PDA

View Full Version : iChat major issues

rickyd
19th June 2007, 07:44 PM
Hi there,

iChat voice and video chats will not work because of the ports on my AirPort Extreme (yep i hate the darn thing) and now I have plugged in my ADSL connection straight into my iMac, it still will not work.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why?
Thanks,
Ricky.

luke_in_tas
19th June 2007, 08:04 PM
Need a bit more info. How exactly are you connected to the Internet? I'm guessing your ADSL modem is also a NAT router? If so that is probably your problem. iChat is a bit picky about the NAT routers it works with.

I'd be surprised if your AirPort Extreme had anything to do with the problem. Apple make them to be compatible with iChat (or iChat to be compatible with them). Plus the fact iChat audio/video chats won't connect when your modem is connected directly to your computer would support this.

If the problem is in fact the NAT router built into your modem, you might find some answers here (http://www.ralphjohnsuk.dsl.pipex.com/page3.html). Personally though, I've never had much luck with port forwarding and have usually found it easier for networks I've set up, or helped to set up, to simply buy a router that is known to be compatible with iChat.

There is also the issue of whether the problem is at your end of the connection or at the end of the other party you are trying to talk to. A problem at one, the other, or both can lead to audio/video chats now working. For more on testing this see here (http://homepage.mac.com/luke.manhood/blog/files/2006-08-iChat-video-testing.html).

gilligan911
19th June 2007, 08:06 PM
Is it the firewall on your Mac? Try turning it off under the "sharing" pref pane.

Galumay
19th June 2007, 08:15 PM
in the end its just easier to use Skype, quality is not quite as good but iChat is just such flaky software and so sensitive to the hardware setups and configurations that it is almost impossible to get it working in many cases. Apple have known about the failings of iChat AV for a long time and dont seem to have shown any interest in releasing a less buggy version.

rickyd
19th June 2007, 08:25 PM
There is no NAT router connected, just an ADSL connection from the modem from the phone line. The firewall is turned off.

luke_in_tas
19th June 2007, 08:34 PM
There is no NAT router connected, just an ADSL connection from the modem from the phone line. The firewall is turned off.

What kind of ADSL modem? Is it connected by USB or Ethernet?

Does the modem make the PPPoE connection to your ISP or is it set in bridge mode with the PPPoE connection being done from OS X? If the PPPoE connection is set from the modem then your modem probably is a NAT router.

adamjc
19th June 2007, 08:55 PM
I know this isn't productive to the thread, but I just have to say it...iChat would be one of the worst pieces of Apple Software.

I could never get Video or Voice chats to work with my iSight that after 6 months of endless calls to Apple Tech support and looking up info on the net I ended up giving up and selling the iSight.

Not even Apple knew how to fix it and get it working. Most of the time they would say it is a known issue that many users cannot get it working.

And yes I had all the correct ports open!

It's a shame because if it wasn't so picky it would be a great Application.

Sorry again, but had to say it...I hope you have better luck than I did.

Devil
19th June 2007, 09:30 PM
That's weird because I have almost always found iChat to be the easiest solution. In my eyes, it showed the world how easy video conferencing can be.

In the situations where it didn't 'just work', using fixed IP address' and port forwarding solved the problems.

Everyone should just run their own VPN server :D

luke_in_tas
19th June 2007, 09:41 PM
iChat does suffer from connection issues with some network setups, but overall I think it's a great application. I have no problem at all doing audio/video chats to friends and family across Australia and overseas. Plus when I travelled to the US in January I used it via the network connections in the hotels I stayed to talk to people back home.

If you can overcome any network issue that may be preventing connections I think you'll be glad you persevered. Plus, once you get it working it should continue to work. In my experience iChat doesn't usually suffer from intermittent problems.

Galumay
19th June 2007, 09:42 PM
In the situations where it didn't 'just work', using fixed IP address' and port forwarding solved the problems.

