PDA

View Full Version : Help getting "Artist" from filename when importing into iTunes

Evad
17th June 2007, 11:58 PM
Evening All,

I have a bunch of MP3's that are named according to the following convention..

Album Name - Track Number - Track Title (Artist).mp3

How can I automate taking the artist from inside the parentheses and setting this to the artist tag in itunes? Currently when I import into iTunes the whole lot "Track Tile (Artist)" is going into the Title field. I need the (Artist) bit to go into the artist tag.

I have scoured doug's itunes scripts and can find some scripts to set the file name from the tags but nothing the other way round, which is what I am after.

Any ideas?

Brains
18th June 2007, 02:09 AM
You need to make sure your MP3s are correctly ID3 tagged before letting iTunes near them.

Use one of these ID3 tag editors/managers (http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?arch=all&keywords=id3+tag&os=macosx).

B.

Evad
18th June 2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the tip Brains,

I figured I'd have to fix up the tags before letting itunes get it, but so far none of the ID3 Tag editors are powerful enough to do what I want.

The reason being is that elsewhere in the filename is another set of parentheses, so I can't even use them as a delimiter in my file rename query.

eg.

Album (occasional parentheses depending on album) - Title (Artist).mp3

Since you don't like the CLI I doubt you'll have advice regarding the possibility of a shell script to manipulate the filename looking backwards from the extension, grabbing whats inside the brackets and putting that in front of the Album.

How good are you with Automator? I can't seem to get automator to do this either..

Anyone else got any ideas?