PDA

View Full Version : Skitch

Kuma
22nd June 2007, 06:12 PM
I just got my skitch beta invite
and let me say from the top...
this is awesome
http://myskitch.com/shonankuma/apple_-_iphone_-_revolutionary_phone-20070622-171041.jpg

for easy image manipulation/capture... WOW!!!

The above image was the first thing I did.

Seon
22nd June 2007, 06:14 PM
Whats skitch?

feeze
22nd June 2007, 06:15 PM
Whats skitch?

What he said

natakim
22nd June 2007, 06:15 PM
is it just me or has kuma been absent for a couple of weeks?:rolleyes:

spilla
22nd June 2007, 06:16 PM
I'm lost. I've looked at the Skitch site, and as far as I can tell, it's basically just Photoshop Elements Elements. :confused:

Kuma
22nd June 2007, 06:19 PM
skitch is software from the makers of comic life
http://plasq.com/skitch/

it is in invite only beta

...bone-rattlingly awesome.... Skitch, by plasq.... Oh my God, it's such a cool application for capturing screen stuff.... Merlin Mann - MacBreak Weekly podcast - listen (http://www.twit.tv/node/4917) (about 42 mins in)oh and I have quit my forum addiction...

(Im sure there are others who will be happy about that too).

it is not so much the image processing that counts.. it is what you can do with the processed image... resizing is the easiest thing ever...
sending to any of your online sites... flickr, .mac, and your own page on skitch's server....

It is the ultimate screen capture and send application...

natakim
22nd June 2007, 06:23 PM
oh and I have quit my forum addiction...

(Im sure there are others who will be happy about that too).

hopefully you'll find a new sugar daddy soon, to help re-addict you:D

iSlayer
22nd June 2007, 06:25 PM
I've looked at it a few times but no matter how good it may be that interface just doesnt work for me.i find it very ugly.

Kuma
22nd June 2007, 06:36 PM
http://myskitch.com/shonankuma/skitch-20070622-173634.jpg
but maybe that is too big
so a quick drag
http://myskitch.com/shonankuma/skitch_-_mactalk_forums-20070622-174125.jpg
and then the piece de resistance (for forums anyway
after posting to skitch just hit copy
http://myskitch.com/shonankuma/myskitch___shonankuma___skitch_-_mactalk_forums-20070622-174313.jpg
and bang the url is ready for the forums.

Lionman
22nd June 2007, 08:17 PM
this looks really clever... This would have been really handy the other day when I was trying to describe quickly to my sister how she should knit my scarf this year.

Think I will give it a go!

Peter Wells
22nd June 2007, 09:24 PM
i've only played with it for a while, but like kuma said, frakking awesome. unbelievable good, easy, fun, with great end results. exactly what you'd expect from the comic life guys...

i imagine kuma, being the last remaining twitterer, signed up for an invite after hearing the buzz through the lucky group of beta testers..

EDIT:

kuma says something about forum addiction...

twitter is a personal worldwide forum!

Kuma
23rd June 2007, 12:14 AM
merlin mann.. is my personal jesus.. well at least when it comes to mac stuff...

and to clarify
"broke my mactalk addiction"

decryption
23rd June 2007, 12:22 AM
Got my invite a few days ago and I don't like it much either, haha

Not that it's a bad app, but like iSlayer, I don't find it intuitive or as familiar as a regular Mac app - it's got a pretty lame interface. It's a bit of fun to fiddle with, but that's it.

On the other hand, my girlfriend has spent the past few days glued to Skitch and I just passed it on to my sister who has been uploading the images to her Skitch account like crazy, haha

It will do very well for the Plasq dudes (Aussies for the most part and read MacTalk!)

macgeek
23rd June 2007, 09:35 AM
Got my beta access as well. I love the app. I think the UI is different cause it has to be. Like ComicLife it is in some ways pushing the boundaries.

I've only used it for 5 mins, and I'm already hooked. Will make so many things I do with images a LOT easier.

aussiedeano
23rd June 2007, 10:38 PM
I got a beta account as well, and for me it will be awesome! Can do some great stuff a lot easier than I thought!

I love the way you can change the color of the interface! Using the red at the moment, awesome! Is there ANY way I can change my Safari skin to the red?? Awesome!

Kuma
3rd July 2007, 06:30 AM
got some invites to beta for those who may be interested. (numbers limited first in first serve)

will need your email address.

the gaffer guy
3rd July 2007, 07:41 AM
got some invites to beta for those who may be interested. (numbers limited first in first serve)

will need your email address.

