PDA

View Full Version : New Phone

benzoenator
21st June 2007, 08:51 PM
So I've had my Motorola V360 for just over a year now (bought it in June hols last year). It's starting to crash when I close it, which is annoying when you've just sent a text, and waiting for ten minutes for a reply, notice that the message hasn't even sent yet.

Consequently, I've decided a new phone is in order. I've looked around, and can't see anything that gets me excited yet. I'm looking for anything under $150, as I'm still at school. Probably won't be getting an iPhone when they're released in '08, so I'd like this one to last me awhile.

Any suggestions?

stama
21st June 2007, 09:11 PM
Sony Ericsson... but most of the walkman ones will probably cost a bit more than $150 unfortunately

Not sure how the cheaper ones go

scruffie
21st June 2007, 09:13 PM
Are you planning to purchase it outright, contract, or get a prepaid phone?
$150 won't get you far with a outright phone but might get a decent one on prepaid.

silverdreamer
21st June 2007, 09:17 PM
Stay away from Nokia and Motorola. Unreliable rubbish IMHO!

I have a Samsung Z510 never had a problem since new, 18mths and still working along fine. i would be pissed to only get 12 mths out of a phone.:cool:

stama
21st June 2007, 09:19 PM
nokia's are hit and miss i find... sometimes they last long, othertimes they fail easily

fortunately the 2 I have had have both lasted around 3 yrs!

silverdreamer
21st June 2007, 09:25 PM
nokia's are hit and miss i find... sometimes they last long, othertimes they fail easily

fortunately the 2 I have had have both lasted around 3 yrs!

You can be lucky. 8 out of ten mobile phone horror stories I have heard have involved Nokia models.

lucious
21st June 2007, 09:28 PM
Get a Sony-Ericsson

benzoenator
21st June 2007, 09:32 PM
Are you planning to purchase it outright, contract, or get a prepaid phone?
$150 won't get you far with a outright phone but might get a decent one on prepaid.

Sorry, should have mentioned that! I'll be getting it prepaid, and I'll just transfer my number over to new SIM, so I can use the access time that comes with the SIM.

Yeah, can't see myself going with a Nokia, only because I've heard some stories from friends that have turned me away from them forever.

The Samsung Z510 looks rather nice, but I can't see anything about Bluetooth in the specs, which is definitely a must :(

Atomac
21st June 2007, 09:33 PM
I had a RAZR (Hello Moto?) but I have gone back to using my Sony-Ericson T610 as the Motorola had a terrible interface. The GF has a new Nokia and it seems to be a good phone, usual bells and whistles and it costs her $20/m.

Me, I would buy another Sony tomorrow.

silverdreamer
21st June 2007, 09:40 PM
Sorry, should have mentioned that! I'll be getting it prepaid, and I'll just transfer my number over to new SIM, so I can use the access time that comes with the SIM.

Yeah, can't see myself going with a Nokia, only because I've heard some stories from friends that have turned me away from them forever.

The Samsung Z510 looks rather nice, but I can't see anything about Bluetooth in the specs, which is definitely a must :(

It has Very fast Blutooth:thumbup: :)

benzoenator
21st June 2007, 09:44 PM
It has Very fast Blutooth:thumbup: :)

*slaps head* D'oh, just saw it then! Looks like a very nice phone. I'm sure it wouldn't take me forever to get use to Samsung interface...

Does anybody know if this is available from the Telstra shop or equivilant?

jubilantjeremy
21st June 2007, 09:48 PM
You can be lucky. 8 out of ten mobile phone horror stories I have heard have involved Nokia models.

Probably cause 8 out of 10 have nokias!!

- Jeremy

Sam
21st June 2007, 09:57 PM
I have a Sony Ericsson K750i. Im in love, previously I had a T610 which lasted for centuires and took a huge beating and still is okay to use.
I cant recommend SonY Ericsson Highly enough

silverdreamer
21st June 2007, 10:01 PM
*slaps head* D'oh, just saw it then! Looks like a very nice phone. I'm sure it wouldn't take me forever to get use to Samsung interface...

Does anybody know if this is available from the Telstra shop or equivilant?

yes I got mine from a Telstra shop

MrJesseRoss
21st June 2007, 10:09 PM

You realise that this will shut you out of about half the phones in the marketplace? I've used Nokias for years, and have found them to work much better than the Ericcsson and LG phones that I've also used. As Jeremy said, you're going to hear more stories of Nokia breakdowns because they account for the majority of phones sold.

There is a reason why Nokias are the most common phones - they're fairly solid and work pretty damn well. And if you're looking for a sub $150 phone, I'd say they're the brand most likely to give you a decent device for your money.:cool:

godsdice
21st June 2007, 10:10 PM
i have a palm treo 750....it was a little more then $150 though

DJY
30th June 2007, 10:03 AM
Ok the dilemma I am in...
I'm out of contract - and apparently have been for a very very long time.
Currently have a Sony Ericsson W810i. Has been ok - volume isn't great, and the quality is starting to be a bit crackly. Had to reset up my voicemail - and the quality of audio listening back to it isn't great.

