PDA

View Full Version : top of the range powerbook?

adsis1
21st January 2005, 08:23 PM
hey guys i jus wanna get sum feedback on the powerbooks...
im studying a multimedia course at the moment and will be doing a video editing course soon after.... im thinking of purchasing either a
15" or 17" powerbook with
1GB of RAM
hard drive at 5400rpm
and 128MB of video memory
what do you guys think of these powerbooks?
i know they arent as powerful as the G5s but i will get one of those after my studies i think...

josh64
22nd January 2005, 12:27 AM
The 1.5 GHz g4 is a very speedy chip.

However, a lot of companies now show the powerbooks as End of Life so you would be better off waiting for the next revision which shouldn't be too far away. You could then probably get a current generation powerbook with a nice discount, or get a nice new one :)

Ozi
22nd January 2005, 12:36 AM
Yeah they rock but you are better waiting a while. :D

Give it a few months and new ones will have arrived.

see: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Exocet
22nd January 2005, 04:28 AM
Bugger a few months, it should be here within weeks :o

suryo
22nd January 2005, 06:44 AM
I would personally go for a 15" in a few weeks when the time is right. The 17" seems too thin, kinda' fragile and a bit bulky to carry around. For the same price as a 17", you could get a 15" plus a nice huge monitor to plug into it when you're at your desk.

moo
22nd January 2005, 09:21 AM
I have one of the Albooks: 1.5, 64 video, 4200rpm, 1.5gig RAM - got it last June.
Works fine for me and multitasks well; do some video editing on it - only short movies 7-10 minutes in length using Final Cut Pro. It's good enough but no speed demon. But I need portability.

As the guys at Barefeats say: " Unless you are forced to edit in the field, the PowerBook G4 is a bad choice for a Final Cut Pro "editing station."
http://www.barefeats.com/fcp4.html

I also use my Albook for Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Flash and it handles those apps well.

But as the others have said wait for the new speedbumped models as the current ones have been (unofficially?) EOL'd.

frenchtoast
22nd January 2005, 09:54 AM
I would say all people who follow apple product announcements would never recommend buying a powerbook now. Although an upgrade my not be imminent, it is most definately long overdue

snax
22nd January 2005, 11:19 AM
Damn you exocet.

Oh well mate, enjoy it - and happy birthday :)

Phillip
22nd January 2005, 11:32 AM
New ones are arriving next Tuesday or on Feb 2nd!

Exocet
22nd January 2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by snax@Jan 22 2005, 11:19 AM
Damn you exocet.

Oh well mate, enjoy it - and happy birthday :)
Oh no no no, on the contrary. It turns out I'm getting a DVD for my birthday, if you catch my drift.

snax
22nd January 2005, 12:12 PM
Good work :)

Channel supply of current PowerBook G4 models is completely dry, sources say, leading Think Secret to believe that the updated models, reported earlier this month, will probably arrive in a quiet announcement on Tuesday, January 25 or, at the latest, February 2.

The new models will boost the PowerBook G4 line from 1.33/1.5GHz to 1.5/1.67GHz. Other changes include faster hard drives, more video memory at the high end, and Bluetooth 2.0. See our January 10 report for more details.

helloroto
22nd January 2005, 12:47 PM
YAY i am looking forward to ordering my new 12" when those speed bumps come!!!

AppleXY
22nd January 2005, 05:50 PM
damn.. just got my 15" PB with a gig of ram last december! :P

glenmorrow
22nd January 2005, 07:42 PM
Yeah I'm the same, I just recently bought my 17" PowerBook, then discovered this forum. But I do need it for uni and work, and I salary packaged it, so I guess I can just upgrade next year!!

I love the machine, its fantastic. Mind you, I upgraded from a iMac G3 450mhz to this so its a big step up!!

I have a vision impairment so the 17" screen with the magnifier in OSX is excellent.

I know there are others who've bought machines recently, thing is, like someone said in a similar thread recently, the nature of the computer industry is that you buy something then the next best new thing comes out the next week. Best not to get too caught up in all that sometimes.

Glen

fairy1
24th January 2005, 07:39 PM
Hi, Everyone

I was going to start a new post but i thought naa i will probably get bagged out.
I'm a newbie and have been reading all the posts for quiet sumtime now.

Especially the one's which related to PB g4 15 inch.

I'm considering purchasing this cool notebook.

