PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy RAM?

Noodles
17th June 2007, 10:30 PM
Does anyone have any favourite places to purchase RAM (for the MacBook/Pro)?

We all know about the Apple tax but where is the most reliable place to purchase good RAM?

Thanks in advance.

jastormont
17th June 2007, 10:42 PM
Streewise!

http://www.streetwise.com.au/?osCsid=29999bd40ddf66eeaffd2c8358da0cfe

spilla
17th June 2007, 10:46 PM
Clockwork! :)

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/member.php?u=7003

jastormont
17th June 2007, 10:51 PM
Clockwork! :)

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/member.php?u=7003

What brand is it?

tcn33
17th June 2007, 10:51 PM
Clockwork +1. Highly recommended :)

decryption
17th June 2007, 10:53 PM
I just use Static Ice - www.staticice.com.au and search for the type of RAM I'm after (e.g: 1gb so-dimm 667) and buy it from wherever is cheapest (once you calculate postage and possible CC charges)

sanjay
17th June 2007, 11:02 PM
msy (www.msy.com.au)

$52 for a 1gb stick of DDR667 hynix branded SODIMM RAM.

got one qimonda and one of these hynix sticks in my HP laptop...it purrs :)

FBTN
18th June 2007, 09:50 AM
Everywhere but not Streetwise and MSY, Just make sure the Rams they are selling are certified by Apple(Meet all the specs, Inc nano second speed.)

sanjay
18th June 2007, 12:47 PM
why not MSY? my RAM hasnt skipped a beat and i always get great service from them :)

decryption
18th June 2007, 12:57 PM
MSY aren't bad with returns, they'll just give you a new one from their stock. Don't utter anything about Macs though :p

Another MSY tip: avoid weekends - they get so busy! The Box Hill MSY is usually pretty quiet and is decently sized. The Pascoe Vale MSY however is tiny and always packed even on weekday afternoons.

hiredgoon
18th June 2007, 01:02 PM
its the only computer shop i know of that has a line outside the door.

sanjay
18th June 2007, 01:11 PM
its the only computer shop i know of that has a line outside the door.

thats a good thing...:)

heh good point decryption - i always go in the morning or about 20 minutes before they shut at night so i dont have to stand in line :D

Dubhousing
18th June 2007, 01:24 PM
I just did a ringaround for a 2GB stick for my Macbook Pro and was staggered at the price differential. One place even tried to tell me it was recently $1000 but they could offer it for $450. In the end I went to Streetwise Software and paid just under $200 but the moral is don't have a favourite supplier (sorry Clockwork), just shop around.

jubilantjeremy
18th June 2007, 01:36 PM
Third for clockwork :)

en.elle
18th June 2007, 01:58 PM
What brand does MSY sell? I know they are cheap, but I heard the macbooks are a bit picky when it comes to RAM.

en.elle
18th June 2007, 02:16 PM
I also noticed Clockwork doesn't have any RAM for macbook 2.16?

sanjay
18th June 2007, 02:28 PM
What brand does MSY sell? I know they are cheap, but I heard the macbooks are a bit picky when it comes to RAM.

they have hynix for $52, kingston or corsair for $62.

en.elle
18th June 2007, 03:11 PM

Thanks I'll look into it :thumbup:

emerson
18th June 2007, 04:09 PM

will these work in a MacBook or MacBook Pro???

WonderBoy
18th June 2007, 04:41 PM

These MacBooks take PC5300 SODIMMs just like the previous models.

PeterS
18th June 2007, 04:53 PM
I have always had good service from epowermac.
<http://www.epowermac.com.au/>

bassmanbliss
18th June 2007, 05:42 PM
I must agree with Peter. I just bought 4gb for my Mac Pro of epowermac and it was here the next day and the staff were great to deal with.

ilostmypassword
18th June 2007, 05:51 PM
This looks promising :)

http://stores.ebay.com.au/MacRamDirect-on-the-Web_Mac-Pro_W0QQfsubZ5849369QQfrsrcZ1

astr0b0y
18th June 2007, 07:25 PM
Everywhere but not Streetwise and MSY, Just make sure the Rams they are selling are certified by Apple(Meet all the specs, Inc nano second speed.)

