PDA

View Full Version : .ASX files?

iThinkMac
21st June 2007, 11:14 AM
I've got a chemistry course which uses a web-based interface to play some .asx video files. I presume these play in QuickTime, but when it launches quicktime to play the video, it says it can't be opened. Am I lacking a plugin?

BTW, I believe it uses the Flip4Mac plugin to play. Also, I've only had this trouble after installing Safari 3.:confused:

purana
21st June 2007, 11:17 AM
.asx is some format on Windows.. I remember Windows Media Player would play it if I had the correct codec installed.

EDIT: have you tried using VLC?

iThinkMac
21st June 2007, 11:32 AM
Uhmm...no, I haven't tried VLC yet. I'll give it a go.

smdnetau
21st June 2007, 11:58 AM
.asx it's a weird streaming format i think.

geektechnu
21st June 2007, 12:17 PM
ASX is the Windows Media streaming format.
It will contain either a video stream in WMV format, or a playlist linking to ASF/WMV files.

If the filesize seems unusually small (only a few kb), it's most likely a playlist.
If that's the case you can drop the file into textedit to reveal the actual locations of the video files. If you're lucky the linked files will be HTTP:// urls that should be downloadable. In some cases the urls are MMS:// which cannot be downloaded by a web browser.

iThinkMac
21st June 2007, 12:42 PM
Yep, only 4kb. When I open it in Text Edit, it says:

<ASX version="3.0">
<Entry>
<ref HREF="intro.mpg" />
</Entry>
</ASX>

So obviously its an mpg file, but I still don't know where it's located.

PS If it helps, the course was designed to run off the disc, but I just copied it to my HD, and as I said, all worked fine, except now - the only difference I can think off is the Safari 3.

geektechnu
21st June 2007, 01:46 PM
Looking at the code, "intro.mpg" should be in the same folder as the original ASX file.

Are you trying to use Safari 3 to view it? Could just be some plugin incompatability - it is beta software after all.

spilla
21st June 2007, 01:55 PM
Have you tried opening the stream with Windows Media Player?

iThinkMac
23rd June 2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys. It's all fixed.

purana
23rd June 2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys. It's all fixed.

By what method, so that the next person who asks and searches (and finds this thread) knows how to fix it themselves.

jimdrum
21st January 2008, 03:03 PM
After trying lots of other players, I downloaded VLC media player, and cut and pasted the URL for the .asx file into the window that opens when you go to 'file', then 'open network....'
This worked!
Windows Media Player is supposed to be able to play these files on a Mac, but doesn't. Microsoft 'Help' files were no help at all.