Everyone should just run their own VPN server :D

thats part of whats wrong with iChat AV - you might be able and willing to do those things, i certainly was in an effort to get it going - but many of the people i wanted to use iChat with had no interest in and no ability to fiddle with techy stuff like that.

so we just use Skype - and it just works, unlike iChat AV.

zbaron
19th June 2007, 09:48 PM
Welcome to a world of protocols that were designed with a true peer to peer Internet in mind. Nearly all audio / video protocols, including H.323 and SIP -- which iChat AV uses for session establishment -- and NAT do not play well at all.

iChat AV also likes to have at least 128k of outbound bandwidth at both ends before it will establish an audio or video connection.

rickyd
19th June 2007, 10:07 PM
What kind of ADSL modem? Is it connected by USB or Ethernet?

Does the modem make the PPPoE connection to your ISP or is it set in bridge mode with the PPPoE connection being done from OS X? If the PPPoE connection is set from the modem then your modem probably is a NAT router.

To be honest, I'm not all familiar with this stuff. Its just the standard "speedtouch" modem BigPond sent to me :confused:

I want my AirPort to activate this thing called "NAT", which will allow me to manually open ports on the Base Station. In order to do this I need to activate Connection Settings to "Share a public IP address". If I do select this, my ADSL will not work.

Thanks, Ricky.

skekum
20th June 2007, 07:30 PM
Thats your problem. Bigpond have a 2 level security level in their modems (that they supply). Level 1 is the level that you can get to by logging in, Level 2 is one you can't get at. They block certain ports to stop you using technology such as iChat and VOIP. Specifically port 5060.

My brother and sister in law were having problems with iChat and VOIP and after much fussing worked out that it was the modem that was supplied by Optus and Telstra.

You have to alter the SIP protocol in the modem.

Go to this website http://www.ralphjohnsuk.dsl.pipex.com/page4a.html and it explains how to do it.

You have to use the terminal to hack into the modem but it is very easy. As soon as I did this to both modems, everything worked as it should.

VOIP is costing telstra and optus BIG money at the moment and they are trying to stop you using it without their own plans.

BlowMeDown
20th June 2007, 07:34 PM
That's odd I use Telstra Bigpond and have no problems at all using iChat. I've never had to do any tweeking.:confused:

rickyd
20th June 2007, 07:37 PM
Thats your problem. Bigpond have a 2 level security level in their modems (that they supply). Level 1 is the level that you can get to by logging in, Level 2 is one you can't get at. They block certain ports to stop you using technology such as iChat and VOIP. Specifically port 5060.

My brother and sister in law were having problems with iChat and VOIP and after much fussing worked out that it was the modem that was supplied by Optus and Telstra.

You have to alter the SIP protocol in the modem.

Go to this website http://www.ralphjohnsuk.dsl.pipex.com/page4a.html and it explains how to do it.

You have to use the terminal to hack into the modem but it is very easy. As soon as I did this to both modems, everything worked as it should.

VOIP is costing telstra and optus BIG money at the moment and they are trying to stop you using it without their own plans.

That's the thing though. It always used to work before I got the AEBS... :confused:

skekum
20th June 2007, 07:41 PM
How long have you been with Bigpond, they might have only been doing this recently.

I use the Airport Extreme Base station and have never had trouble with iChat. Have you "Port forwarded" port 5060 in the bas station to point to your computer?

luke_in_tas
20th June 2007, 07:46 PM
To be honest, I'm not all familiar with this stuff. Its just the standard "speedtouch" modem BigPond sent to me :confused:

I want my AirPort to activate this thing called "NAT", which will allow me to manually open ports on the Base Station. In order to do this I need to activate Connection Settings to "Share a public IP address". If I do select this, my ADSL will not work.

Thanks, Ricky.

You still haven't given me quite enough information to be sure how your system is set up, but I'm guessing your Speedtouch modem connects to either your Mac or your AirPort router using an ethernet cable? If this is the case the modem is likely making the PPPoE or PPPoA connection to your ISP and is working as a NAT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation) router. That means the modem has two IP addresses: a public IP address visible to the Internet and a private IP address available to your internal LAN. It is probably also dishing out private IP addresses to anything you connect on the internal LAN.