Ha Ha Ha Ha. Certified by Apple. As if there would ever be such a thing. Oh Apple the all powerful..
Pft.

sideshow
18th June 2007, 08:01 PM
I must agree with Peter. I just bought 4gb for my Mac Pro of epowermac and it was here the next day and the staff were great to deal with.

What brand was the RAM from epowermac?

FBTN
18th June 2007, 08:21 PM
Ha Ha Ha Ha. Certified by Apple. As if there would ever be such a thing. Oh Apple the all powerful..
Pft.

What's so funny?

WonderBoy
19th June 2007, 09:51 AM
What's so funny?

I also wasn't aware of such a certification. FBTN, would you know where you can find out if RAM is "Apple Certified"?

Currawong
19th June 2007, 12:45 PM
Apple Certified = Apple have tested it in their machines and know it works.

decryption
19th June 2007, 01:00 PM

Is there a list of Apple Certified RAM published by Apple?

FBTN
19th June 2007, 01:31 PM
I also wasn't aware of such a certification. FBTN, would you know where you can find out if RAM is "Apple Certified"?

As far as I know, You can order Apple Certified Rams from All premium Resellers, (Nextbyte, MyMac etc) But not from Apple Authorized Reseller (Streetwise etc) I am sure some of the sales person at Premium Reseller may still dun know they can order these Rams yet but you can ask they to order from Apple for you.

And here is the list of all Apple Certified Rams:

http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/australiastore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=BCBCF4A&node=home/mac_accessories/memory

FBTN
19th June 2007, 01:35 PM

Not 100% right,

Apple Certified = 1. Apple have tested in their lab machine and it passed the test.
2. Apple certified those Rams are fully meet the Apple's specs, not just DDR/DDR2, not just PC5300/PC4200, but also the actual speed of clock cycle, Most of PC generic Rams are 3 nano seconds or some of them even worse, at 5 nano seconds, of course they are cheap.

decryption
19th June 2007, 01:35 PM
And here is the list of all Apple Certified Rams:

http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/australiastore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=BCBCF4A&node=home/mac_accessories/memory

That's not a list of Apple Certified RAM. It's just a section of their online store where you can buy memory upgrades from them (at jacked up prices).

I'm seeking a list of brands and part numbers that Apple has tested and gone "Yep, this gets our certification."

FBTN
19th June 2007, 01:55 PM
That's not a list of Apple Certified RAM. It's just a section of their online store where you can buy memory upgrades from them (at jacked up prices).

I'm seeking a list of brands and part numbers that Apple has tested and gone "Yep, this gets our certification."

Well, this is what Stuart H. told me where to get Apple Certified Rams. I guess most of you know who he is.

astr0b0y
19th June 2007, 07:55 PM
And where do you think Apple Australia buy their RAM from? And do you really think that only Premium Resellers have access to this supplier. Um, no. In fact, having worked as an Apple service technician it is painfully obvious that most Apple Premium and Resellers DO NOT use Apple SUPPLIED RAM and use a supplier of their choice. My experience shows that Apple uses a range of brands and sub brands (where the RAM chips are purchased by a board manufacturer and re-branded). Apple's RAM prices are grossly inflated (something that has slowly been changing over the last couple of years), just look at their current prices for 4GB of RAM for a MacBook Pro and then look at any of the large online resellers trying to make margin. You will find that in many cases the difference in the price you pay is almost $600! And that also means that the reseller is making 20-25 points on the RAM instead of Apple's incredibly tight margins.
This rant makes me tired.
Someone needs to write one of those well dugg front page articles on the REAL story of RAM, Apple Certified RAM so it can be stickied and the referenced to those with questions.

Do not believe the hype.

decryption
19th June 2007, 08:01 PM
Well, this is what Stuart H. told me where to get Apple Certified Rams. I guess most of you know who he is.

Who?

Someone needs to write one of those well dugg front page articles on the REAL story of RAM, Apple Certified RAM so it can be stickied and the referenced to those with questions.