That would be great if you still have any left
thegafferguy@gmail.com
Ta

aussiedeano
3rd July 2007, 08:03 AM
I've got 5 invites too.....doubt many people will want them, seems to me that not many people like Skitch.....

If you are in the minority and do want one, let me know!

Kuma
3rd July 2007, 09:38 AM
..doubt many people will want them, seems to me that not many people like Skitch.....

Possibly the easiest way to put images out there on the net...

oh well... not my problem if they dont like it

I have seen some blogs begin to use it...
the distinctive text makes it easy to see

Kuma
3rd July 2007, 09:41 AM
That would be great if you still have any left
thegafferguy@gmail.com
Ta

invite sent

MrJesseRoss
3rd July 2007, 10:14 AM
I've just been playing around with Skitch for the last 15 or so minutes, and it looks pretty cool. It seems to make simple image editing for the web much easier. I'll have to keep exploring. But so far, it looks good!

MacNut
3rd July 2007, 11:35 AM
[quote=Kuma;319130]got some invites to beta for those who may be interested. (numbers limited first in first serve)

Thanks Kuma that would be great - Love comic life

pmurrant@hotmail.com

Kuma
3rd July 2007, 11:39 AM
sent
1 left.

oneplusone
3rd July 2007, 11:54 AM
sent
1 left.

I'd like one please....

nick(dot)brown(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)au

Cheers.

Optogamut
3rd July 2007, 12:10 PM
I just got some invites too. So PM if there's anyone still looking.
I think it's a cool little app and makes it so easy to post a screen capture or image. I like how you can just set up your own FTP and chuck the images up for you.

Kuma
3rd July 2007, 12:12 PM
ok Im out...
have to hit up the others here

MrJesseRoss
3rd July 2007, 12:51 PM
I have 2 invites. PM with email address if you want one!

decryption
3rd July 2007, 12:58 PM
I have 5 golden tickets to the sktich promise land if anyone wants in!

pixelperfect
3rd July 2007, 01:20 PM
I have 5 golden tickets to the sktich promise land if anyone wants in!

yes

(my post is more than 5 characters now)

atariboy
16th July 2007, 11:57 PM
Hey all. Designer and CEO at plasq.

We certainly plan to improve the UI.

Usability wise, I think it is one of the best around. The actual look of the graphics is a different matter and needs improvement.

It is funny, some people say its the most amazing looking app around, some hate it. I did the UI graphics and I'm in the middle... not happy with how it looks but certainly don't think it is ugly.

I don't find it intuitive or as familiar as a regular Mac app - it's got a pretty lame interface.

If you could define "lame" and what you found wasn't as intuitive as other Mac apps, I'd love to hear.

Always open to suggestions on all fronts.

andrew.wilson
17th July 2007, 12:47 AM
Could I please get an invite too!?

Would love to try a new image app...I'm still trying to find something I really like on the Mac...and I LOVE Comic Life so this one might be a goer!

andrew.mtb@gmail.com

Thanks very much!

atariboy
17th July 2007, 12:51 AM
Sent :)

andrew.wilson
17th July 2007, 12:52 AM
Sent :)

Thanks very much mate! Will have a fiddle and post some thoughts! Cheers! :D

andrew.wilson
17th July 2007, 01:07 AM
Impressions after 10 minutes of playing around:

-To me it seems like paint, but 10x better...something I have found Mac to lack...but not anymore...
-Very easy to use, but also rather basic...bit of a fun app, very Comic Life like (well der, haha)
-LOVE the fact you can easily erase back to the background photo, many other basic image apps erase to white or whatever
-LOVE the function where one click gets your image uploaded to your account...that is just genius!
-Still undecided about the UI...is different...

I think this app is going to fill a nice hole in the Mac software line up...a quick, very easy to use, fun and functional photo editing/drawing application...bring it on!

Kuma
17th July 2007, 02:21 AM
I think the main purpose is to manage snapping shots quickly.. minimum editing but to then share via forums, email etc, quickly and easily

yes the UI is a bit different..

but Im very happy with it.. and I have found myself snapping SS left right and centre and forwarding to friends and posting in forums... quicker and easier than ever before.

