January 2004, 10:22 AM
DB posted a question here (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?s=&postid=2838434) about how to get his Sony Ericsson Z600 to act as a bluetooth modem for his powerbook. Apple do not ship the modem scripts with OSX, but you can download them from here (http://www.taniwha.org.uk/files/SonyEricssonGPRS2004-01.sit). (they're hosted at http://www.taniwha.org.uk/) Then, once you've done that, read the instructions in the archive:

These scripts activate GPRS operation by automatically dialling the dummy phone number *99***n# (= "make GPRS IP connection using Context ID n"). In order to access the correct GPRS access point, you may have been provided an Access Point Name (APN) by your network provider - enter it into the 'Number' field of Remote Access (Classic) or Internet Connect (OS X) instead of a phone number. The script will then set the APN if you have supplied one, and if you use the +CGQREQ script, it will also configure requested service quality parameters.

Do NOT enter a phone number in the 'Number' field - the script automatically dials 99***n#. Put the APN in the 'Number' field instead, or enter "None" (without the "") if there is no APN for your GPRS network. Do not use the usual username & password you use for your dialup ISP - use the username and/or password provided by the GPRS network operator.

There are ten versions because some networks seem to object to the attempt to set levels of service (e.g. throughput, delay), and because some networks configure Context ID 1 (CID1) for WAP and CIDs 2 and even 3 for other purposes. Phones tend to reject a request to reconfigure any CID that is already set up in the phone, so work your way up until you find one that works.

The Ericsson GPRS CIDx scripts just let the network do what it wants peformance-wise, while the Ericsson GPRS CIDx +CGQREQ scripts use the +CGQREQ command to set a requested service profile. The +CGQREQ script may give better performance, but it might not connect on some networks.

It appears that almost all networks require an APN to get a connection. Some also require a usercode & password, and some even require manual entry of Domain Name Server (DNS) addresses. If you cannot connect, and have not received any information on an APN or usercode/password from your service provider, you need to ask them about it. If you are able to connect, but cannot browse or get email, it is likely that you need to set the DNS addresses manually - again, ask your service provider.

Another small issue - the Remote Access control panel will not allow you to dial (the Connect button will be greyed-out) unless there is at least one character in either the usercode or password fields, or you select Guest rather than Registered User. If your network does not use a usercode/password, select the Guest option. Internet Connect does not have a Guest option, so just leave the username & password fields blank in that case.

Note: these scripts do not report the connect speed. GPRS doesn't have a fixed speed, so the phone doesn't bother giving a speed in its CONNECT response.

Known network details:
(always check with your provider if possible- they change)

There's a list of some networks and their GPRS parameters on my Website:

http://www.taniwha.org.uk/gprs.html

Known Issues:

1. The 'Send PPP Echo packets' option intruduced in OS X seems to cause problems with some GPRS networks. You can switch it off in Preferences:Network:PPP:PPP Options.

2. If you have trouble connecting, try switching off 'Use TCP header compression' in Remote Access:Options:Connection (OS 9) or Preferences:Network:PPP:PPP Options.

Classic OS Instructions:

1. Drop the modem script into System Folder:Extensions:Modem Script Folder.

2. Open up Remote Access control panel
A. Press Command-K to bring up Configurations
B. Duplicate your current config & rename it, e.g. "GPRS" or whatever you like.
C. Click 'Make Active'
D. Type in any username/password details provided by your network, or select Guest
E. In the Number field, enter the APN provided by your network, or NONE
F. Save the configuration on close

3. Open Modem control panel
C. Click 'Make Active'
D. Set 'Connect via: "Infrared Port"' (or a USB serial port if you are using USB)
E. Set &#39;Modem: "Ericsson GPRS <whichever version you&#39;re testing>"&#39;
F. Set &#39;Ignore dial tone&#39;
G. Save the configuration on close

4. If you have been given Domain Name Server (DNS) addresses, open the TCP/IP control panel
C. Click &#39;Make Active&#39;
D. Set &#39;Connect via: "PPP"&#39;
E. Set &#39;Configure: "Using PPP server"&#39;
F. Set &#39;Name server addr.:&#39; to the values (one or two) supplied by the network
G. Save the configuration on close

4. If you are using Infrared, turn on Ericsson Infrared port:
A. Press MENU>
B. Navigate to Extras:Infrared Port (press 5:3 on a T39)
C. Select &#39;10 Minutes&#39; and press Yes to activate IR Port (if you select &#39;On&#39;, port will stay on until you manually turn it off)
D. Line up phone IR port facing IR port on PowerBook.

5. Connect:
A. Click "Connect" on Remote Access Control Panel
B. No dial/modem sounds are heard during connection process

OS X Instructions

1. Drop the modem scripts into Library:Modem Scripts

2. Set up PPP:
A. Open Network Preferences and select the PPP tab
B. Create a new location - call it "GPRS" or whatever
C. Select "Show: &#39;IrDA Modem Port&#39;" (or a USB or Bluetooth serial port if you are using those)
D. Enter your ISP name in "Service Provider".
E. Enter in "Telephone Number" the APN provided by your network, or NONE if it has no APN.
F. Enter the Account name & Password, or leave them blank if there are none for your network
G. Press the "PPP Options..." button
H. Make sure that &#39;Send PPP echo packets&#39; is not selected

3. Set up modem
A. Select the IrDA Modem (or the equivalent USB port name) tab in Network Preferences
B. Set &#39;Modem: "Ericsson GPRS <whichever version you&#39;re testing>"&#39;

4. If you are using Infrared, turn on Ericsson Infrared port:
A. Press MENU>
B. Navigate to Extras:Infrared Port (press 5:3 on a T39)
C. Select &#39;10 Minutes&#39; and press Yes to activate IR Port (if you select &#39;On&#39;, port will stay on until you manually turn it off)
D. Line up phone IR port facing IR port on PowerBook.

