PDA

View Full Version : Bonjour Printers + Parallels

gehenna
21st June 2007, 07:21 PM
hi there

I've just tried to set up a brother laser printer on my macbook under parallels using the bonjour printer wizard but nothing is showing up in the available printers list.

i know that the printer is sharing okay, because i was able to add it to os x on the macbook with no problems.

does anyone know what may be going wrong here? The printer is directly connected to my imac but its required for my gf to be able to print uni documents from within parallels and ms office.

any help appreciated.

kabyn
21st June 2007, 07:40 PM
I had a similar problem with my setup. I got around it by creating a login in WIndows with the same username as on my mac (the default in parallels had been Administrator). And then the bonjour worked fine.

I think the mac needs the windows user to have an account on the mac before it will let it see the printer.

gehenna
22nd June 2007, 08:16 AM
I had a similar problem with my setup. I got around it by creating a login in WIndows with the same username as on my mac (the default in parallels had been Administrator). And then the bonjour worked fine.

I think the mac needs the windows user to have an account on the mac before it will let it see the printer.

i don't quite follow your meaning there. the windows session in parallels needs a username the same as the mac? that seems weird, especially considering this would be the 2nd printer i've added to windows using bonjour printer setup. the first printer added fine and is a working deskjet that she uses for colour prints, but i can't get the laser to appear in the bonjour list at all. could it be that its not supported or something? its a brother hl2040 i think

kabyn
22nd June 2007, 05:42 PM
i don't quite follow your meaning there. the windows session in parallels needs a username the same as the mac? that seems weird, especially considering this would be the 2nd printer i've added to windows using bonjour printer setup. the first printer added fine and is a working deskjet that she uses for colour prints, but i can't get the laser to appear in the bonjour list at all. could it be that its not supported or something? its a brother hl2040 i think

heh. I just tested my parallels windows account with a different username and it worked this time. I don't know what happened the first time I tried to set up printing. Mind you, it was parallels on my wife's macbook trying to access the printer attached to my mac mini, so maybe it was a network thing. Maybe all I needed was a reboot!? Sorry for the false lead.

I've googled the hl2040 a little, and it seems to support it. Have you tried turning firewalls, etc, off while you're setting it up?