PDA

View Full Version : 20 Minute iPhone Guided Tour Video at Apple.com

gehenna
23rd June 2007, 06:17 AM
available to stream in three sizes or download for 175Mb, 1 minute remaining on my dl :)

www.apple.com/iphone/usingiphone/guidedtour.html

not to mention the iphone site has been completely revamped and expanded!

melted.marsbar
23rd June 2007, 06:28 AM
Wow! That looks so good! And, hehe, see how they did it one week before it will be released. Very nice Apple :)

Time to go exploring :p

Oh, and look at this!

iPhone will be available June 29 at 6pm

6pm! I wonder what time the stores will stay open until?

gehenna
23rd June 2007, 06:37 AM
i heard on buzz out loud that apple stores will stay open for 24 hours after iphone's release, or until stocks are sold out.

man they're confident! the apple brand has completely presold the iphone without even having a product to sell for the first half of this year. now THAT's power!

icant
23rd June 2007, 07:47 AM
yay, the iPhone has vibrate. Praise praise. :)

gehenna
23rd June 2007, 08:15 AM
anyone noticed the little thing inbetween the on/off button and the headphone socket? looks like the cover for the battery in an apple remote control. could this be the cover for a sim card socket?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1417/592943285_5f151135e4.jpg

tcn33
23rd June 2007, 08:20 AM
Actually I believe you have them reversed - sim card socket on the left, power button in the centre.

gehenna
23rd June 2007, 08:26 AM
Actually I believe you have them reversed - sim card socket on the left, power button in the centre.

i don't think so...

in that photo above, the screen is at the top of the image, so thats the headphone socket on the right, and the power button on the hard left. leaving an undisclosed section in the middle which i am guessing is for a removable sim card.

tcn33
23rd June 2007, 08:29 AM
No, you're right (http://www.tuaw.com/photos/da-big-zapruder/285128/) - I stand corrected.

arkenstone
23rd June 2007, 10:02 AM
I'm only nine minutes into this movie and I WANT ONE NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:(

DJY
23rd June 2007, 10:47 AM
This also only makes me want one more!
Very nice little video!

Good features - and love the multiple ways you can achieve the same result (like deleting options). Good ol Apple to get seamless interaction across applications, making it beautiful and functional. Very intuitive it seems...

sigh
Here is hoping after June 29 someone exports it successfully off AT&T and internationally.
Will be very interesting to see how they have locked it to AT&T and domestic US market initially

mechcon
23rd June 2007, 11:13 AM
I wanted to see more about it's settings, with what can be customised and what can't be... I.E. there's no indication of being able to sms/email in landscape..

DJY
23rd June 2007, 12:21 PM
One possibly annoying thing I noted was that whenever you touch a phone number - whether it be in an SMS, or anywhere it automatically rings that number - rather than giving you the choice of saving it into a contact or ringing it.

If Steve still reads MacTalk - maybe he can add that option before we get ours over here!

Not that I believe any of the current rumours - but a mate was talking to an Apple guy - who said people would have to give their Social Security numbers in order to buy one?
That might be one of the ways they try to contain it to the domestic US market?!?!?

Didn't sound veasible... but knowing Apple they will have clever ways of tying it to both AT&T and domestic market initially.

Brentnal
23rd June 2007, 12:26 PM
OK - am I the only one who's actually tried to call John Appleseed??

I got his voicemail..

0011 1 (408) 550 3542

decryption
23rd June 2007, 12:45 PM
I shouldn't have watched this, my life feels so uncompleted without an iPhone now :(
I hate you Nokia 6280 - why can't you be more like the iPhone? Why must you underachieve?

Shatter
23rd June 2007, 12:48 PM
OK - am I the only one who's actually tried to call John Appleseed??

I got his voicemail..

0011 1 (408) 550 3542

did it work?

ETA: 15min :(

mvjs
23rd June 2007, 12:51 PM
I really, really want an iPhone now. The only thing which I'm worried about for an iPhone in Australia is the lack of a good data plan.

decryption
23rd June 2007, 12:53 PM
I really, really want an iPhone now. The only thing which I'm worried about for an iPhone in Australia is the lack of a good data plan.

