PDA

View Full Version : Apple ups iPhone battery life

Johnny Appleseed
18th June 2007, 11:24 PM
iPhone Delivers Up to Eight Hours of Talk Time

Now Features Durable Glass Top Surface

CUPERTINO, California—June 18, 2007—Apple® today announced that iPhone™ will deliver significantly longer battery life when it ships on June 29 than was originally estimated when iPhone was unveiled in January. iPhone will feature up to 8 hours of talk time, 6 hours of Internet use, 7 hours of video playback or 24 hours of audio playback.* In addition, iPhone will feature up to 250 hours—more than 10 days—of standby time. Apple also announced that the entire top surface of iPhone, including its stunning 3.5-inch display, has been upgraded from plastic to optical-quality glass to achieve a superior level of scratch resistance and optical clarity.

“With 8 hours of talk time, and 24 hours of audio playback, iPhone’s battery life is longer than any other ‘Smartphone’ and even longer than most MP3 players,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We’ve also upgraded iPhone’s entire top surface from plastic to optical-quality glass for superior scratch resistance and clarity. There has never been a phone like iPhone, and we can't wait to get this truly magical product into the hands of customers starting just 11 days from today.”

iPhone introduces an entirely new user interface based on a revolutionary multi-touch display and pioneering new software that allows users to control iPhone with just a tap, flick or pinch of their fingers. iPhone combines three products into one small and lightweight handheld device—a revolutionary mobile phone, a widescreen iPod, and the Internet in your pocket with best-ever applications on a mobile phone for email, web browsing and maps. iPhone ushers in an era of software power and sophistication never before seen in a mobile device, which completely redefines what users can do on their mobile phones.

Pricing and Availability
iPhone will be available in the US on June 29, 2007 in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for $599 (US), and will work with either a PC or Mac®. iPhone will be sold in the US through Apple’s retail and online stores, and through AT&T’s select retail stores.

*All Battery claims are dependent upon network configuration and many other factors; actual results may vary. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information. Music capacity is based on four minutes per song and 128-Kbps AAC encoding; actual capacity varies by content.

forgie
18th June 2007, 11:27 PM
That's ALL good news. :)

I'm just waiting for them to announce that they will actually ship with 8GB and 16GB. I wouldn't be surprised if they waited a month or two to make the maximum bucks out of the hype they've created.

decryption
18th June 2007, 11:31 PM
That's ALL good news. :)

I'm just waiting for them to announce that they will actually ship with 8GB and 16GB. I wouldn't be surprised if they waited a month or two to make the maximum bucks out of the hype they've created.

I reckon by the time they hit here we'll have 8 and 16gb models for sure.

This talk of 8 hour battery makes me want one even more :(

Johnny Appleseed
18th June 2007, 11:32 PM
I reckon by the time they hit here we'll have 8 and 16gb models for sure.

And hopefully 3G!

faulks
18th June 2007, 11:47 PM
That battery life is insane! Bring it on I say:thumbup:

nicwithsticks
19th June 2007, 12:01 AM
I want this phone!

By the time it gets here it will have to be 3G - it would be a major oversight by Apple to not include a feature such as that.

That being said, we can never be sure. I truly hope the iPhone we get here next year is a rev. B handset sporting this, among other cool features.

iPhone in Aus - let the countdown begin!

scritch
19th June 2007, 12:49 AM
I find it intersting in the competitor comparison chart they state the N95 doesn't have WiFi, when in fact it has 802.11g WiFi...

oh and they of course don't mention that the N95 also has a Webkit-based browser... and GPS... and expandable memory... and user-accessible battery... and support for 3rd party apps... and 3g HSDPA... and good Mac support... and it's available now in Australia.

Oh well - I'm loving my N95 especially with the new Nokia Media Transfer for Mac (http://europe.nokia.com/A4423135).

Regards,
Shane.

xfodder
19th June 2007, 01:12 AM
I find it intersting in the competitor comparison chart they state the N95 doesn't have WiFi, when in fact it has 802.11g WiFi...

oh and they of course don't mention that the N95 also has a Webkit-based browser... and GPS... and expandable memory... and user-accessible battery... and support for 3rd party apps... and 3g HSDPA... and good Mac support... and it's available now in Australia.

Oh well - I'm loving my N95 especially with the new Nokia Media Transfer for Mac (http://europe.nokia.com/A4423135).

Regards,
Shane.

the n95 is rubbish :P and i thought the n95 uses opera for the browser ...

The Fluffy Duck
19th June 2007, 01:19 AM

Oh well - I'm loving my N95 especially with the new Nokia Media Transfer for Mac.