There is likely an incompatibility between your modem's implementation of NAT and iChat. There a number of ways of overcoming this:

Give you Mac a static IP address on the internal intwork (it shouldn't matter whether it is connected directly to your modem or via your AirPort) and then configure the modem/router to forward the appropriate ports to this IP address (for more on this see here (http://www.ralphjohnsuk.dsl.pipex.com/page3.html));
Set you modem/router into 'bridge mode' and then configure you AirPort router to establish the PPPoE connection to your ISP. You won't need to worry about port forwarding with this option, as the AirPort's implementation of NAT is compatible with iChat (for info on configuring your modem/router you'll probably need to have a look at its manual); and
Buy a new modem/router that is known to be compatible with iChat. Apple list a number of compatible routers here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93333), but there are numerous others that are compatible as well. I'm sure people here can give you advice to devices that work 'out-of-the-box' without needing any port forwarding.

rickyd
20th June 2007, 07:46 PM
For about 2 years now. As I said before, my current internet config will not allow me to port forward under the NAT tab.

Ricky.

luke_in_tas
20th June 2007, 07:50 PM
If you Speedtouch modem/router is providing the NAT service that is where you need to forward the appropriate ports, not on the AirPort.

I'd say the problem is likely the Speedtouch. My father is with Telstra and had similar problems. I replaced his modem with a Belkin Wireless G modem/router and he has had no problems since.

rickyd
20th June 2007, 07:56 PM
Okay. So, would you happen to know how I would forward these ports via the Speedtouch "control panel"?? I just typed in my IP and it came up with some config window.

Thanks for all ur help so far.
Ricky.

luke_in_tas
20th June 2007, 08:13 PM
Okay. So, would you happen to know how I would forward these ports via the Speedtouch "control panel"?? I just typed in my IP and it came up with some config window.

Thanks for all ur help so far.
Ricky.

I'm not sure. Different modems are configured differently. You might want to have a look in the manual that came with it or in the support section of the manufacturers web site.

Another alternative would be to have a look here (http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm). Select you Speedtouch model from under the "Thomson-Alcatel" heading and on the resulting page look for iChat. It should give you some instructions on what you need to do.

If you aren't very familiar with this sort of stuff you might also want to see if there are any MacTalk members who live near you who might be able to give you a hand.

rickyd
20th June 2007, 08:22 PM
That doesn't work...hah. Nothing but trouble.
I want to try activate "Share a public IP address" in the Connections Sharing settings in the AirPort Extreme. However, I am prompted with all this DHCP stuff...

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ricky.

luke_in_tas
20th June 2007, 08:35 PM
That doesn't work...hah. Nothing but trouble.
I want to try activate "Share a public IP address" in the Connections Sharing settings in the AirPort Extreme. However, I am prompted with all this DHCP stuff...

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ricky.

You can't share a public IP address from your AirPort if your Speedtouch is making the PPPoE/PPPoA connection to your iSP as your AirPort doesn't have a public IP address! While the Speedtouch is making the PPPoE/PPPoA connection it is the only device with a public IP address. Everything else has a private IP address, including the AirPort.

To give you AirPort a public IP address which it can share you first need to set the Speedtouch into 'bridge mode'. Once you have done that you need to configure you AirPort to connect to your ISP using PPPoE (the AirPort manual will have instruction on doing this—or see here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25286)). he default DHCP settings should then be fine. You also won't need to worry about port forwarding with this setup, as the AirPorts implementation of NAT is compatible with iChat. You only need to use port forwarding with incompatible routers.

Galumay
20th June 2007, 09:09 PM
ricky,

i hate to poor cold water on your efforts, but even if you get iChat AV working your end then you will discover like many of us that the others we want to chat to cant get it working their end - and then you have to try to convince then to work through all the trouble shooting that luke is so helpfully providing!! - how many would be bothered?

AppleSammy
20th June 2007, 09:22 PM
ricky,

i hate to poor cold water on your efforts, but even if you get iChat AV working your end then you will discover like many of us that the others we want to chat to cant get it working their end - and then you have to try to convince then to work through all the trouble shooting that luke is so helpfully providing!! - how many would be bothered?