3 has 2GB/month on HSDPA for $40/month (1gb for $30, 500mb for $20) - that's pretty good I think?

marc
23rd June 2007, 01:01 PM
2GB on a phone is massive!

Hurry up 3G iPhone!!!

mvjs
23rd June 2007, 01:12 PM
3 has 2GB/month on HSDPA for $40/month (1gb for $30, 500mb for $20) - that's pretty good I think?

Ooooh....that is really good. Now all we've got to hope for it that it'll be on Three. The pessimist inside of me suspects it'll be on Telstra.

aswitcher
23rd June 2007, 01:59 PM
I can see alot of eBay activity for unlocked contract iPhones to foreign sales after this.

I do wonder if Apple will use the iTunes connection to control things but I dont see why they would.

I also wonder if that keypad appears when you insert a SIM so you can unlock the SIM to use the phone.

Also, there should be a screen lock PIN code option because there is so much sensitive information on there. Say autolock after a period of time or manual lock to calender/todo list

And yes, I am also contemplating getting one direct. It falls under the $1100 customs threshold, it should have an international warranty (although ZIP tech support in Australia this year), and I dont see why everything BUT the voicemail wouldnt just work.

OziMac
23rd June 2007, 02:04 PM
I'm arriving in New York next Friday at 5pm, and plan on heading straight to the Apple Store aty Smith Haven mall. I'll take some photos for you guys, and chance my luck.

There's really no point in keeping stores open late or putting this much effort into marketing if there is a limited amount of stock that will be sold out in an hour. It seems silly, unless the rumours of the massive stockpiles of iPhones are true - they have had six months to build them after all.

Anyway, to the extent its possible to buy one from an Apple Store, I'm going to try to go for it - Pending information about the data plans / activation / cancellation / hacking etc.

zbaron
23rd June 2007, 02:24 PM
I don't know about others, but I went and watched the Skateboarding Dog http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKZdpKPGvoA video on YouTube and the video of the video on the iPhone looks so much better than what Flash offers. C'mon YouTube give us the option of H.264 streaming to a browser!

The Fluffy Duck
23rd June 2007, 02:33 PM
Problems for australia..

a ) Data rates are so overpriced they arnt feasible too anybody outside of Toorak.
b ) Share widget is only for America not ASX
c ) Weather widget is wrong thats why we have the BOM widget
d ) Traffic on google in australia is a non event (as far as I know)
e ) The only open wireless networks in australia are radio AM/FM bands :(
f ) No carrier in australia is jumping up and down to get into bed with apple, infact they are the opposite.

EDIT: I dont see ANY of those things changing even if we do get the iPhone

decryption
23rd June 2007, 02:40 PM
Problems for australia..

a ) Data rates are so overpriced they arnt feasible too anybody outside of Toorak.
b ) Share widget is only for America not ASX
c ) Weather widget is wrong thats why we have the BOM widget
d ) Traffic on google in australia is a non event (as far as I know)
e ) The only open wireless networks in australia are radio AM/FM bands :(
f ) No carrier in australia is jumping up and down to get into bed with apple, infact they are the opposite.

EDIT: I dont see ANY of those things changing even if we do get the iPhone

A few not so right things there

A) 3 provides 1GB for $30 a month at HSDPA (fast) - this is cheaper than in the US I believe
B & C) It would be easy for Apple to make a share widget that taps into the ASX & BOM
D) I think you mean Google Maps? (I don't remember seeing Apple advertise traffic) - Maps in Australia is pretty well done
E) There's 802.11g networks all over the place and in Adelaide and Perth's CBDs - free and CBD wide
F) Who said Apple hasn't got the potential provider gagged to not mutter a word about the iPhone? They did it to Cingular/AT&T.

tcn33
23rd June 2007, 02:58 PM
Not that I believe any of the current rumours - but a mate was talking to an Apple guy - who said people would have to give their Social Security numbers in order to buy one?
That might be one of the ways they try to contain it to the domestic US market?!?!?
This would likely be because Social Security numbers are used for credit checking - US mobile service providers generally require a credit check for postpaid accounts. There would probably be a way around it though, as non-Americans on student visas normally do not receive Social Security numbers and are still sometimes able to obtain credit.