But Dont you see its not 11.4 mm thin! :p

iMic
19th June 2007, 01:28 AM

The chart in the press release looks to have been updated. It now states the N95 does have WiFi.

http://images.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/competitivedatachart2.jpg

BLINDER
19th June 2007, 06:45 AM
I think irrespective of the specs of the device now - what will the number of sales be in the first month and first 12 months?
Undoubtedly they'll be adding more to the device every now and again.
In 3 generations it'll be barely recognisable from what it is now - with 16 - 32 - 64GB drives? Additional apps. Functionality w/ Apple TV? .....

Edit: Still amazes me that SMH does the work for Apple with the latest announcement online now - iphone specs (http://www.smh.com.au/news/phones--pdas/last-minute-adjustments-to-iphone-specs/2007/06/19/1182019063397.html)

mechcon
19th June 2007, 07:44 AM
Apple said they'll go to 3G for the asian market... no need to "hope"....

spargo
19th June 2007, 09:01 AM
Now I will buy a replacement battery for my V3, to make it last through 'til Australia's iPhone D-Day - up until now the iPhone battery life was a deal breaker and I wasn't going to bother.

Although, doesn't glass front mean more fragile?

Evad
19th June 2007, 09:04 AM
Nice - Now we have to play the waiting game till they arrive here.

entropy
19th June 2007, 01:22 PM
I think the only remaining signficant announcement (aside from that the iphonewill make my morning coffee :) ) is the subscription rates with AT&T.
If the iphone subscription is less than for other phones (and it should be if the phone is not subsidised) all hell will break loose.

forgie
19th June 2007, 01:26 PM
Now I will buy a replacement battery for my V3, to make it last through 'til Australia's iPhone D-Day - up until now the iPhone battery life was a deal breaker and I wasn't going to bother.

Although, doesn't glass front mean more fragile?
Glass may be more brittle, but it's harder. So it won't get little scratches. The weight of an iPhone dropping to the ground will not be enough to shatter the glass (hopefully) - so the only way that you can damage the screen will be to have it grinding against your keys quite hard, or to have something with weight fall on top of it. Either way, a plastic screen would also get damaged. I can't think of a single situation in which plastic would better then glass for this application (except maybe that plastic is lighter).

hawker
19th June 2007, 01:46 PM
anyone see this: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21926970-38198,00.html

spargo
19th June 2007, 02:00 PM
anyone see this: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21926970-38198,00.html

yeah, saw it in The Times where it was written.

gpillans
19th June 2007, 02:12 PM
I can't think of a single situation in which plastic would better then glass for this application (except maybe that plastic is lighter).
Actually I can... (and the same goes for watch faces too):

Plastic displays when they become quite scratched can be polished back a little to remove the scratches, however glass displays cannot, and so once there is a scratch - it aint coming off.

This is according to a watchmaker in Canberra whom I get to do all of my watch repairs. My old watch had a plastic face which he polished for me before I sold it (looked almost new!), and when I brought him my new watch (with a glass face) to be polished he said it can't be done, and the whole face has to be replaced (waaay to expensive!).

stacky
19th June 2007, 11:26 PM
Also, wouldn't glass get worse fingerprints than plastic? And what happened to that 'rubberised' plastic that Pogue said was on the model he saw. I guess it just didn't work as expected.

Being new here, I haven't seen other discussions on the iPhone, but i have a question. Who will be the provider in Australia? I assume there will be a similar contract, but Telstra, Optus, Vodafone, or someone else?

Joe90
20th June 2007, 12:12 AM

Regards,
Shane.

I like the specs on the N95.

BlowMeDown
20th June 2007, 12:16 AM
It's nice and all, but over the weekend I saw the Bang & Olufsen mobile phone called the Serene Mobile (http://www.bang-olufsen.com/page.asp?id=54) and while it doesn't look like much on the web site, in real life it's amazing. It evens opens itself :eek:

The Fluffy Duck
20th June 2007, 12:52 AM
But Glass? man im fucked you know how often i drop my phone. Given that its going to be 3.5 inches of glass can anybody say "Crack, Shatter, Class action"?

stacky
20th June 2007, 09:31 AM
It's nice and all, but over the weekend I saw the Bang & Olufsen mobile phone called the Serene Mobile (http://www.bang-olufsen.com/page.asp?id=54) and while it doesn't look like much on the web site, in real life it's amazing. It evens opens itself :eek:

That's the phone Woz uses. It looks really awkward with that square form factor.