Do not believe the hype.

Will be up tomorrow :)

ClockWork
19th June 2007, 08:18 PM

All MacBook RAM is PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 SO-DIMM.

1 GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 SO-DIMM = $110.20
2 GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 SO-DIMM = $273.00

Above prices include GST, Life Time Warranty, Express Postage or Registered Postage - your choice - and Handling.

(oh - and it's Samsung - yep - the same stuff Apple use)

:)

cw

The RAM Page is yet to be fully operational. I'll be posting a message here soon, in search of a Sydney based web coder. I have the design required.

FBTN
20th June 2007, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=decryption;311964]Who?

Stuart H.

Apple Australia Software Product Marketing Manager.

I thought some of you must have some sort of contact with Apple.

AppleMac
20th June 2007, 04:36 PM
I'm looking to buy RAM for my new Macbook.

I have been searching around the internet -
Why is Kingston so much more expensive?
- eg 1GB Kingston is $121
-but the Corsair 2GB (two 1GB modules) is around $120 also (which is "Corsair Mac RAM" labelled-on the product)

Am I missing something?

en.elle
20th June 2007, 05:08 PM
The 1GB Kingston at MSY is $62.. Unless thats not compatible with macs/macbooks..?

lailaikatong
21st June 2007, 12:59 AM
i got a 2gb Kingston (single 2gb module) for my MBP at streetwise today. Cost me $199... I think it's quite a deal... :-)

sanjay
21st June 2007, 01:08 AM
The 1GB Kingston at MSY is $62.. Unless thats not compatible with macs/macbooks..?

the $52 hynix (hyundai) will work just as well with any macbook/MBP

its so funny how people think they have to spend twice and three times as much on ram just so its 'apple certified' :p

ClockWork
21st June 2007, 01:53 AM
the $52 hynix (hyundai) will work just as well with any macbook/MBP

its so funny how people think they have to spend twice and three times as much on ram just so its 'apple certified' :p

and for how long will that RAM last?

One can purchase extremely cheap PC2-5300 from A-DATA - made in the People's Republic of China. It lasts... well - nearly a month. So I guess if you're after disposable RAM, that's a good deal.

(Often bought up by retail stores to max out display models for show purposes).

cw

FBTN
21st June 2007, 09:21 AM

Well, Apple never force customer to buy Apple Certified Rams, you can go everywhere to buy it, but for best quality Ram, Apple Certified is the way to go.

sanjay
21st June 2007, 09:37 AM
and for how long will that RAM last?

One can purchase extremely cheap PC2-5300 from A-DATA - made in the People's Republic of China. It lasts... well - nearly a month. So I guess if you're after disposable RAM, that's a good deal.

(Often bought up by retail stores to max out display models for show purposes).

cw

the ram has been in my HP NX8420 for over a month now and its fantastic...plus MSY will exchange it there for you on the spot if its faulty within 12 months.

at any rate, have you noticed what brand the ram that you take out of your macbook is? shock horror...its hynix...

ClockWork
21st June 2007, 09:56 AM
the ram has been in my HP NX8420 for over a month now and its fantastic...plus MSY will exchange it there for you on the spot if its faulty within 12 months.

at any rate, have you noticed what brand the ram that you take out of your macbook is? shock horror...its hynix...

I don't own a MacBook - so I wouldn't know. I only sell Samsung RAM Modules - with a Life Time Warranty - that's right - for Life - (or one could say: for the next 50 years) - and if it goes tits up at any point in that time line, a buyer can send straight back to me a be refunded instantly.

A month isn't very long - nor is a 12 month warranty.

Sometimes a product is most certainly over-priced, yet that's retail - because a company whacks a 300% margin on it. I have merely sliced away that margin.

But if a product is very cheap - too cheap to be true, in my experience, it is too good to be true.

Let's say you go to a SONY store, looking for a boom box. There's one that does this and that and the other, and it's going for $850.00. There's another that has a different design yet does exactly the same things, and is priced at $89.00.

What is the difference?

cheers,

ClockWork