B ) It would be easy for Apple to make a share widget that taps into the ASX

They may not even need to do that - you can get Australian stock quotes on many US sites by just adding the suffix .AX to the Australian ticker symbol (example (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=wtf.ax)).

grfxninja
23rd June 2007, 03:52 PM
D) I think you mean Google Maps? (I don't remember seeing Apple advertise traffic) - Maps in Australia is pretty well done

In the video it had a feature of finding out how bad the traffic was on your chosen route to the restaurant. Green was flowing, red was bad or something like that

aswitcher
23rd June 2007, 03:54 PM
I'm arriving in New York next Friday at 5pm, and plan on heading straight to the Apple Store aty Smith Haven mall. I'll take some photos for you guys, and chance my luck.

There's really no point in keeping stores open late or putting this much effort into marketing if there is a limited amount of stock that will be sold out in an hour. It seems silly, unless the rumours of the massive stockpiles of iPhones are true - they have had six months to build them after all.

Anyway, to the extent its possible to buy one from an Apple Store, I'm going to try to go for it - Pending information about the data plans / activation / cancellation / hacking etc.

Thats awesome. Make sure you have your current SIM enabled for global roaming so you can see if you can make a call right away :)

OziMac
23rd June 2007, 04:34 PM
Thats awesome. Make sure you have your current SIM enabled for global roaming so you can see if you can make a call right away :)

Haha, doubt it'd work but of course I'll give it a try. I know there'll be a flurry of photos from elsewhere, but as soon as I get back from the store prior to unpacking I'll try upload all the photos. :)

[EDIT] I'm loving the close up of the SIM tray in this new video though - quite clearly there's a pin hole to release it and te removable SIM is contained within. Definitely worth a try to see what exactly is lost when putting in a non-AT&T SIM.

aswitcher
23rd June 2007, 04:47 PM
Haha, doubt it'd work but of course I'll give it a try. I know there'll be a flurry of photos from elsewhere, but as soon as I get back from the store prior to unpacking I'll try upload all the photos. :)

[EDIT] I'm loving the close up of the SIM tray in this new video though - quite clearly there's a pin hole to release it and te removable SIM is contained within. Definitely worth a try to see what exactly is lost when putting in a non-AT&T SIM.

If you get the $175 unlock then I dont see why it wouldn't work.

melted.marsbar
23rd June 2007, 04:49 PM
So OziMac, can officially recognise you as the iPhone correspondent for MTAU?

It's going to be great to hear some of your findings, especially because we know it'll be from a reliable source.

danielvh
23rd June 2007, 06:15 PM
My SE k800i looks like absolute shit compared to that :(

tcn33
23rd June 2007, 06:19 PM
If you get the $175 unlock then I dont see why it wouldn't work.
Cancellation fee != unlock fee. AT&T's policy on network locking is not available on their website, but a quick Google suggests they'll do it if you've been a customer for 90 days in good standing.

Of course, since Apple are setting some of these policies all bets are off. Apple may have decided that since visual voicemail will not work with other providers, the iPhone will not be unlocked. If that's the case, the iPhone is basically a paperweight without an AT&T account (or at least will be useable only in flight mode).

On the other hand, 3rd party mobile unlocking is perfectly legal in the US so I expect there will be a thriving industry for it if Apple and/or AT&T don't want to play nice.

internet
23rd June 2007, 09:25 PM
curse being in australia.. curse it!

melted.marsbar
23rd June 2007, 09:44 PM
Okay, so there's lots of talk about not being able to use the iPhone if you're not with AT&T. But, is the iPhone not an iPod as well? It wouldn't be fair if you can't use that amazing iPod if you're not using the phone features. And what about the internet over WiFi? I can't see why that couldn't be used....

nicwithsticks
23rd June 2007, 09:44 PM
Keep your eye's peeled on eBay i reckon. That $175 unlocking fee is notoriously low, so I reckon people will be putting them up for flogging to poor suckers who live in countries where it isn't available.

I have to admit though, watching that 20 minute intro video was a terrible idea. Only made it harder to have to wait another (possibly) 12 months. I don't hate living in Australia, but I'm not impressed that it might be mid next year before we see the bloody thing!