OziMac
20th June 2007, 09:36 AM
But Glass? man im fucked you know how often i drop my phone. Given that its going to be 3.5 inches of glass can anybody say "Crack, Shatter, Class action"?

Hate to say it Fluffy, but if you drop your phone and then complain about it breaking, most judges are going to laugh you out of court, no matter how many people do it.

That said, I do hope it can survive all that - I expect Ars Technica (or even SmashmyiPhone) to have done some extensive stress testing on release. :)

BlowMeDown
20th June 2007, 09:37 AM
That's the phone Woz uses. It looks really awkward with that square form factor.

You know at first I thought the same thing, but it's actually not awkward at all. It's very light weight. I'm planning on buying it.

benixau
29th July 2008, 11:35 PM
<snip>
iPhone will feature up to 250 hours—more than 10 days—of standby time.
<snip>

*whistles* what a smart phone, shame my blackberry can't do that *swims out of sarcasm ocean*

OT:wonder if anybody has done a complete BB v iP 3G pricing comparison including mobile me for push (if they have can you PM me a link please)

Madone
30th July 2008, 12:01 AM
*whistles* what a smart phone, shame my blackberry can't do that *swims out of sarcasm ocean*

OT:wonder if anybody has done a complete BB v iP 3G pricing comparison including mobile me for push (if they have can you PM me a link please)

Haven't done anything formal, but until July 11th I had a Blackberry Pearl

Pearl Plan (Vodafone) $79 Cap ($600 of calls 100 free sms's, Internet at $1 for 5 mins) + $50 for unlimited email. Contacts and Calender required the purchase of an application to sync $50 (Missing Sync)
Total each month $129 x 12 = $1548 + $50 = $1598

iPhone Plan (Vodafone) $119 cap (800 of calls (same cost structure as above plan) 100 free sms's, 500 mb of data) I use mobileme, but don't you don't need to, to use this phone. Can sync with iTunes, free to all.
Total each month $119 x 12 = $1428

Saving a year $170 dollars.

Oh there is a independant test down on battery life and the 3G iPhone has beaten all over 3 G phones.

benixau
30th July 2008, 08:04 AM
Haven't done anything formal, but until July 11th I had a Blackberry Pearl

Pearl Plan (Vodafone) $79 Cap ($600 of calls 100 free sms's, Internet at $1 for 5 mins) + $50 for unlimited email. Contacts and Calender required the purchase of an application to sync $50 (Missing Sync)
Total each month $129 x 12 = $1548 + $50 = $1598

iPhone Plan (Vodafone) $119 cap (800 of calls (same cost structure as above plan) 100 free sms's, 500 mb of data) I use mobileme, but don't you don't need to, to use this phone. Can sync with iTunes, free to all.
Total each month $119 x 12 = $1428

Saving a year $170 dollars.

Oh there is a independant test down on battery life and the 3G iPhone has beaten all over 3 G phones.

Currently VF is offering a deal where you can get the blackberry for free and the first 6 months access for half price. So ...

Pearl/Curve: $109 Combined Cap ($79 business cap ($550 worth of stuff) + $30 unlimited email and all internet through blackberry servers (practically all apps do this)). Currently 50% off for the first 6 months of access. Plus Missing Sync (cause Pocketmac which is free and included is pretty sucky).

Total (normally): $109 x 24 + $50 = $2666
Total (with 50% off): $54.5 x 6 + $109 x 18 + $50 = $2339

iPhone Plan (Vodafone) $99 cap ($600 worth of stuff + 500 mb of data) You need mobile me ($119) for push email which is included with the blackberry. Also, you will be paying either $4.13/mnth, $9.13/mnth or $99 and $219 for the 8GB and 16GB respectively.

Total: $99 x 24 + $119 = $2495
With 8GB ($99): $2594
With 16GB ($219): $2714

Saving over contract (normally):
8GB: $72
16GB: $-48

Saving over contract (with 50%):
8GB: $-255
16GB: $-375

As a guide, I used on my curve, 19MB of data last month. BUT - the blackberry servers compress data (email, web, IM, MMS) before sending it. Also, I use Opera most times for web browsing. Opera compresses the data, sends it the blackberry servers, which compress it and then it comes to my blackberry.
The iPhone does not compress data. So, your web pages and email attachments would be downloaded in full. Data usage would increase proportionally.

If you want an iPhone its not as expensive as some people say. But, its not g-d's greatest creation either and the blackberry is a viable, worthy alternative.

Now to stir some sh!t: where is MMS, copy and paste, turn by turn navigation and the camera flash on the iPhone? :P