My old T610 was a great phone. Much louder when held to my ear, and never had any problems.

But now - with iPhone out in the USA - and really NO true indication if or when we will actually see it here (yes sure Asia 2008... lots of people alleging a 3G version... but in reality - it isn't here now and won't be in the immediate future.)

So I'm currently on Telstra (now business casual).
Haven't been keeping current with phones or networks beyond
Next G seems very hit and miss and expensive?

Any recommendations / ideas of a good quality phone - price not really a factor - but also stay GSM move to Next G, switch to 3 (unlikely unless a very strong case . lots of benefits were there)?

Currawong
30th June 2007, 10:24 AM
I have a Motorola V3x and V3xx, both of which are ok. You can easily replace or update the software in them. The earlier V3's definitely sucked.

LG generally have a bad rep too, maybe for the same reason, that earlier models sucked in various ways.

silverdreamer
30th June 2007, 10:45 AM
Ok the dilemma I am in...
I'm out of contract - and apparently have been for a very very long time.
Currently have a Sony Ericsson W810i. Has been ok - volume isn't great, and the quality is starting to be a bit crackly. Had to reset up my voicemail - and the quality of audio listening back to it isn't great.

My old T610 was a great phone. Much louder when held to my ear, and never had any problems.

But now - with iPhone out in the USA - and really NO true indication if or when we will actually see it here (yes sure Asia 2008... lots of people alleging a 3G version... but in reality - it isn't here now and won't be in the immediate future.)

So I'm currently on Telstra (now business casual).
Haven't been keeping current with phones or networks beyond
Next G seems very hit and miss and expensive?

Any recommendations / ideas of a good quality phone - price not really a factor - but also stay GSM move to Next G, switch to 3 (unlikely unless a very strong case . lots of benefits were there)?

Next G is fine, Samsung do a nice line of comfortable and easy to use flip Phone. I have the Z510, great phone. Would personally stay away from Nokia or Motorola.

DJY
30th June 2007, 04:51 PM
I am keen to stay away from Nokia and Motorola!

Still half hoping it is possible to somehow get the new iPhone working on a non AT&T network... even without visual voicemail!
Will be watching the web keenly this week - and watching Ozimac when he gets back with his iPhone!

nicwithsticks
30th June 2007, 05:33 PM
I used to be a Sony Ericsson man, my most recent purchase from them being the k800i. It has broken 3 times, and is almost out of the initial 12 month warranty. I have strong doubts that it will last the next 12 months of my contract. My sister has the SE Z520i on Vodafone, it is a few months out of its 1 year warranty and has broken 4 times.

I was a big supporter of SE phones, but these two cases have made me think twice. My next phone will be the iPhone obviously, but I'll be telling my sister to get a Nokia for her next phone.

entropy
30th June 2007, 06:12 PM
I used to be a Sony Ericsson man, my most recent purchase from them being the k800i. It has broken 3 times, and is almost out of the initial 12 month warranty. I have strong doubts that it will last the next 12 months of my contract. My sister has the SE Z520i on Vodafone, it is a few months out of its 1 year warranty and has broken 4 times.

I was a big supporter of SE phones, but these two cases have made me think twice. My next phone will be the iPhone obviously, but I'll be telling my sister to get a Nokia for her next phone.

Getting a nokia would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The SE interface is far superior to nokia or ha! motorola. the 610 was one of the best phones eva! Just got rid of a nokia and went back to SE - W300i flip phone. Sound is pretty good, but I have had to reboot a couple of times. i think it doesn't like being connected to my work xp box.

Exocet
30th June 2007, 06:33 PM
Next G is fine, Samsung do a nice line of comfortable and easy to use flip Phone. I have the Z510, great phone. Would personally stay away from Nokia or Motorola.

The A701 is very similar to the Z510, both excellent phones. The A801 is a sexy slider too.

Mctastic
30th June 2007, 06:46 PM
I'm onto my 7th Nokia, .. and as far as smart goes, they're leading the way. The Phony interface & control just don't compare.

Peter Wells
30th June 2007, 07:31 PM
i think nokia are great. i had to buy 5 cheap bluetooth fones from the major companies, and the nokia was easily the best.

samsung: really pretty, awful menu, really slow response time.

sony: beautiful looking, decent menu, no memory, no expandable memory

motorola razr : impossible to sms with, style over substance, no memory,

lg : nice looking, expandable memory, peice of shit to use, and a bit broke off it on the second day (and it hadnt even gone outside.

nokia: not as pretty as the sony, but a decent candy bar phone. best menu, fastest loading, expandable to 2 gig.

i'll edit this post on moday with the model numbers and pretty pictures.

nighteyes
30th June 2007, 08:01 PM
I've been using both the SE K750i and SE K700i recently and I really like both phones. The K750i has a better camera and a memory card. I suppose it really depends on what you want to use it for.

decryption
30th June 2007, 08:05 PM
I've had about 10 phones over the years - 1 Seimens, 1 Sony Ericcson. Hated them both. The rest have been various Nokia models that I've liked. So Nokia gets the thumbs up from me :D