PDA

View Full Version : Space left on HD of ipod

22nd January 2005, 08:24 PM
When I look at the space left on the HD of my ipod it doesn't change after adding files?? It just sits at 8gig.. It is a 4th gen 20gb ipod.. Has anyone else experienced this? is it fixable?

Rayd
22nd January 2005, 09:04 PM
restore? update everythin (iTunes ipod software etc)

22nd January 2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Jan 22 2005, 09:04 PM
restore? update everythin (iTunes ipod software etc)
restore? as in format ipod?? no way..

software is up to date... :(

Rayd
22nd January 2005, 10:50 PM
why not? just restore... then copy it all back... it does it automaticly through itunes

23rd January 2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Jan 22 2005, 10:50 PM
why not? just restore... then copy it all back... it does it automaticly through itunes
because i dont have the songs on my PC- my PC HD is 13gig

Rayd
23rd January 2005, 10:24 AM
LOL!

man you should backup your music... just in case your iPods batery dies... or it crashes... common failure..

23rd January 2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Jan 23 2005, 10:24 AM
LOL!

man you should backup your music... just in case your iPods batery dies... or it crashes... common failure..
my ipod is my only backup medium besides CDRWs... If it dies- I will just have to rip all my CDs again.. :lol:

g4cube
23rd January 2005, 10:59 AM
Have you thought about getting a bigger HD 13Gb isnt much try atleast 120Gb

frenchtoast
23rd January 2005, 12:42 PM
i thought we covered this in a previous post that having songs ONLY on the ipod is a terrible idea.

For the time and effort it takes to re-rip every cd you have in case of a failure to your ipod its a cheaper option to just get a second hard drive. Go to a swap meet and pick up a second hand hard drive, 20Gb or 40Gb will be cheap enough and you can just use it primarily as storage for music only. This way saves alot of time should something go wrong with your ipod.

23rd January 2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by frenchtoast@Jan 23 2005, 12:42 PM
i thought we covered this in a previous post that having songs ONLY on the ipod is a terrible idea.

For the time and effort it takes to re-rip every cd you have in case of a failure to your ipod its a cheaper option to just get a second hard drive. Go to a swap meet and pick up a second hand hard drive, 20Gb or 40Gb will be cheap enough and you can just use it primarily as storage for music only. This way saves alot of time should something go wrong with your ipod.
Look- I wish I had the money for a new comp etc- I am not bothered about failure to ipod.. still nobody has answered my question- and I recall people having the same problem.. Surely there is a fix?..

Edge
23rd January 2005, 04:51 PM
A 20GB drive will cost like $20 used. It's better than nothing. Even a brand new 80GB is only $100 at the most.

Anyway, to your question. Where does this figure not change? On the iPod 'About' screen? And when? When you transport other files? After you have added songs? How do you add songs without the songs on your computer? Specific info would help for us to have any chance of answering your question.

23rd January 2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Edge@Jan 23 2005, 04:51 PM
A 20GB drive will cost like $20 used. It's better than nothing. Even a brand new 80GB is only $100 at the most.

Anyway, to your question. Where does this figure not change? On the iPod 'About' screen? And when? When you transport other files? After you have added songs? How do you add songs without the songs on your computer? Specific info would help for us to have any chance of answering your question.
Ok.. I have only had this problem once my pod for to 8gig left.
It happens in the 'about' section of the ipod.
When I add files, the disk space left does not change.

*I also use it to store files such as movies etc..

helloroto
23rd January 2005, 06:06 PM
try gettin a program that allows you to copy music from your ipod to itunes!

Bye, BJ

frenchtoast
23rd January 2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by 1968@Jan 23 2005, 01:21 PM
Look- I wish I had the money for a new comp etc- I am not bothered about failure to ipod.. still nobody has answered my question- and I recall people having the same problem.. Surely there is a fix?..
Why would you need a "new comp"?
If its as you said an average PC, rather then say an iMac or any laptop computer, then you can by a cheap hard drive for next to nothing and install it in the spare hard drive mounting.

23rd January 2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by frenchtoast@Jan 23 2005, 06:32 PM
Why would you need a "new comp"?
If its as you said an average PC, rather then say an iMac or any laptop computer, then you can by a cheap hard drive for next to nothing and install it in the spare hard drive mounting.
This is unnessisary.. I have spent enough on the ipod as it is

Is there a solution or should I just put up with it?..

Currawong
23rd January 2005, 07:04 PM
I guess you'll have to put up with it.