PDA

View Full Version : CD drive on my mac BROKEN...?

Domenic
17th June 2007, 10:31 AM
Hey,
I have a one-year old iMac that is, unfortunately, JUST out of warranty. Anyway, recently, the CD-DVD drive hasn't been working. When you insert a DVD it tries to read it, making the usual noises, then makes a clicking noise and then spits it out! It's funny, because I tried using it heaps since it started making this noise, and there is a VERY small chance it works! I tried it with a futurama DVD and the first couple of times it clicked, and then miraculously WORKED! But then it didn't work after that as well. Oh, and normal CD's work good as well.

Any help? It's most annoying, because I use the CD drive EVERY DAY (who doesn't?) and I need it to work!!

Thanks,
Domenic.

The disk burning stats (from about my computer)
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-846:

Firmware Revision: FB2U
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: No

mctext
17th June 2007, 10:50 AM
Domzo,
Had exactly the same problem with the Matshita in my PB.
It died eventually and also out of warranty.
Bunch of folk on MacTalk also reported problems (inc. instant death) with Matshita drives.
The replacement ("refurbished by Apple" -- not a brand new drive) was quoted at a ridiculous price, given the current value of a 12" PB.
So I ended up pretty much using it as a desktop and bought an external CD/DVD reader/burner.
Had no problems with this and get better results that I do burning to my new MB.
Can put you on to the best deal I could get on an external drive, after much price checking -- though others on MacTalk may have cheaper and better solutions.
Hope it works out for you.

mct

silverdreamer
17th June 2007, 10:51 AM
Damn!..... Forgot the Applecare plan!.....:(

Domenic
17th June 2007, 11:16 AM
Haha, ok, thanks for your help.
Rang the Apple Support (At Next Byte) and they said that if it was a faulty drive they could give me a new one for around $200, and if it is a faulty motherboard connection, around $1000. I am not willing to spend one thousand dollars! I might just do what Mctext says, if it is a faulty connection just get a new drive.
Thanks for all your help...
Domenic

sanjay
17th June 2007, 05:34 PM
yeah, external drive is the way to go - bout $100 for an external enclosure and a DVD burner :)

Linux_insidev2
17th June 2007, 05:37 PM
try a cd/dvd lens cleaner first.

Byrd
17th June 2007, 06:50 PM
Hi domzo,

It's unlikely the drive's data cable has a "loose connection"; it's more a way for Apple to fob you off. The drive you have installed is a known dodgy unit - you could easily find a comparable model on eBay, or upgrade to another slot-loading notebook drive.

JB

purana
17th June 2007, 07:49 PM
I'd personally find a comparable drive that will fit, which is likely to be region free too. Which is a bonus, then just do the swap. Grab a service manual or something and do it yourself (assuming your not a bad at such things).

sanjay
17th June 2007, 10:14 PM
is it a standard notebook optical drive or will the bezel limit you to getting a slot loading one of the same brand/configuration, just so the hole lines up?