I too remember going through similar frustrations trying to use iChat, it was posted somewhere on mactalk. Anyway, I subscribed to Skype and I have been able to video chat easily. International video chat was a pleasure - it just worked, oddly when we connected for the first time it was the feeling of an application simply working, you know, like the stuff from apple - except iChat ;)

rickyd
20th June 2007, 09:29 PM
Thank you so much!
It's working now.

I just have one question, what is this whole DHCP "lease" thing. I notice when I am connected it shows me how long I have been connected. Is DHCP some kind of server thing which allows certain people in and out?

Thank you once again. Ricky.

silverdreamer
20th June 2007, 09:32 PM
That's odd I use Telstra Bigpond and have no problems at all using iChat. I've never had to do any tweeking.:confused:

What he said:p

airport extreme with airtunes / Siemans speedstrem 4200/Telstra

Jump on the modem and get Telstra to get you a new one:)

luke_in_tas
20th June 2007, 09:33 PM
Glad to hear you got it working.

DHCP is a system that is designed to save you from having to manually enter network configuration details into your computer. A DHCP server (in your case the router) tells all the connected computers the network configuration details they need to know so that you don't have to set each computer up manually.

You can read more about it here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhcp).

rickyd
20th June 2007, 09:42 PM
So, does this lease mean I can only use it for the specified amount of time?

Cheers,
Ricky.

luke_in_tas
20th June 2007, 09:46 PM
No, the computer will automatically renew its lease before it expires. The idea of the expiry times is that if a computer on the network doesn't renew its lease before it expires (for example if it is turned off) the IP address it was allocated can then be allocated to another computer.

rickyd
27th June 2007, 09:48 PM
Okay, the problem is resolved. But now my networked printer will not work...

Any clues??
Ricky.

silverdreamer
27th June 2007, 09:52 PM
Okay, the problem is resolved. But now my networked printer will not work...

Any clues??
Ricky.

Try in printer setup utilities delete the printer then add again.

rickyd
27th June 2007, 09:53 PM
silverdreamer - I appreciate your fast response although not even the AirPort Utility can see the printer...

Ricky

silverdreamer
27th June 2007, 10:04 PM
silverdreamer - I appreciate your fast response although not even the AirPort Utility can see the printer...

Ricky

Restart then try again:) fingers crossed and tongue held to the left of mouth protruding slightly!:p

rickyd
27th June 2007, 10:21 PM
Restart the machine or the AirPort Extreme?

silverdreamer
27th June 2007, 10:26 PM
Restart the machine or the AirPort Extreme?

Wont hurt to do both. Theres a reset on the airport, need a paper clip, hold in for 5 secs.

rickyd
28th June 2007, 08:16 PM
Still doesn't work I'm afraid :(

silverdreamer
28th June 2007, 08:20 PM
Still doesn't work I'm afraid :(

Not much else I can suggest old son! Do you have applecare?

This won't help!, But it won't hurt either!:)

http://www.funnyjunk.com/movies/826/Annoying+Chick/

rickyd
28th June 2007, 08:45 PM
Hey,

I just got off the phone to Apple. They recommended unplugging the AEBS, iMac and Printer. When I reconnected, I had to restart my machine holding down "p","r","command" and "option" keys until 2 chimes sounded.

All works now :D

Thanks again,
Ricky.

silverdreamer
28th June 2007, 08:49 PM
Hey,

I just got off the phone to Apple. They recommended unplugging the AEBS, iMac and Printer. When I reconnected, I had to restart my machine holding down "p","r","command" and "option" keys until 2 chimes sounded.

All works now :D

Thanks again,
Ricky.

Cool Bananas, but did ya like the chicken!:p ...and did it help?

rickyd
28th June 2007, 08:55 PM
Cool Bananas, but did ya like the chicken!:p ...and did it help?

LOL. Yes...the chicken did come in helpful :rolleyes: :p

Ricky.