5. Connect:
A. Open Internet Connect
B. Select &#39;IrDA Modem Port&#39; (or the equivalent USB port name)
C. Click &#39;Connect&#39;
D. No dial/modem sounds are heard during connection process

Extra hints:

1. To monitor the infrared connection, open the Infrared control panel to see that it shows IrDA devices in range. It will also show the connection process.

2. In OS 9, you can switch between the Remote Access configurations from the Control Strip, or using Location Manager. Location Manager can also switch Modem and TCP/IP configs, so it is by far the easiest way to switch between GPRS and any other set-ups you may have.

Kia ora,
Ross
ross@taniwha.org.uk
http://www.taniwha.org.uk/

Good luck to anyone trying this. I got it working through GSM, but not through GPRS.

d-_-b
12th January 2004, 11:19 AM
thanx man ..... i did end geting to work but i want it to work with GPRS ... and i kinda did but nothing would load up &#33;&#33;&#33; ???

Shawry
12th January 2004, 08:29 PM
What are the costs like for doing this? I know using GPRS on my phone costs a bomb&#33;

Disko
13th January 2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Shawry@Jan 12 2004, 08:59 PM
What are the costs like for doing this? I know using GPRS on my phone costs a bomb&#33;
On my vodafone plan, (&#036;40) it costs me 18c to connect, and then 2c a kilobite after that. And it&#39;s also a real slow connection. 9600bps i think.

I&#39;ve got an app that is supposed to send sms over gprs - so it&#39;ll cost 2c instead of 18c, but i haven&#39;t yet gotten it to work.

madamimadam
15th January 2004, 03:43 PM
Remember also GPRS Script Generator (http://www.macronsoft.com/pages/en/gsg.html)

That is the program I originally used with my T68i, it was quick, easy to use and free for basic settings.

Setting it up on the phone side was easy because the GPRS network on Telstra is just Telstra and all you have to do with GSG is put in the CID of the phone and save the script in your modem scripts folder.

Disko
29th January 2004, 02:17 PM
Just found this tutorial on xlr8yourmac.com:

Guide to Bluetooth connections with T-Mobile Sony Ericsson T610 phone

" Since I sent in the information concerning the Sprint PCS Wireless Card, I thought it may be useful to pass on my information on my T-Mobile Sony Ericsson T610 phone and how I managed to get it connected via Bluetooth to my PowerBook.
Granted, there are alot of great people who may already have figured this out, but I have yet to see anything posted in an easy-to-find manner, which is one of the many great things I like about XLR8YOURMAC. So on with the program&#33;

1. So you have a Bluetooth-equipped Powerbook (mine is a Rev. A 17-inch model) and your Sony T610 from T-mobile. And I&#39;m assuming you have a combination calling plan with minutes plus the &#036;20 All-You-Can-Eat GPRS/Data Plan.

2. On your phone, you need to create a new Data Connection by going into to Connectivity menu--&#62;Data Comm--&#62;Data Accounts. Select New Account, then type the following for the ACN: internet2.voicestream.com No further information is necessary, but take note of the CID= number, in my case it was CID=2.

3. Exit back to the main screen. I hope you have already turned Bluetooth on and that you&#39;ve already paired your PowerBook and Phone. If not, do it&#33;

4. Finally, on the Powerbook, go into the Network section of System Preferences. Select the USB Bluetooth Adapter device.

5. Under the PPP tab, name the connection whatever. You DO NOT need an account name or password. Type this into the Telephone Number field: *99***2# Note that the number 2 corresponds with the CID number you noted from step 2.

6. Now, under the USB Bluetooth tab, change the modem script to Ericsson Infrared V110. Trust me, I tried the other ones and couldn&#39;t get any of them to work as well. This script seems to connect at 33 Kbps, if anyone can figure out how to get a faster connection, post it&#33; You may want to check the box to show the modem status in the menu bar.

7. Really, that is it. If everything is on, you can create a connection now.

Disclaimer: As for any how-to guide, I probably missed some small details here. All I know is it works great&#33;
Best Regards,
Jason "

It worked for me. :)

rice mac
11th February 2004, 11:52 PM
I use Telstra&#39;s GPRS service.

My settings are below, you can get info about other Australian networks from this link http://www.taniwha.org.uk/gprs.html

TCP/IP TAB
Configure: Using PPP
The rest of this screen you leave blank

PPP TAB
Service Provider: Telstra
Account name: leave blank
Password: blank
Telephone number: telstra.internet
Leave the rest of the screen blank

BLUETOOTH MODEM TAB
Modem: Ericson GPRS CID1

In summary
- do not use the DNS entries leave blank
- Nothing in the account name or password (all blank)
- telephone number is "telstra.internet"
- Modem is set to Ericsson GPRS CID1 (not +CGQREQ)
- Use internet connect to make the connection.

arty
3rd February 2005, 01:50 PM
Just set my iBook up to connect to the net using GPRS with Vodafone and a SE K700i.

There is a great step-by-step tutorial here (http://www.crackistan.com/archives/2004/11/19/6/connect-gprs-via-sony-ericsson-k700i-mac-os-x-bluetooth/) that goes thru exactly what to do.

Works a treat and Vodafone&#39;s data plans are pretty damn good - I grabbed the top one which is &#036;49.95 per month for a max of 500MB/mth.

Damn cheap for net to go&#33;