Peter Wells
17th July 2007, 07:59 AM
welcome atariboy!

gaehl
17th July 2007, 11:08 AM
Welcome to atariboy, and does anybody still have any invites left? I signed up for the beta but don't seem to have gotten an invite (at least not yet) email is scott AT gaehl DOT com .

Atomac
17th July 2007, 11:21 AM
If anyone has an invite that is going spare I would like one, please.

atomac@aucs.com.au

cbennie
17th July 2007, 01:09 PM
As the IT manager in an Apple school, I would be keen to get an invite for this beta....sounds like it has real potential in a school env. & if it is anything like Comic Life - will be a real hit!

cbennie at esc dot net dot au

jeremy_warnock
17th July 2007, 01:12 PM
and me atariboy, I have been waiting for a product like this - it would be fantastic for training

omega74@iinet.net.au

andrew.wilson
17th July 2007, 01:58 PM
The program is definitely way beyond anything else I have used in terms of ease of uploading pictures...the fact it gives you your own designated page as part of the install is great as well...any idea how much storage we get? I haven't had an indepth look yet?

One other gripe I have found...is it just me or are the only basic shapes you ca get a square and a circle???

As the IT manager in an Apple school, I would be keen to get an invite for this beta....sounds like it has real potential in a school env. & if it is anything like Comic Life - will be a real hit!

cbennie at esc dot net dot au

Sent! :) From what I have used so far this would be perfect for the classroom!

and me atariboy, I have been waiting for a product like this - it would be fantastic for training

omega74@iinet.net.au

Sent! :)

Sorry if if anyone missed out, I only had two and sent them to the to most recent requests (ie. the ones who has most likely not gotten an invite from someone else yet).

Cheers!

gaehl
17th July 2007, 02:02 PM
oh well im sure I will get in eventually :D

andrew.wilson
17th July 2007, 02:03 PM
Sorry mate =( Thought someone else might have already helped you out. Hit up the two I just sent invites to, they should have at least one each to pass on =)

jeremy_warnock
17th July 2007, 02:10 PM
andrew.wilson your a star.

gaehl ill be happy to skitch you up once im set up

Razer
17th July 2007, 02:26 PM
could I be a pest and trouble someone for an invite as well.

adminatplaypauseorg

jeremy_warnock
17th July 2007, 02:39 PM
could I be a pest and trouble someone for an invite as well.

adminatplaypauseorg

tis done

jeremy_warnock
17th July 2007, 02:39 PM
If anyone has an invite that is going spare I would like one, please.

atomac@aucs.com.au

also done

Peter Wells
17th July 2007, 03:25 PM
gaehl, when i tried to send you an invite it said "this email address has already been invited!"

razer, i'll hook you up buddy..

no i wont, bloody hell you're quick jeremy!

andrew.wilson
17th July 2007, 03:26 PM
atariboy,

Filled in the feedback form with some thoughts.

Cheers.

gaehl
17th July 2007, 03:34 PM
Ok I have not received an invite maybe it got eaten as spam along the way. If someone could do use the favor of inviting my work email scott AT amh DOT net DOT au . Maybe I can get in on all the fun.

Peter Wells
17th July 2007, 03:40 PM
Ok I have not received an invite maybe it got eaten as spam along the way. If someone could do use the favor of inviting my work email scott AT amh DOT net DOT au . Maybe I can get in on all the fun.

done!

gaehl
17th July 2007, 04:17 PM
http://gaehl.com/temp/Cam-20070717-154333.jpg
Cool if anybody else wants an Invite let me know!

younge
17th July 2007, 05:55 PM
How does this app compare with Picturesque?

I know Picturesque doesn't have the image upload facility like Skitch does, but it is very easy to use and is a great way to standardize a graphics look across a website.

Thoughts anyone?

gaehl
17th July 2007, 06:07 PM
I think they are aimed at very different markets, Skitch is for quickly grabbing something adding "effects" (notes drawing etc) while Picturesque appears to be aimed at making "professional" website graphics easily (does that even make sense).

Peter Wells
17th July 2007, 06:18 PM
How does this app compare with Picturesque?

I know Picturesque doesn't have the image upload facility like Skitch does, but it is very easy to use and is a great way to standardize a graphics look across a website.

Thoughts anyone?

i think skitch is more a replacement for screen grab + imagewell + imageshack

or photobooth + imagewell + imageshack..

you get a very fast capture tool, plus the ability to add some special text, arrows, etc, and resize, plus you get automatic hosting so you can embed the images to forums like these...

younge
17th July 2007, 06:25 PM
...plus you get automatic hosting so you can embed the images to forums like these...