But will do so in march,,, im however a b it confused . I understand that you should buy a product based on your needs and so forth. However it would be a good suggestion to wait for awhile because of the so called rumoured updates.

Is this true that the PB G4 line 15,12,17 inch will update in memory etc. soon. If so what are your sources? is it apple themselves?

thanks people, just considering my options whether if i should wait for this so called update or just go an buy one as soon as i have the dollars to do so .

thansk heaps

spargo
24th January 2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Ozi@Jan 21 2005, 02:36 PM
Yeah they rock but you are better waiting a while. :D

Give it a few months and new ones will have arrived.

see: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
Hi Fairy1 and welcome - take a good look around 'cause there has been plenty of threads/posts in the past about deciding between the models in the PowerBook range, and also plenty of discussion on deciding between iBook and PowerBook - hell, I even think that was my first post back last year before I got my 15"!!! :lol:

But yeah, the rumours are abound about a new model or update, and while not necessarily coming directly from Apple, the site mentioned by Ozi above is what many people base their buying decisions around - it lists the life of each model release, and also collates rumours and news articles related to each product and its potential for a speed bump of complete re-release/overhaul..

go see see: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

And once you buy it ('cause I know you will!!), stick around because there's a lot to learn from the people in here and on the IRC -

fairy1
26th January 2005, 07:47 PM
hey thanks spargo.

Will definetly be purchasing my G4 in march then.

The quote i recieved was alright i guess. $4128 :) lol. Pricey Hope its worth it.

It includes airport base station, powerbook sleeve, and Soundstiks 2 and offcourse the PB G4 15 inch.

wat do you all wreckon? is that a good quote? the quote is from nextbyte.

Mainly i will be surfing the net. downloading music and transferring them onto Cd's , as well as transferring and storing photo's so i wont have to buy SD cards.
and ofcourse the usual word excel docs.

i will be taking my PB g4 overseas in the end of the year. That will be nice :) i had a look around at some laptop cases and came across.\

* A silver hard case
* An executive lovely looking laptop case that was not the usual zip up it was a click on thingy .

* And a Targus messenger case.
* Also they sell laptop backpacks in ofice works for $30.

The silver case is i think really really good because its a hardcase but im not sure..
I think out of 3 i will choose the executive one and the backpack from officeworks.

But im worried because i wreckon the hardcase will actually protect the laptop more better. :blink:

So is it really that easy to make home videos on the pb ? like totally plug and play??

thanks for the comments.

** fairy **

Aleisha
30th January 2005, 03:30 PM
I'm thinking of upgrading to a powerbook at the moment and as it most likely will have to last me through uni I want the best one I can get. If the new models come out soon what sort of difference do you think there will be in the prices?

adsis1
1st February 2005, 09:12 PM
KooL thanks guys for teLLing me to wait haha
i think im gonna get a NEW 17" Powerbook with 1 gig of RAM for onli $4000 coz im a student haha thats kool..

Ozi
1st February 2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by adsis1@Feb 1 2005, 10:12 PM
KooL thanks guys for teLLing me to wait haha
i think im gonna get a NEW 17" Powerbook with 1 gig of RAM for onli $4000 coz im a student haha thats kool..
yeah waiting surely was the way to go! I suggest buy now, as it will be a long time before the next update, and its well worth buying right away so you get the longest possible amount of time with a top-of-the-line powerbook. :D

Originally posted by fairy1@Jan 26 2005, 08:47 PM

hey thanks spargo.

Will definetly be purchasing my G4 in march then.

The quote i recieved was alright i guess. $4128 :) lol. Pricey Hope its worth it.

Yeah its worth it: you will have an awesome computer and some kick butt accessories. I would recommend that you look around for quotes from different resellers first, though. :)

Currawong
2nd February 2005, 09:09 AM
Check out Apple Australia (http://www.apple.com.au) now. They've just been updated.

Hobart
2nd February 2005, 09:23 AM
the powerbooks indeed rock but they are going to be out of date, but when they do come out that usually means that the prices will be up but go down after a while.

adsis1
2nd February 2005, 01:45 PM
i wanna upgrade the RAM in the powerbook im gonnna buy....do yous recomend RAM from apple or can i use other RAM chips???
i was told at a nextbyte store that other RAM causes probs??

purana
2nd February 2005, 02:50 PM
Other ram.. but that has been qualified for the machine...

The ram sold by epowermac.com.au is reasonably priced.. and is qualified to work in the machines..