Oh, and danielvh my k800i IS crap compared to that. It's 11 months old and has been repaired 3 times. I'm hoping it lasts until the iPhone arrives, but I'm not naive enough to think that it will. I'm only thankful that my contract will be almost up by the time it arrives.

tempestas
26th June 2007, 08:57 PM
That is one very nice intro. If it performs in the wild as well as it does in the video then it will be a absolute game changer.

That Apple attention to detail and thinking things through is there in spades. Of course the first interface enhancement *cough* hack needed will be to enable us lefties to delete by moving right to left.

Oh when can we have one to play with...

Huy
2nd July 2008, 12:16 AM
I don't know where else to put this, but it seems appropriate for this thread?

iPhone 3G Guided Tour is now up (unless I am really slow or it has already been posted, sorry!).

There are two, so watch the one you want:
iPhone 3G. A Guided Tour. (http://www.apple.com/iphone/guidedtour/tour/large.html)
iPhone 3G. See What's New. (http://www.apple.com/iphone/guidedtour/whatsnew/large.html)

:thumbup:

SubElement
2nd July 2008, 01:25 AM
I don't know where else to put this, but it seems appropriate for this thread?

iPhone 3G Guided Tour is now up (unless I am really slow or it has already been posted, sorry!).

There are two, so watch the one you want:
iPhone 3G. A Guided Tour. (http://www.apple.com/iphone/guidedtour/tour/large.html)
iPhone 3G. See What's New. (http://www.apple.com/iphone/guidedtour/whatsnew/large.html)

:thumbup:

Nice one, I'll check it out!

Huy
2nd July 2008, 01:30 AM
What is up with the ugly screws on the 3G iPhone? Look at the bottom.

The first gen didn't have it... that I can remember.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8002/screwsfp0.jpg

OziMac
2nd July 2008, 07:22 AM
Great - easier to take apart. :)

mechcon
2nd July 2008, 07:48 AM
They're just two little screws, the macbook pro has more on the outside.. whoopdeedoo basil! :P

matthew858
2nd July 2008, 08:06 AM
Just downloaded. The screws are probably for the poor people that have to take apart the phones to meet our warranty claims.

matthew858
2nd July 2008, 02:19 PM
I thought Kevin 007 learnt the gestures from the Steve-clone, not the other way around.

macrich
2nd July 2008, 03:24 PM
The share widget can do Australian shares. Just type in the share code, ie: CBA.AX. Always end the code with .AX for the Australian Stock Exchange.

Samb0
2nd July 2008, 03:25 PM
no one better call me while im syncing my ipod ill be an unhappy camper

Huy
2nd July 2008, 04:17 PM
The guided tour states that your sync will stop and allow you to answer the call if this happens.

Unless this is what you're annoyed at.

sp0radic
2nd July 2008, 07:50 PM
The guided tour guide link on the following page says 108MB but the download is only 22.4MB:
Apple - iPhone - A Guided Tour - What's New - Large (http://www.apple.com/iphone/guidedtour/whatsnew/large.html)

Am I missing something?

Huy
2nd July 2008, 07:59 PM
The guided tour guide link on the following page says 108MB but the download is only 22.4MB:
Apple - iPhone - A Guided Tour - What's New - Large (http://www.apple.com/iphone/guidedtour/whatsnew/large.html)

Am I missing something?
That looks to be a little odd. The iPod version (download) seems bigger at 33.6MB.

I think you should just stream it on large. You might not get the full video if it is reporting 22.4MB (same for me).

NeoRicen
2nd July 2008, 08:05 PM

Am I missing something?
I know I had to stream it because the download archive was 'damaged'.

sp0radic
2nd July 2008, 08:11 PM
Some of the downloads seem to be damaged.

OziMac
2nd July 2008, 09:05 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but the quality of this video is really poor, far below Apple's usual standards - it looks like it's been finished on an analogue format like SP Betacam, unlike the pristine digital / HD quality of most Apple product videos.

[EDIT] It's probably just my Quicktime playing tricks on me, I seem to have improved it slightly. Still doesn't quite look up to par though. Anyway.