I think Picturesque would be just about perfect if it had that auto-upload facility. That or one-click transfer to RapidWeaver and DreamWeaver would help too.

Kuma
26th July 2007, 06:39 AM
http://myskitch.com/shonankuma/myskitch___shonankuma-20070726-053811.jpg

gaehl
26th July 2007, 07:59 AM
http://gaehl.com/temp/mySkitch_%3E_gaehl-20070726-072835.jpg

lavo
7th August 2007, 12:54 AM
Anybody played with this Skitch-alike app:

Jing (http://jingproject.com/)

It is interesting to compare it with Skitch. It is leaner than Skitch in the number of features and the graphical display, and also has the option to record video. I also like the Sun feature in the top corner for starting Jing, rather than another item on the menu bar.

But, it is not as slick as Skitch. The uploading in Skitch gives you an idea of time (via status bar), but Jing has nothing other than the word uploading.

I'm still a big fan of Skitch, but I would love to see the video screen capturing incorporated at some point :-)

Here is a test I did of the video capture with Jing:

Jing recording Skitch (http://www.screencast.com/t/Jkp6VfcilKG)

Razer
7th August 2007, 01:03 AM
tis done

delayed reaction but thanks :)

cjbchris1
7th August 2007, 09:44 AM
Anyone have any invites for me? cjbchris1@gmail.com

tokevmur
7th August 2007, 09:47 AM
done. Should be in your mailbox soon

TorranceTM
7th August 2007, 11:22 AM
Has anybody got any Skitch invites left?
torrancetm -at- hotmail.com

Thanks,

Tom.

kungfucamel
7th August 2007, 11:23 AM
would it be possible to get an invite too? kungfucamel@hotmail.com

thanks and much appreciated.

Devski
7th August 2007, 11:32 AM
Done and done for TorranceTM and kungfucamel

gaehl
7th August 2007, 11:37 AM
damn it guys stop being so quick I have six invites that I cant give away as someone always gets there first! :D

arkenstone
7th August 2007, 03:06 PM
kahlerisms gmail com

Please please

jeremy_warnock
7th August 2007, 03:17 PM
kahlerisms gmail com

Please please

Your skitched up mate

Optogamut
7th August 2007, 04:00 PM
damn it guys stop being so quick I have six invites that I cant give away as someone always gets there first! :D

Same here! :o
So PM me if anyone wants one!

hiredgoon
7th August 2007, 04:36 PM
now this is a GREAT idea.

its programs like this that can be used by everyone from any background (professional or not) that make computers and the Internet so easy to use.

of course... you need a mac! NICE ONE.

thanks again Optogamut

Kuma
5th January 2008, 11:03 AM
I have (and I think everyone has) unlimited skitch invites

so if you want one PM me with your email addy....

cheers

timothy
5th January 2008, 11:26 AM
thanks kuma

you rock!

DJY
5th January 2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks Kuma

I got your invite last night - and have started to have a play...
i think this little gem of an app is a WINNER!

Can't believe I missed this one first time around?!!!
Thanks mate - and will be recommending this one to a couple of others as well FYI Atariboy!

aussiedeano
5th January 2008, 11:35 AM
I have invites as well, if u want them......

timothy
5th January 2008, 11:42 AM
http://img.skitch.com/20080105-qxdgjr28swnwbh755i19jd1577.jpg

DJY
5th January 2008, 11:54 AM
Lovin this little gem

http://img.skitch.com/20080105-bxpts19hpsk1b4sk726p6c8twi.jpg

LarryH
5th January 2008, 11:56 AM
I love Skitch! Its like MS Paint made by Apple! iPaint?

Got a feeling it won't be free after the beta period though.

purana
5th January 2008, 12:25 PM
I like skitch too, handy application

one_nil
5th January 2008, 03:25 PM
hey all, I have just got onto this program!

its amazing.

I signed up for a beta invite, but just wondering if anyone would have a spare invite to send me?

cheers

DJY
5th January 2008, 11:38 PM
I signed up for a beta invite, but just wondering if anyone would have a spare invite to send me?

cheers

PM me your email address and I'll get one your way.

STK
5th January 2008, 11:41 PM
LoL I have had it for soooo long now :p

Kuma
18th January 2008, 03:10 PM
Skitch is apparently now in open beta....