PDA

View Full Version : Put yourself in Star Wars and The Abyss!

Johnny Appleseed
17th June 2007, 10:11 PM
This may not be news to everyone, but I've only just noticed these cool new iChat effects in Leopard. Combined with a custom backdrop they could be quite stunning!

OziMac
17th June 2007, 10:21 PM
They are very cool - Phil Schiller referred to the Star Wars 'Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi' effect in the keynote demo. :)

Revolution
17th June 2007, 10:37 PM
What the - how does the iSight "see through" you in the second image? How does it know what's behind you?

rickyd
17th June 2007, 10:40 PM
When you begin iChat backdrops, it requests you step fully out of the frame so it can see what is in the background :)

Revolution
17th June 2007, 10:43 PM
When you begin iChat backdrops, it requests you step fully out of the frame so it can see what is in the background :)Ah :) But if you move the iSight during the chat, does it ask you again?

Johnny Appleseed
17th June 2007, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't think so - at least not until you want to do another effect.

It will treat it as a static image, same as custom backdrops.

rickyd
17th June 2007, 10:46 PM
Good question. ask steve - 555-5555 :p

cosmichobo
17th June 2007, 10:47 PM
Mmmm! Gonna have to check that out... Oh - will iChat recognise just a standard video camera via Firewire?

rickyd
17th June 2007, 10:55 PM
I would say if PhotoBooth can, iChat will. Just my opinion though.

Johnny Appleseed
17th June 2007, 11:04 PM
I'm pretty sure it will.
Another good thing is that Leopard iChat will also record video, so you can e-mail a "holographic message" to your non-iChat-using friends!

OziMac
17th June 2007, 11:47 PM
Sorry, but this thread begged one of these. ;)

Obi-Wan's thinking of using a Jedi mind trick: Leia, you will stop showing off with iChat!

Johnny Appleseed
17th June 2007, 11:52 PM
Heh - nice one. Can't wait to start sending holographic transmissions like "Wipe them out - all of them!" and "He will join us or die, master!"

The Fluffy Duck
18th June 2007, 12:03 AM
Here is a little thing I did for multimedia a few years ago :)

http://members.optusnet.com.au/alvincol/starwars/starwarsWEB.mov

xfodder
18th June 2007, 01:18 AM
Here is a little thing I did for multimedia a few years ago :)

http://members.optusnet.com.au/alvincol/starwars/starwarsWEB.mov

ahahahahahaha i love the awkward silence afterwards, very nicely done!

Johnny Appleseed
18th June 2007, 11:27 AM
Good stuff!

Notice how iChat will use the all-blue hologram style of the SW prequels rather than the one with flesh tones like in the classic trilogy.

Now, if they'd just add a Matrix effect, life would be complete!

iGOOSE
18th June 2007, 11:35 AM
This was one of the few highlights from the recent WWDC as far as I was concerned.

Matrix mode would be cool as...

Johnny Appleseed
18th June 2007, 12:03 PM
This was one of the few highlights from the recent WWDC as far as I was concerned.

I thought the new features were cool, just not deserving of "top secret" status. QuickLook was the coolest, but it had already been leaked so was a bit of an anticlimax.

What we saw of Leopard last year was the best stuff, and it's still in there.

tommelbourne
18th June 2007, 12:05 PM
Mmmm! Gonna have to check that out... Oh - will iChat recognise just a standard video camera via Firewire?

Sure will. I use mine all the time in iChat.

Optogamut
18th June 2007, 12:28 PM
Was there something about people being able to plug in new effects? Or is it something I dreamt about?

Johnny Appleseed
19th June 2007, 11:42 AM
They are very cool - Phil Schiller referred to the Star Wars 'Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi' effect in the keynote demo. :)

Courtesy of Think Secret's WWDC gallery (http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/wwdc2007/), here's the holographic Phil Schiller!